hardware recommendation for small system?

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
I am moving my pbx off my clarkconnect gateway - it was never officially supported, and I am tired of having to constantly fix permissions and such after a system upgrade. That said, I just got a rhino R8FXXX-EC card with one FXO and one FXS, so whatever I get will need at least one PCI slot (but only one is fine.) I already have too much bulky HW, so if possible, I'd like a fairly compact unit, which I will be installing PIAF on, and moving the rhino card to. I know I can get a T100 or somesuch on ebay, but I'd like something compact if possible - if not, that's okay (I'd like to keep the cost down too...)

euser4life

Guru
Reaction score

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Looking at the review for the compact unit itself scared me a bit - only a handful of reviews, two of them with significant negative comments. Maybe just bad luck on their part?

euser4life

Guru
Reaction score
The only problem people seem to have is with the NIC drivers, however PBXIAF remedies this by allowing you to install the drivers with the extra option during setup, or you can download the correct driver and set it up your self. The directions are pretty straight forward. The unit would be more than sufficient for a 30 to 40 extension phone system.

markiper

Reaction score
excellent recommendation

I was looking for a system similar to replace my Everex gPC2 (it is a phenomenal machine, but is taking up too much space).

dswartz, could you please post your comments, especially on the installation of the NIC driver (I am a linux n00b) once you get this machine up and running?

Regards,
markiper

markiper

Reaction score
did you get a CD-DVD drive for it?

According to the specifications for that mini-itx case, you will need to use a slim CD-DVD drive, did you get any in particular?

Regards,
markiper

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
good catch, no i didn't. i have an external USB cdrom i am going to use.

kieranmullen

Reaction score
Is there a listing of routers anywhere that can be flashed and asterisk could be loaded onto? (if not this is one site it should be on)

Thanks!

For a small compact system I'd recommend the following....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107043

You can mount this on the wall with the included wall-mount kit.

Just add a 2.5 inch HD for $50.00 w/ free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145251

And some Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144151

$13 with free shipping

You've got a nice green little system shipped for about $255.00

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
i don't recall any specific articles about routers

although i do remember reading a couple. i decided not to go that route, since i did want to do things like voicemail and other addons (as well as wanting to support FXO and FXS ports directly.)

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
Okay, report so far

Package came yesterday, and I got it all assembled. Opted to go for the asterisk 1.6 install, since I've been using 1.6 for awhile anyway. A couple of issues cropped relating to the hardware. I can see why a 2.5" drive was recommended - the HD bay is VERY tight if your PCI card is longer (as is the rhino.) I wasn't aware I would need a 2.5/3.5 adapter/bracket, so I ended up mounting the HD in the CDROM bay. The PITA was getting the PCI card to come out the back - the rear panel is really not well designed - I could NOT for my life get it to seat properly until I took a tin snips and snipped out the strip separating the two PCI card rear slot. It's updating packages now - stay tuned.

euser4life

Guru
Reaction score
I wasn't aware I would need a 2.5/3.5 adapter/bracket, so I ended up mounting the HD in the CDROM bay.

You shouldn't need an adapter bracket. On mine I simply rotated the 2.5 HD horizontally so it would match up with the screw holes.

I've got 2 HD's in there for software raid 1. One mounted on the CD tray and the other on the HD mount (rotated).

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
odd, that never occurred to me. i put it on top of the screw holes, saw it didn't match, looked at the cd bay, and said "aha!" one other nuisance: there is only the one power cable, which has a sata plug and molex plug (split from the same cable.) I need the molex connector to plug into the rhino card for ring voltage but if I do, the sata plug won't reach the drive in the cd bay. i guess i can try moving the HD (or just get a 6 inch male/female cable to extend it.)

markiper

Reaction score
so far so good I guess ...

those are some good news from your side, I might go ahead an order one to start the built of my Everex replacement. let me know how it goes with the NIC card driver, as that is the only thing that has me somewhat worried....

Regards,
markiper

gregc

Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it going. I ordered my setup this morning for my everex replacement. I have a Sangoma A101D and A200 to cram in there.

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
I decided to do as the other poster recommended and move the 2.5" HD to the HD enclosure, turning it 90 degrees, so the connectors are right next to the motherboard. Turns out that way, the molex plug can connect to the rhino card and the sata plug to the HD - no need for an additional cable. It was a little tricky, since the molex connector on the rhino ends up underneat the HD enclosure, so I had to lead it up and over, but all is good now. Also, I never had any problem with the enet driver - go figure..

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just an FYI on what the system looks like...
56-107-043-04.jpg

euser4life

Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't see it in the picture above, but the thing that makes this case so great is that it comes with wall mounts and looks fantastic on a plain old demarc board. Truly gives it the look of a telephone system instead of your client saying "Is that a computer?" Not that, that is necessarily a bad thing. I just think it is more professional looking....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baata
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.