RECOMMENDATIONS What's your backup strategy?

mattseymour

Reaction score
I've done a bit of reading around this but found quite a bit of old information, so what are you doing?

I use DD to take a clone of the server system disc, which should work for a bare metal restore. I'd also like to have a backup I could restore to a fresh PIAF install and I don't know how to best achieve this.

Am I best to use the FreePBX backup routine or do something with one of the PIAF backup scripts (although there seems to be more than one and I'm easily confused).

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
For a total disc img I use RedoBackup, for backing up PIAF to install on a fresh server I use Incrediblebackup11. I have used these many times without any problems.

gary

Huckda

Guru
Reaction score
I used FOG(free open ghost) to image my system and have an identical one just sitting by ready to plug in the cables to make it live.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Clonezilla. I dump the backup to a Samba drive and then have the ability to make a self-booting/self restoring CD/DVD copy. If I'm planning on 'trying new things until they break' I can just restore from my stable CD version in minutes and be right back up.

I will also make a DVD archive at times just to limit the 'wasted' space on the server from multiple backups. My backups are bigger than a fresh install because I record all calls in/out of the system.

I like this technique because it locks in *everything* vs trying to do a freepbx backup and then remembering all the 'it was supposed to be just one time' stuff to make the Digium board work, get faxing working, etc.

Andrew

Reaction score
My preferred method is a ddrescue image for the initial backup and then dirvish running nightly, so if the system dies I can image a new disk and then dump the dirvish backup over to it to get it back how it was at the last nightly backup.

Reaction score
Considering that Dirvish is basically a set of scripts to do backups using rsync over ssh with hardlinks and such, there probably wasn't really anything else to do once they got it working reliably.

mvoip

Reaction score
I run PIAF on ESXi (free version) and do backup with free version of Veeam. But you will need one Windows host (could be virtual hosted on same ESXi) to run Veeam services. Very stable and easy to maintain.

JimLS

Reaction score
The document I found for incredible backup (perhaps not the latest)
http://pbxinaflash.org/piaf6/docs/incrediblebackup2.pdf
states it will only work for exactly the same configuration setup (same version, modules, etc) so this is useless to upgrade - If I have a major crash I will likely use the opportunity to upgrade to the latest. Does Incrediblebackup11 not have this limitation? I am a bit confused about which config files are generated by programs and which ones I can change (and thus could back up manually). I need a simple backup method.

hbonath

Guru
Reaction score
We just rolled out Storix across our PBX platform: http://www.storix.com/
It's a full-featured bare-metal recovery software that has the ability to do hardware-independent restores.
It's probably a bit of a pricy solution for a typical single system, however if anyone is deploying bulk systems it has a nice central manager, as well as the ability to multi-tenant the manager and backups for multi-customer deployments.

Prior to this, I would keep an offline .vmdk of a template-vm, and then use the built-in FreePBX backups sent to an online backup system.
Which is a really good solution for a VM based setup, as a restore was a simple copy of vmdk to a new VM, then copy the .tgz file onto the target system and use FreePBX to restore, which is a pretty fast restore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.