TIPS Latest Raspberry Pi 3 Distros

howie954

Reaction score
Hi Everybody, I been out of the scene for a couple months due to a job contract I was assigned to but kept lurking around here and there and noticed there are some new distros for the Raspberry Pi 3.

I was checking out: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=17094

Then checked out:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pbxinaflash/files/IncrediblePBX13-Raspbian8 for Raspberry Pi 2+3/

So there I see the two choices of distros but at the top I also see:
Looking for the latest version? Download IncrediblePBX13.2.iso (890.2 MB)

I already know how to write my own iso image but what I am not sure about is which download I should use. I want the latest version with all the features so should I use the IncrediblePBX13.2.iso link or should I download:

incrediblepbx13-raspbian8-gvoauth.zip

then proceed with the instructions on: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=17094

Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I am so anxious to get back up to speed with IncrediblePBX for Raspberry Pi 3.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
@howie954 - the link for the .iso that's found at the top gets you to IncrediblePBX13-Raspbian8 for Raspberry Pi 2+3 and refers to another of the collection of iPBX files on Sourceforge - the .iso is used on computers with an optical drive.

The .iso files at (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pbxinaflash/files/IncrediblePBX13-12 with Incredible PBX GUI/) are not intended for any version of the Raspberry Pi.

Download one of the first two files listed (incrediblepbx13-raspbian8-gvoauth.zip or incrediblepbx13-raspbian8.zip) depending on your choice to use OAUTH and FAX, or if you want to install the IncredibleFAX function independently. Details are in the readme.txt file or in the text that accompanies the file listing on sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/pbxinaflash/files/IncrediblePBX13-Raspbian8 for Raspberry Pi 2+3/).

It comes down to unzipping the .img file from the file you download, and then using the appropriate tool to write the image to your microSD card, installing the microSD card in your Pi, and powering up the Pi. A couple of steps later and you'll have a functional iPBX. You'll be impressed with the speed of the user interface using the latest image for RaspPi.

edit: Looks like Ward already answered your concern while I was writing mine!

/Pete./

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thumb+up+though+because+great+minds+think+alike+_2d53f84e8fa41c529dd105acf1a35029.jpg

jpe

Reaction score
How do you turn all this security off? I can't even get the thing set up on a new. Everytime i log in ssh it wants me to change the passwords. then it locks me out. then i have to reflash the card and start over. which means lugging the pi to a tv because I can't set it up headless anymore. (don't know what sense that makes on a fresh copy).
I've been using this thing for a good while now, got a new pi to move from the pc and this is turning me off BIG TIME.
I swear i have redone this at least 10 times already and I know I'm not that stupid.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
@jpe You are missteping somewhere in the initial setup. The following procedure is found in the tutorial for setting up the RaspPi with Raspbian 8 Jesse that's found at: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=17094 - that's probably where things are going off the rails for you.

Installation Tutorial. Here’s everything need to know about installation and setup. “Automatic” means you just watch.
  1. Download and unzip Incredible PBX image from SourceForge (with or without GV OAuth support)
  2. Transfer Incredible PBX image to microSD card
  3. Boot Raspberry Pi from new microSD card
  4. Login to RasPi console as pi:raspberry to initialize your server (Automatic)
  5. Reboot after writing down your server IP address (Automatic)
  6. Login via SSH as root:password to randomize passwords & configure firewall (Automatic)
  7. Optionally, install Incredible Fax: /root/incrediblefax13_raspi3.sh (Credentials: admin:password)
  8. Enjoy!
Do Steps 3 through 5 when you have the Pi connected to a display - and a keyboard. Shut down you Pi. THEN connect it to your network and power the Pi back on. When you get to step 6, and you have your Pi connected to your network, power it back on. You're "headless" now.

Using SSH from another computer, and using Putty or another terminal emulator on your computer, direct Putty to the IP address you've written down from Step 5.

When you log in, as indicated in Step 6, using the user ID root, and the password password, you will be prompted for a plethora of password settings and changes. It may not be the best of ideas, but if you use the same password (make it complex of course) for all of the password requests, you'll find life is a lot simpler.

