SUGGESTIONS Read This Thread BEFORE posting here... Please.

gaijin

Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully this thread will help you find the information you need quickly. If you cant find what you need, be sure to try the search function. It saves a whole lot of time waiting for one of the gurus to get around to replying if the answer has already been posted.
If you love Piaf: DONATE DONATE DONATE
The guys need hardware and time to keep improving this product. There is no evil corporation behind this, just hard working Nerds and Geeks that want to make PiaF an even better product! If by using VOIP you saved $100 last year then why not consider donating half of that! If someone on the forum helps you fix your problem and saved you from professional paid assistance why not donate 25% of what that would have costed!

Only your contribution will keep this project barrelling along!

For the Pro's, if you wish to add to this post I will be periodically consolidating any additions to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rokhi

Reaction score
Installation Frustration - Password Hell

I have had a very frustrating time trying to set up freepbx using all manner of how-to's :banghead:
I just installed PIAF using the PIAF without tears doco (3rd format and install attempt), and when I got to the bit about actually using the system, could not get access - I did not know any of the passwords. The guide just went on ahead as if the reader somehow knew this mildly importand information already. So I looked around this forum, thought I'd start at the 'read this first' and found instructions on how to change the password. Apparently you have to do this via the command prompt - (not mentioned in PWT) but then I tried to make sense of these instructions.

Configuring WebMin. WebMin is the Swiss Army Knife of Linux. It provides TOTAL access to your system through a web interface. Search Nerd Vittles for webmin if you want more information. Be very careful if you decide to enable it on the public Internet. You do this by opening port 9001 on your router and pointing it to the private IP address of your PBX in a Flash server. Before using WebMin, you need to set up a username and password for access. From the Linux prompt while logged in as root, type the following command where admin is the username you wish to set up and foo is the password you’ve chosen for the admininstrator account. HINT: Don’t use admin and foo as your username and password for WebMin unless you want your server trashed!

/usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root password

Well ... you try to make that work. Of course, after setting the root password to password by following the instructions, I very quickly figured out that I would have to replace the word password with the one I wanted to use, and that admin is nothing to do with anything. But WHY! Why is this simple error here - in the most important document on the site!:rolleyes5:
I am about ready for tears already :cryin: now the experts are pulling silly mistakes like this.

I might add that every where I look, I am told the default username/password for asterisk admin from the PIAF front end is admin/admin - but it isn't! Why not! :mad5:There is so much conflicting information on this product I'm nearly ready to give up - but I won't be beat!

tomsyr

Guru
Reaction score
Getting started

I think I understand you - the entry point that you are starting from is not the best spot.
The *VERY* first step you should take is to read the Tom King guide that he built (before you even install), and this should be included at the top of this 'sticky' posting.

http://pbxinaflash.com/docs/InstallPBXInAFlash-1.2.pdf

Even though the doc is for 1.2, I did a quick scan of it, and it seems that there may only be a couple of very minor tweaks needed to reflect 1.3 - (current version).
In any event, reading this guide should be a pre-condition to downloading the distro :wink5:

rmavillarica

Reaction score
Greetings from the Philippines!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have spent about 5 minutes searching for a way to donate to PBXiaF but found no easy link. Apparently there is a big (non text searchable) donate button on the nerdvittles.com site. Is this the donation button for both PBXiaF and NerdVittles?

Also, may I suggest a Donate Button with a text link to make it easier for the the ignorant like me to find it?

And I apologize in advance for my meager contribution. Will give more when able.

Thank you to the team and the community!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Let me also add...

PLEASE DON'T SEND EMAILS TO US WITH TECHNICAL QUESTIONS.

Here's why...

1. It deprives the rest of the user community of being able to learn from your question and the ultimate answer. Not only is it not fair to the rest of the user community, but it also means the same question has to be answered over and over again.

2. The person you write seeking help may not be the best source for an answer. For example, I get emails with questions about add-on cards all the time. I HAVE NEVER USED ANY OF THEM so you really don't want to depend upon me for a good answer.

3. The whole purpose of these forums is to help others so that we all improve our skills as a result. PMs and emails short circuit that process.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Ha! I second that! I get 2-3 emails a day wanting free help. I have had a few people that were peeved I sent them off to the forums. Most were from people who did not evn know what a linux box was :banghead:

Course it is nothing like the old TB days when people actively threatened me :eek: Luckily we have a much nicer crowd over here who for the most part know the rules.

TANSTAAFL

Try to decode that one and win a prize :cool:

Tom

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
No fair Joe! Wasn't open to Dev Team members.... rather the great unwashed majority..............

hehe but you are right.

Tom

Bitnetix

Guru
Reaction score
Donating should be easy!

I found a PayPal link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.pbxinaflash.com/docs/

It should be at the top of every page....

Greetings from the Philippines!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have spent about 5 minutes searching for a way to donate to PBXiaF but found no easy link. Apparently there is a big (non text searchable) donate button on the nerdvittles.com site. Is this the donation button for both PBXiaF and NerdVittles?

Also, may I suggest a Donate Button with a text link to make it easier for the the ignorant like me to find it?

And I apologize in advance for my meager contribution. Will give more when able.

Thank you to the team and the community!

Tekmon

Reaction score
gaijin. Years ago my friend didn't get dates in high school as he was more interested in fixing hay bailers, which then were new technology and slightly complicated to repair for proper working order. He was called a geeky person. I fixed bailers too but stayed out late enough where the rumors didn't carry geek or nerd when pointing to me. Some how I regret that now, but don't frett. The info here is well said, I keep reading , learning, following the road, thread and sleuth of knowledge to understand Linux, pbxiaf and all that contributes to freedom of speech!
I will send donation. Thank-you and all the rest of you that brain spank graciously.
Tekmon

eCase

Reaction score
Donations, write-offs, Non-Profits, NSTAAFL, LMGTFY, etc...

darmock, jroper, and Mr. Mundy
you guys are the best...
When I finally get my PIAF server operational to use with Google Voice, and I can get a few months of free US calls for my business, I'd be honored to take all of you out for lunch :)
(or just make a nice donation to show my appreciation)
>On that note<
Are donations made to nerdvittles.com / pbxinaflash.com considered for tax deductions? In other words, have you guys taken the time to set up a Non-Profit corp in SC?
(http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t33c031.htm) or
(http://www.scsos.com/Public_Charities)
If not, I warmly suggest you do so. I'd be willing to volunteer 10-15 hours a month if you don't already have someone doing this for you. (Until I can make that "nice donation")
Warm Regards to all,
Ethan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.