FOOD FOR THOUGHT Yet another "Callcentric incoming" thread

pmosher441

Reaction score
Apologies in advance, since this has been covered several times previously, but even after reading every such thread I could find here and on DSL Reports, I can't quite understand what's going on with my current setup:

RaspberryPi running IncrediblePi 3.11.12
Asterisk 11.11.0
FreePBX 2.11.0.34
(not sure what else may be relevant)

My puzzlement is because incoming calls from my Callcentric trunk (registered exactly as they show in their FAQ) seem to be working without enabling anonymous SIP (SIP guests is ON). My Pi is behind a restricted cone NAT, no ports forwarded. I've also not done the dialplan modifications recommended in this forum to allow anonymous inbound calls specifically from CC. (I did include the 6 lines CC specifies for sip_general_custom.conf.)

Have I just been lucky somehow in that calls have worked so far, but that they may cease working at some unknown time? I would just as soon leave well enough alone at this point, but I'm also a little concerned that it may be working by accident, and not by design.

Can anyone explain why this is (or seems to be) working?

Thanks -- Pauline

Mango

www.toao.net
Reaction score
(SIP guests is ON).
[...]
(I did include the 6 lines CC specifies for sip_general_custom.conf.)

I bet that's why it works. Can anyone explain the difference between "anonymous SIP" and "SIP guests", to confirm?

Edit: confirmed. Found this:

Bdfz7QvCMAA4JRk.jpg:large

I checked Callcentric's suggested configuration for PIAF. They suggest that you add context=from-pstn to sip_general_custom.conf. My interpretation is this has the same affect as Allow Anonymous Inbound SIP Calls.

With this configuration, you should be using a restricted cone NAT firewall with no port forwarding or DMZ to secure your PBX, unless there is a specific requirement for it to work some other way. I believe you mentioned in another thread you already have such a firewall. :)

pmosher441

Reaction score
This seems logical, and yes, I have a HW restricted NAT firewall, thanks for asking:).

Can anyone tell me where SIP calls would be directed (i.e. to which context) if context=from-pstn were not included as noted above? That is, what effect is the specific Callcentric configuration having?

Thank s

billsimon

Reaction score
The default public context in FreePBX is from-sip-external. By overriding it with from-pstn you are bypassing the "Allow SIP guests" and "Allow anonymous" parts and treating all otherwise uncategorized calls that hit your server as though they came in on a trunk.

pmosher441

Reaction score
OK, thanks, that's helpful. I have defined inbound routes for all my DIDs, and an "any/any" route mapped to Hangup for any others. Is this the right way to handle unexpected inbound traffic, or would it be better to omit that catchall route and just define the ones I'm expecting?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.