FOOD FOR THOUGHT XIVO Endpoints Losing Registration

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
I actually have more than one question but all are related to XIVO 16.13 PIAF version.

First some details:
I have 30 phones and 30 phone numbers connected using voip.ms as the trunk.

Server is on Digital Ocean.

Now for some questions of mine.

1. Does Traveling Man 3 cause some intermitten issues? I've ran into this very same problem on more than one server. The white listed IP address (it is static) doesn't always work. It goes in and out but not on everything. For instance the phones will work but then I can't access the web gui. After a few hours both starts to work.

2. The 30 phones are GXP2130 with the latest firmware 1.0.7.97. Several times a day they will drop registration for several minutes. I was leaning towards the phones but I see this softphone I have setup is also doing the same thing. Is there some settings I can tweak for this? It's maddening because it's intermitted.

3. Server is running at 77% memory usage with 87 megs free and 739 used. Do I need to increase the memory?

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
quick update:

I doubled the cpu and ram which also would have required me turning the server off and back on again. Well, getting endpoints to stay registered or reregister after the reboot is even harder.

markieb

Reaction score
Grandstream devices are notorious for losing registration and notifications on the new .97 firmware.
Many people are having better experiences with the older .25 firmware instead.
Some have reported under 'Account - Sip Settings - Basic Settings' setting the Registration Expiry and Subscription Expiry to 1 makes registration more stable.
I think that's a last resort though till a new "fixed" firmware is released.
The Grandstream forums are full of people complaining about this very problem.

Hope that helps.......

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
Thanks.

I think another step that I HAVE to do is get this travelin man stuff off the computer. My zoiper softphone also reregisters if I remove the IP from the whitelist and add it back in.

More importantly I can only go about 15 minutes before it blocks my web access!

Anyone got suggestions on how to do that without breaking it?

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The last thing you want to do is turn off the firewall. It's not causing the problem if the IP addresses of the phones are static. Sounds like a (typical) Grandstream firmware problem.

You can verify this by temporarily turning off the firewall for a few minutes to see if you get different results:
Code:
/etc/init.d/netfilter-persistent stop

Don't forget to turn it back on! It's your phone bill.
Code:
iptables-restart

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
Very true on the security and I do need something. Thank you for the commands.

The polycom and the zoiper softphone on my computer also lose registration at the same time as I lose access to the web. I am timing it but it does seem to be 15 minutes.

The grandstream phones will be setup with static dhcp (only a few right now) but the ip addresses are not changing right now.

Going to test it right now!

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
I just ran

/etc/init.d/netfilter-persistent stop

however, it still did the same thing with registration and losing web access until I removed and re added the ip?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
That tells you it's not the firewall causing the problem so be sure to turn the firewall back on: iptables-restart

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have had it turned back on but it must be the firewall otherwise the /root/add-ip and /root/del-account commands wouldn't temporarily fix the issue.

Also if I just run the 2 commands that doesn't fix my issue.

code: /etc/init.d/netfilter-persistent stop
iptables-restart

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Sorry. Don't know what that means. Which option are you choosing when you run add-ip. Option 0 is probably the easiest which opens all ports for the specific IP address. You only run the command once for each IP address. If you're running any VoIP server without an active firewall blocking unwanted IP addresses, you're just asking to get hacked.

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
Thanks for your patience. I am running the xivo server in digital ocean. I have white listed 3 ip addresses using Option 0 on both. When I lose access to the gui is also the same time the phones lose registration. If I remote into one of the other white listed IP addresses I can then run the commands which brings registration back.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just to be sure I understand. All of the phones lose registration? If not, which one(s)? Do you lose the ability to access the Web GUI from your home/office using what has already been set as a WhiteListed IP address? Once you lose access, do I understand that you then remote into another site that is also whitelisted and you SSH from there to the original D.O. server? And, once you gain access, all of the phones work again with your changing anything? If all of that is true, then you REALLY need to start over with a fresh install of 16.16 and load your settings an WhiteList rules again.

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
Yeah. That is what happens.

Unfortunately luck (and time) is not on my side. I tried to do a fresh install of 16.16 and it installs but when I try to add a user there are two different errors I receive and still on digital ocean. When I click on "line" tab for the user I get this:

• Unexpected error:

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.