ALERT WootHosting Deals

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
You know, when you factor in all the time I don't have to spend, the RENTPBX sponsored deal is really really great..

Also hoping I am not jinxing myself, but I have had no downtime in years or resource issues.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
And so it begins.

I'm using my woothosting - now AlphaRacks - as my mail server.

They, AFTER THE FACT, sent out an email stating that they had upgraded my system 'for free' to faster procs and faster RAID (of course if there's RAID, why did they want to wipe my system last month as the only resort?). To do so, they claim they had to change all the IP's

Of course, since my VPS is my mail server, there was no chance that the email they sent (OR THAT ANYONE ELSE SENT) would reach me.

I only found out as I manually tried to visit the webmail page and timed out.

I've updated all my DNS records, but of course they didn't update the reverse PTR (half assed conversion on their part). I'm not sure what else (DKIM, etc.) relied on my old IP, but I'm sure I'll have fallout for the rest of the week.

Who changes a static IP and then sends a 'by the way' notice?

Uggg.

Andrew

jreming

Reaction score
@AndyInNYC Oh man thats rough, have you considered a backup email service, or just to a better vps as a secondary mx record.

Idea being that the backup can store all the mail in a catcha all box, and move them to the main when ever it comes back. The good thing about email is it will try to be delivered for awhile (1-2 weeks in some cases).

Also i you think thats bad, I when I hosted my email server with wot, I set my PTR and everything and then I released the ip not long after I migrated it (reinstalled). Fast forward about 7-8 months and I keep getting these dmarc spam reports (mostly from google, but from a few others) telling me someone on my server is sending spam.

The sad thing is I am pretty much the only user with the exception for a few forwarding boxes, but after looking at the forensic reports they all seem to be coming from my old ip. Turns out woot reissued my old ip but failed to clear the PTR record so it would always resolve back to my mail server.

Luckily I was not added to any block lists or anything like that and woothosting resolved it pretty quickly after a ticket was raised, but I cant believe that was something they didnt do automatically.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Well the AlphaRacks/Woothosting saga continues.

My mail server has been offline for most of the last week. There is apparently (per the internet trolls) some form of war between QuadraNet and AlphaRacks. The LA & Miami datacenters are down. They claim to be working on it and will offer SLA credits.

Still looking for a replacement VPS in the $10/month price range. I (in theory) have 4 cores, 1GB port speed, 150 GB of storage and 2 GB RAM. I actually have an unresponsive IP.

Andrew

jreming

Reaction score
bunch of options, do you require KVM?

2 of my favorite are

flipperhost.com (OpenVZ but no issues, with several of my vps's 4c 4-5gb ram w/ 100gb hdd)
hyperexpert.com (KVM)

If interested I can post some sale links (flipperhost) and my referral, or hyperexpert's sales page (normally 10% off)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We've dropped AlphaRacks from the recommended list. Too many issues lately. WootHosting apparently is contagious.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I had two VPS instances with AlphaRacks at their Los Angeles data center. Both went off line on Thursday (5/16) afternoon. What you find about AR on LowEndBox is pretty bleak with regard to opportunity for recovering any data from the dead services. I had just put a client on the first one of the services, so had to scramble for an alternate service (used HostedSimply) to configure. Fortunately I had not yet configured anything meaningful on the second of the services, so no great loss on there.

Hope that everyone that had been using AR had backups of their data as there's no indication that any data will be recoverable. My backup was from a few days prior to the shutdown, so a few configuration files (voicemail greetings, in particular) are among the 'gone'.

/Pete./

Last edited:

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
So, I signed up at flipperhost.com. For $58/year I have 4 core/4GB memory/125GB storage/100 MB port speed.
Thus far, the machine is much faster than woothosting/alpharacks with their nominal 1GB port speed (and 2 GB of memory).

I've had 2 tickets with them - 1 to set up a reverse DNS entry on their side and 2 to fix me being locked out by fail2ban. Both tickets had a really fast response time and resolution.

