Wow this is fun? - Help

Ptaylor

Reaction score
O.K. after doing my reading I decided and take the plunge and install PBX in a flash. I burnt my image and after choosing the appropriate driver (my CD is USB) I installed.

CentOS 5.2 appears to be installed correctly (I can log in as root) but nothing else. Somehow the script to load PBX in a flash is either not working or is broken.

Ideas/Solutions welcomed - small words and steps please I am a complete Linux newbie.

Thanks to all

jmullinix

Guru
Reaction score
Did you have the network cable plugged in. PIAF requires an Internet connection to install.

Ptaylor

Reaction score
Yes was plugged in and Internet is up

Thanks for the suggestion

drmurdoch

Reaction score
CentOS 5.2 appears to be installed correctly (I can log in as root) but nothing else. Somehow the script to load PBX in a flash is either not working or is broken.

Reboot the machine.

Install another script other than PIAF and see if your CentOS is having problems just installing any script.

dobbs

Reaction score
When you say "internet is up" do you mean that as in your networks other computers have access or that eth0 started and received an IP address?

Some NICs are not supported by CentOS, at least not without finding and installing a driver.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

The steps PiaF goes through to install are as follows.

1. Install Centos
  2. Reboot
  3. Get IP from DHCP
  4. Download Payload from Piaf servers
  5. Prompt for installation type.
  6. Install Asterisk, FreePBX, and some other stuff.
  7. Reboot
  8. Job done - over to you to configure.
It sounds like it is failing at 3 and/or 4

For the payload to be downloaded and then installed, it needs to:

1. Have access to the internet
2. Do domain name resolution.

Can you confirm that 1 and 2 above are in place. As long as they are, everything should work.

Joe

thunderheart

Reaction score
Do an 'ls ~' as root.

What files are there? Should be at least install.log and install-pbx.log in there.

May give you a clue.

Dallas

Ptaylor

Reaction score
Still trying

O.K. I am not any farther ahead, but thanks for some ideas. I am guessing something is happening between CentOS loading and PBX in a flash starting. (as per several suggestions) Here is some things I have done:

1. Reinstalled - yeah I know, but it was a faint hope of mine
(obviously did not improve anything - see below)

2. To confirm that I could be online I used (CD only) and
then installed Ubuntu 9.04. No problems with install or
Internet connection

3. When I log in as "root" I get -bash-3.2# which I don't
understand. Tried "install-netconfig" command not found
As per the suggestion "ls~" command not found but just
"ls" did produce: anaconda-ks.cfg install.log
install.log.syslog

Next steps of help needed:
  • how do I read the above files for any clues?
  • does it make any sense to try 1.3 PBX in a flash?
  • any other suggestions will be welcomed

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

can you ping stuff on the internet?

e,g,

ping www.google.com

If not, do the following

ensure you have a valid IP address.

Type ifconfig to see this. The entry is next to eth0 that you are interested in.

If not, type system-config-network, and fill in the gaps. Reboot and check you can ping the router.

If not, you need to install the driver for your card.

If you can, you have to add DNS services.

type nano /etc/resolv.conf

Type nameserver <Your DNS Server Address>

You can get your DNS address from say your windows computer by typing ipconfig /all at the command prompt.

Now you should be able to ping www.google.com

if you can, reboot

Then when the server reboots, you should be resisting various urges concerning the Enter key in a short space of time.

Joe

Ptaylor

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, yes I can ping google.com

Did not know how to stop, so I rebooted and I am back to thee localhost login:

What did this tell me? (other than I can connect to the internet)

Next steps?

thunderheart

Reaction score
If there is no 'install-pbx.log' then I'm guessing the script that actually downloads the payload and installs PIAF isn't running when it should. I believe this is supposed to happen after you reboot the first time. Look in /etc/pbx. Are there any files in there?

I don't want to step on Joe here as he is really the expert but you've proved that you have connectivity after phase 1 of the install. Did you eject the install cd after phase 1 but before the reboot?

Joe can verify this but I think that the iso just installs the Centos image with the install script configured to run on reboot. I expect they do that with an entry in one of the runlevels under /etc/rc.d. Just a guess really but it would work.

BTW, you can just hit CTRL-C to break out of ping next time you use it instead of reseting the box.

Dallas

Ptaylor

Reaction score
I am hoping not (i.e. pulled the CD out to soon). I must of done something stupid I can't find /etc/pbx (cd /etc/pbx correct?)

I am tempted to start again (i.e. reinstall) but I have done this already so I am reluctant. I am able to putty into the box

Any other opinions and or suggestions are more than welcomed

thunderheart

Reaction score
Yeah, the install process usually works pretty good. If I remember right, the cd should eject after you click ok to reboot. You take it out then. If /etc/pbx isn't there then the install script must not have run for whatever reason. Honestly, I'm just guessing here. I never tried to figure out how the install process works exactly because I've never had any trouble with it. Maybe Ward or Joe would elaborate in this area if one of them has a minute.

But yeah ... I'd put my money on pilot error :wink5:

Dallas

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Assuming you don't have a bad CD image but do have Internet connectivity, then I'd start over. Hang around for the first 15 minutes and remove the CD when the system starts to shutdown for a reboot. Then it should boot up and you should see that it successfully makes a net connection. Then you should be prompted to type A, B, or C. Type A and come back in 15 more minutes.

Ptaylor

Reaction score
Knowing the rep of the installer, I too am leaning to "pilot error" and so I will reinstall. Hopefully everything will go well, but I am sure to let you all know how it worked.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just installed it dozens of times at a seminar in Portland, OR so I'm fairly confident that an error has not crept into our baby. :D

Ptaylor

Reaction score
I think I finally have come up with the problem, it has already been talked about but I have not seen a solution. I have been trying to install using a usb Samsung writemaster and have been getting the kickstart error message.

The only solution I see is trying to scrounge around and find a internal CD that I can temp install.

If anyone has any other solutions I am open to hear them

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex_Spiridonov
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.