You'll find yourself getting quickly to Step 8: Enjoy!

/Pete./

Last edited:

jpe

Reaction score
thing is everytime i log in via ssh it wants me to change all the passwords all over again. asks for the old pw, enter it, tells me its wrong and locks me out. been through that a dozen times. cant ssh into the box right now banned.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
thing is everytime i log in via ssh it wants me to change all the passwords all over again. asks for the old pw, enter it, tells me its wrong and locks me out. been through that a dozen times. cant ssh into the box right now banned.
@jpe ... OK ... Of the several RaspPi iPBXs that I've built (including pre Raspbian 8), I've never experienced any of the problems that you've reported. And so, if you like, I'll attempt to duplicate what you're experiencing. Some details from you first:
  1. Which of the zip files from SourceForge have you downloaded?
  2. Have you re-downloaded the zip file from ZipForge, or have you been 'reusing' the copy that you had already downloaded? When (date) was the copy of the .zip file downloaded?
  3. Who manufactured the SD card that you're using? Is it a microSD card? What size (capacity) and Class (preferably Class 10) is it?
  4. What are you using (software) to load the .img file?
  5. Are you using a PC or a Mac to load the image to the SD card?
  6. What version of Raspberry Pi are you using?
  7. When you log into the RaspPi with a monitor and keyboard connected, with pi as the user and raspberry as password, what happens?
  8. What software are you using on your computer when you attempt to SSL into the Pi from your network?
Answers to the above, please ... and we'll see where things go.

/Pete./

howie954

Reaction score
The setup went flawless for me. I did notice however Linux Webmin icon is not initial screen as it use to be. Does this need to be installed separately?

Also, when I login, in the System Overview I have an error:
retrieve_conf failed, config not applied

and when I click on it I get:
Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1

Please advise

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The setup went flawless for me. I did notice however Linux Webmin icon is not initial screen as it use to be. Does this need to be installed separately?

Also, when I login, in the System Overview I have an error:
retrieve_conf failed, config not applied

and when I click on it I get:
Reload failed because retrieve_conf encountered an error: 1

Please advise

Did you try rebooting?

howie954

Reaction score
Yes, I did a reboot. I also should mention that I installed Incredible FAX prior to noticing this issue.

bravonoj

Reaction score
I am experiencing the exact same thing - I follow the steps verbatim - I've now done them 4 times - rebooting before going headless, etc... There is always the possibility that we are missing something in the very simple few steps it takes to get this up and running but I somehow doubt it. I had the older version running on the rpi2, and got really excited about getting the rpi3 running. No dice. Each and every single time I log in, it runs through the same damn script to change passwords, etc...

And then if I log into the fpbx interface, if I make any changes it shits all over itself. I can get as far as setting up my google voice trunk, then on asterisk reload, it all goes to hell.

Are we really missing something in the 7 step tutorial? English is my first language, and I promise I have lots of IT knowledge, lol!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Are you initially logging into the console as pi? After the reboot, are you logging in via SSH as root? What is the MD5 of your zip file??

bravonoj

Reaction score
Ward, I will check this tonight or tomorrow and post my results. I believe I logged in as pi:raspberry and then after the reboot I went in via SSH but can not remember which username I used at this point. I'll try again and let you know how I get on. Thanks!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Follow the tutorial carefully, and you shouldn't have any problems.

bravonoj

Reaction score
OK Ward - I may have been tired before, I'm trying it again and following along very literally to the comments and steps here; installing incredible fax now, no errors so far. Sometimes we need an extra push to get going, lol...now to get the 4 snow 821s working right...lol Thanks for your virtual help and everything else you do here.

EDIT: Got too happy I guess...i added my google voice trunk and I think it went through OK - I can't get a device to authenticate with 701 though. I tried using a Snom 821 and the grand stream gswave app...no go. Tried adding another extension and the freepbx web interface freezes if I apply changes. Going to do a fresh install again and try take 2...

