Acer Aspire Revo Is Awesome

Lost Trunk

Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking about a small, dedicated, low-power computer that could send streaming video (YouTube, Hulu, etc.) to a TV. I came across this review, which seemed nearly perfect...

http://gizmodo.com/5383094/acer-aspirerevo-upgraded-windows-7-ion-graphics-dual+core-atom-cpu

...except that it comes with Windows and I don't want to pay the "Windows tax" when I don't plan to use Windows. I found that if you go on a certain large auction site, there are several vendors in Taiwan selling them with Linux pre-installed. As with many people in this part of the world, I'm not entirely comfortable ordering something from outside the U.S.A. or Canada, but these things in most cases come with 2G of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive so it's quite tempting.

I then got to thinking that these might also make a great small Asterisk/PiaF box as long as one is using only SIP and/or IAX for trunks and endpoints (in other words, no requirement for a card inside). The specs certainly seem to be more than adequate, but I can't find anything on the web showing where someone has used one of these for that purpose. Are they unsuitable for some reason, or just so new that no one's tried one yet? Or is there a better alternative for a small, quiet, low power box? I don't want a notebook/nettop with built in screen and keyboard, etc. and the specs on this one look really good to me, though I'm no expert in hardware (when I mess with hardware, I tend to let all the smoke out!) :D

What other computers might be a good/better choice for small, low power, relatively noiseless operation at a decent price (the last qualification is what eliminates what might otherwise be my preferred choice, a Mac Mini - but dang, those things are priced like they are made of pure gold, due to the "Apple tax"!).

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Got one of the dual core models on order. Stay tuned to Nerd Vittles. We'll write it up.

Lost Trunk

Guru
Reaction score
Well I didn't expect you to go order one, but will definitely be looking forward to your review!

YoungOrtho

Reaction score
I'd love to have something like this for my home setup. I'll be particularly interested to see how much power it draws.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just received the single core version of the Acer Aspire Revo. Loaded it with the latest PIAF 1.6 beta with CentOS 5.4 from today's Nerd Vittles article using external USB CD drive with the image. There is no built-in CD or DVD drive so you'll need an external one to load it. The image is available on our beta download site.

Chose the ksalt install option which loads Asterisk 1.4. Then chose the A option on reboot to load our Gold Standard payload. No other network configuration was required.

Loaded Orgasmatron V following the instructions in the article. Everything seems to work flawlessly. Thanks, Joe!!

These Atom-based machines sell for about $200. They are very low power systems, extremely quiet, and tiny (about the size of a Mac Mini but half the thickness - 7.1"x7.1"x1.2"). They mount on a stand and run vertically. Run don't walk to buy one. They seem to be just about perfect Asterisk servers for a small office. If you need more horsepower, there's a dual core version with 2GB of RAM instead of one. I should have that one next week. Dual core model costs about $330.

212195496.jpg

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Ward,

Two quick questions if you don't mind..

* Does it have a slot/half slot for a FXO/FXS card of any kind ?

* You said on end, can it be laid flat or does it have to be on end. (Might be a good box for the Wife's HULU receiver with the built in HDMI). I would be concerned about it getting knocked off the stand by any number of ..........:eek:

Thanks...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Expansion slot = Mini PCI Express so you'd probably want an external FXO/FXS ATA.

No reason it couldn't lie flat without the stand.

Hulu seems to be fine. Flash content not so much at least with the single core units.

YoungOrtho

Reaction score
During install I am getting an error when downloading the kickstart file (PIAF 1.6 beta), Asus external USB CD drive.

When I then continue with a manual install and select the Installation Method of "local CDROM", it stalls with the message, "No driver found - unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type". :(

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
When you get this prompt, leave the default entry the way it is and click Proceed or Continue. It'll continue from there without a hitch.

YoungOrtho

Reaction score
I searched the forums here for "kickstart" and a number of others have had this issue when installing PBIAF from an external USB CD drive. It looks like it is a problem with the installer not being able to see the usb CD drive, and selecting the driver manually just leads to a base centos install.

Ward, what make/model of external drive are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:

mark-hc

Reaction score
I've also had problems in the past trying to install PIAF from a Sony external USB. Is it possible current PIAF builds can be installed from USB stick?

YoungOrtho

Reaction score
I searched the forums here for "kickstart" and a number of others have had this issue when installing PBIAF from an external USB CD drive. It looks like it is a problem with the installer not being able to see the usb CD drive, and selecting the driver manually just leads to a base centos install.

Ward, what make/model of external drive are you using?

I wasn't able to get this installed using an external USB CD drive. I finally got it installed by connecting my desktop internal SATA optical drive to the Asus box using a SATA to eSATA cable, and in the ASUS bios changing SATA mode from AHCI to IDE. Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else is having the same problem.

-Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
See my amended comment above. Just tried this on the dual core version and got the same error. Just click Continue or Proceed (whatever the choice is), and it will resume without any additional problems. Dual core is amazing difference in performance, by the way. :wink5:

mark-hc

Reaction score
Ward, you still didn't mention what Brand/model # of external USB your using did you?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Using an external HP USB DVD Writer. Booting from flash drives is too undependable at this juncture.

edisoninfo

Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone been using these or just playing? The dual-core version seems like it would be the best. How many phones/conversions/trunks would this handle? Anyone have any kind of benchmarks yet?

YoungOrtho

Reaction score
I'm using it at my home (single core version), never more than one extension at a time. I do get some audio anomolies that I don't get at my office, which has the same ISP (Comcast business) and voip provider (voip.ms).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baata
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.