QUESTION XIVO DHCP Server on Digital Ocean

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
I think I am in need of some help or the very least a first step. Have installed the piaf wizard of XIVO on Digital Ocean.

I have a quite a few Cisco 7961G SCCP phones that need provisioning. Flashing to SIP has really been hit or miss for me in the past so I am trying to keep this group as SCCP. This requires setting up a dhcp server and following the SCCP part of the tutorial.

My question is right at step one in the DHCP setup. Since this server is going to remain at Digital Ocean and I have turned on DHCP Relay in my router. What should I put into the very first box in the DHCP tutorial located here: http://documentation.xivo.io/en/stable/system/dhcp/dhcp.html#dhcp-configuration.

Right now I have put in my local network's start and end ips. Do I need to also use the extra network interfaces box? I have a obihai phone that doesn't sho wup in the devices list so I am obviously doing something wrong before I even get to the SCCP phones.

--->Not using a VPN

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
I have tried quite a few things and haven't found the right settings. Anyone have any suggestions? My last test broke the server.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
DHCP packets are restricted to a single subnet. They will not cross the internet. What needs to be done is setup a local dhcp server with the settings that Xivo requires. Also, if you are using non-java phones, you'll have to setup a local t*f*t*p server for the config files. t*f*t*p also doesn't like traversing across the internet.

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
Thought that turning on DHCP Relay would do the trick. That's fine then.

I have seen a few XML files for these phones as SIP for freepbx but not SCCP. Would these same XML files work for XIVO? I know they are only supposed to work as SCCP and not SIP.

I have a t*f*t*p server setup.

rjaiswal

Reaction score
Xivo has there own SCCP module. For this to work, you would need to copy the auto generated xml files from xivo, and host them on a local server. You might need to manually adjust the files to cope with NAT and ports. Cisco SCCP phones were never really meant to work on the open internet. CCM has a built in IPSEC firewall and the phones have an IPSEC client, if they need to be hosted remotely.

You really need a VPN between the host and your phones for this to really work properly. XIVO doesn't support the built in IPSEC client on the phones. You would a device to open the tunnel for you. A rasberry pi could handle that for you. Also, the VPN would need to be setup so that the phones are in the same subnet so that the XIVO DHCP server can serve ip addresses to them.

Ben Uecker

Reaction score
I should have remembered that the files are right there in that module. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will have to think this through some more. They won't work at all with the SIP firmware?

rjaiswal

Reaction score
Xivo should work with them using SIP firmware, however, these phones were meant to run SCCP. SIP was just an afterthought, and it shows. And even with SIP, setting up the proper NAT settings is difficult. Some settings work with one version of the firmware, but don't work with a newer version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OctavianBebu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.