EDIT2: Is there something in the PIAF firewall I should change? My server VLAN (which the RPi3 sits on) is 10.10.60.x and the voice VLAN is 10.10.50.x)

Last edited:

bravonoj

Reaction score
I have now followed everything on this forum posting as well as the nerdvittles article to the T, and each time there is a different issue. RIght now I can register a phone, but my flowroute trunk won't connect. When I pick up my extension I can make a call and get what to my untrained eye look like errors (this is from trying to just dial the "Today in History" extension: It plays the please wait message then hangs up. If I dial *68, it hangs up. I'm at a loss...I really want to replace our existing server with the RPi3, but this isnt working for me. I can't get Google Voice trunk to connect either. When I tried the Rpi2 I had gv trunk configured and working, and an extension configured with in and outgoing calls. With this? I've got none of that. I thought the Rpi3 would be better as the 2 had such a slow UI. Can anyone help further or should I just throw in the towel??

Code:
   -- Executing [86329@from-internal:1] Dial("SIP/1001-00000003", "SIP/86329") in new stack

[2016-05-18 00:03:55] WARNING[5091][C-00000003]: chan_sip.c:6064create_addr: Purely numeric hostname (86329), and not a peer--rejecting!

[2016-05-18 00:03:55] WARNING[5091][C-00000003]: app_dial.c:2411dial_exec_full: Unable to create channel of type 'SIP' (cause 20 - Subscriber absent)

== Everyone is busy/congested at this time (1:0/0/1)

-- Executing [86329@from-internal:2] Wait("SIP/1001-00000003", "1") in new stack

-- Executing [86329@from-internal:3] Set("SIP/1001-00000003", "TIMEOUT(digit)=7") in new stack

-- Digit timeout set to 7.000

-- Executing [86329@from-internal:4] Set("SIP/1001-00000003", "TIMEOUT(response)=10") in new stack

-- Response timeout set to 10.000

-- Executing [86329@from-internal:5] Flite("SIP/1001-00000003", "Please stand bye while we retrieve: Today in History.") in new stack

> 0x76110880 -- Probation passed - setting RTP source address to 10.10.50.15:11788

-- <SIP/1001-00000003> Playing '/tmp/flite_57326369.slin' (language 'en')

-- Executing [86329@from-internal:6] AGI("SIP/1001-00000003", "nv-today.php") in new stack

-- Launched AGI Script /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/nv-today.php

-- <SIP/1001-00000003>AGI Script nv-today.php completed, returning 0

-- Executing [86329@from-internal:7] Playback("SIP/1001-00000003", "/tmp/today") in new stack

[2016-05-18 00:04:00] WARNING[5091][C-00000003]: file.c:774ast_openstream_full: File /tmp/today does not exist in any format

[2016-05-18 00:04:00] WARNING[5091][C-00000003]: file.c:1100ast_streamfile: Unable to open /tmp/today (format (ulaw)): No such file or directory

[2016-05-18 00:04:00] WARNING[5091][C-00000003]: app_playback.c:494playback_exec: Playback failed on SIP/1001-00000003 for /tmp/today

-- Executing [86329@from-internal:8] Wait("SIP/1001-00000003", "1") in new stack

-- Executing [86329@from-internal:9] Hangup("SIP/1001-00000003", "") in new stack

== Spawn extension (from-internal, 86329, 9) exited non-zero on 'SIP/1001-00000003'

-- Executing [h@from-internal:1] Hangup("SIP/1001-00000003", "") in new stack

== Spawn extension (from-internal, h, 1) exited non-zero on 'SIP/1001-00000003'

raspberrypi*CLI>

Last edited by a moderator:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Are you using the OAUTH version or plaintext version of RasPi3? If it's plaintext, it may be that Google is blocking your login. The steps to fix this are covered in the Nerd Vittles tutorials:

If you have trouble getting Google Voice to work (especially if you have previously used your Google Voice account from a different IP address), try this Google Voice Reset Procedure. It usually fixes connectivity problems. If it still doesn’t work, enable Less Secure Apps using this Google tool.

If you have difficulty finding the Google Chat option after setting up a new Google Voice account, follow this tutorial.

Another option is to use an inexpensive SIP Gateway to Google Voice. The Simonics trunk in the Incredible PBX GUI is preconfigured for this purpose. All you’ll need is your Google Voice credentials. Get started with this tutorial.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.