Dual Core Intel ATOM 330

paulrausch

Reaction score
I've had a long standing love affair with Asterisk on these new Atom processors. So far it seems like they are plenty powerful to handle the routine functions of VoIP calling. I'm looking to package together a new PBX package for our local customers who aren't quite ready for VoIP. As of now we've been using Dell Poweredge Servers. Customers seem to feel uncomfortable with having a 'regular computer' running their phones. They like the idea of an appliance. It'd be nice to get a small form-factor Atom machine that we can be easily mount into a wiring closet, and slap a company decal on.

I currently have the single core version of this machine running in my closet now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107043

I'm thinking of bundling one of these with a Sangoma card for FXO and selling them as a package deal with a few phones.

How many simultaneous calls do you think a Dual 1.6ghz ATOM processor could handle? The intended market for these phones are small businesses, 4-5 FXO lines and 5/6 SIP extensions.

greenwireit.com

paulrausch

Reaction score
After doing more research it seems like dual 1.6ghz is plenty. I'm looking forward to seeing how the dual-core performs on tasks like transcoding and recording.

Here is a good article I found

znelbok

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a rackmount version of these. Preferable one that can take one or two of the Sangoma cards (I need 5 FXO and 6 FXS)

Mick

marlonbaez

Reaction score
I recommend Shuttle K45 or SG31G2 barebones.
I'm using it successfully and I can install almost any Intel processor.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Looks cool. Please post your results

euser4life

Guru
Reaction score
Here is a link to a 1U atom server on eBay. I am thinking of buying this for my pbxinaflash system

http://cgi.ebay.com/1U-Intel-Atom-33...3A1%7C294%3A50

Jon

I have bought from that seller before and was pleased. Although I didn't get that model but rather this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1U-Supermicro-D...N%2BUCC%2BIC%2BUCI%2BSI%2BLM%2BLA&otn=4&ps=58

If you get that model and plan on running an FXO or T1 card you will need to purchase a special riser (check with the seller as he may be able to get you one added for little cost - also may want to add another HD so you can at least do a software raid one)

One last item. Ask the seller to include the wallmount bracket that comes with that rackmount case (mine was left out). I like the option of being able to rackmount this one or mount it to the wall. The good thing about this case is that it is only 14 inches deep so regular telco /data relay racks work perfect for racking these servers (plenty of depth space).

Good luck....

euser4life

nojstevens

Reaction score
Did you see the comments on that link about Linux?

This is an updated review from above. In addition to the NIC issues, there are some general problems running Linux on this box due to the BIOS. Under heavy load (e.g., from virtual machines), it seems to reboot using both CentOS 5.3 and Fedora 10. Fedora 10 also reports BIOS bugs on bootup so I suspect it's a poorly written BIOS. No BIOS updates from the manufacturer as of yet. Still playing around with it to try to get it to work...

Jon

Linetux

Guru
Reaction score
I have this same board. Takes a PRI via PCI Digium card, then passes calls via SIP to main box.

Had all 23 channels eaten up with a conference call this AM, load was 0.5-0.7.

But again, no extensions, no recording, etc.

foneman

Guru
Reaction score
1U Rack

We offer a 1U rackmount as well to our resellers for a turnkey solution.
Works well for up to 100 calls. Bench tested for more.
1URackmount.JPG

znelbok

Reaction score
These servers all look great, but how do you get two PCIx (or PCI) cards in them.

For my install I need 6 incoming lines and a minimum of four analog extensions. This means I need two cards at least - the sangoma cards only use one slot with daughter boards, but the 1u case does not have the two brackets available.

The other issue I see is that there are only PCI riser cards and no PCIx.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.