I added my ignoreip to both jail.conf and jail.local. Hopefully the jail.local setting will fix the problem. I don't understand why iRedMail was suddenly triggering me (or flipperhost had some setting on my machine I never saw <g>).

One difference between woothosting and flipperhost. Woothosting's web panel had an ssh button which gave a 'super user' account which fixed being locked out. Seems that flipperhost does not. They were able to fix the problem, but I don't know what they did.

One happy camper so far - although it is still very much the honeymoon phase.

Andrew

shetu

Reaction score
So, I signed up at flipperhost.com. For $58/year I have 4 core/4GB memory/125GB storage/100 MB port speed.
Thus far, the machine is much faster than woothosting/alpharacks with their nominal 1GB port speed (and 2 GB of memory).

I've had 2 tickets with them - 1 to set up a reverse DNS entry on their side and 2 to fix me being locked out by fail2ban. Both tickets had a really fast response time and resolution.

I added my ignoreip to both jail.conf and jail.local. Hopefully the jail.local setting will fix the problem. I don't understand why iRedMail was suddenly triggering me (or flipperhost had some setting on my machine I never saw <g>).

One difference between woothosting and flipperhost. Woothosting's web panel had an ssh button which gave a 'super user' account which fixed being locked out. Seems that flipperhost does not. They were able to fix the problem, but I don't know what they did.

One happy camper so far - although it is still very much the honeymoon phase.

Andrew
Hi
I did not find sign up link for per year vps plan. Is your vps is openvpz or kvm?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Well, Hosting73 WAS one of our favorite low-cost providers until this exchange:

Hey Marcus,
Cancel the account. This is my final message about this. Can you not see my email address in EVERY message that has been posted?? Do you think I dreamed up all the information that has been provided? We actually write about technology and have recommended Hosting73 IN THE PAST, but I think we probably need to reconsider in light of this thread of messages which has now gone on for more than a week!
--wm

IP Address of VPS: 107.175.113.226

Invoice #177523
Invoice Date: Thursday, May 16th, 2019 Due Date: Thursday, May 30th, 2019

VPS 8GB - (05/30/2019 - 06/29/2019) Operating System: Centos-7 64bit

===================================================
Thursday, May 23rd, 2019 (17:49)
Marcus Morgan, Staff
Hi,

Please open a ticket from your registered Email-ID.

Regards,

Marcus Morgan
Hosting73 Sales & Billing Admin
https://www.hosting73.com/
[email protected]

Thursday, May 23rd, 2019 (06:21)
Matheus Costa, Staff
Hi Ward - and thank you for submitting your inquiry today.

At this time, I am going to escalate this ticket to our administration & management team to better assist you with this inquiry. They will update you as soon as possible (although please note that they are only staffed during normal business hours).

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Matheus Costa
Hosting73 Technical Support Admin
[email protected]

Thursday, May 23rd, 2019 (03:50)
We no longer use the product that was running on this VPS. Thx.
--wm

Thursday, May 23rd, 2019 (03:46)
Matheus Costa, Staff
Hi,

Kindly let us know the reason for cancellation?

Regards,

Matheus Costa
Hosting73 Technical Support Admin
[email protected]

Thursday, May 23rd, 2019 (02:39)
Received another invoice for this VPS. I already requested that this VPS be cancelled. Thanks.
--wm

IP Address of VPS: 107.175.113.226

Invoice #177523

Thursday, May 16th, 2019 (04:14)
Please cancel our VPS at 107.175.113.226.Many thanks.
--wm

Invoice #177523

kenn10

Reaction score
@wardmundy I agree that Hosting73's entire ticket process is a pain. You cannot open a ticket from the control panel of the VPS but rather have to log into the main Hosting73 website. Other than a couple of glitches, I'm still getting good service out of the VPS otherwise. Customer no-service seems to reign supreme these days on any non-premium service (and even on many premium services.)

KNERD

Reaction score
Most of the complaints are they randomly shut down users servers every day to every couple of days and they need to be manually turned back on by the end user

I had that happen ALL the time. When I would complain, they would give generic reply of "your VPS is functioning just fine. " I had enough and left,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.