TIPS What's a good router for PIAF?

lifespeed

Reaction score
About the RTP issue, I don't think I've had that issue with x-lite myself, but I know what you're talking about.
The issue could probably be worked around by limiting the ports used for RTP on the softphones and use ranges that do not overlap between them.

There's also a sip proxy package you could add to pfsense that can help with this.

Bria for softphone does not want to confuse we stupid users by providing access to esoteric settings like RTP or UDP port ranges. Therefore, I will probably have to fix the router.

It might be simpler to switch SIP clients, but really I can't have a router with that kind of a bug in it.

I will assemble a small Atom or AMD Fusion PC soon and learn pfSense.

lifespeed

Reaction score
I can't believe they fixed it!!

The new firmware version, 1.5.1, for my Draytek 2130 was released, and it fixed several ills associated with PIAF. It appears the firmware is actually being developed open source with the page on google code. :biggrin5:

Both of my complaints, port overloading when using the smartphones, and no RTP audio when using internal extensions when registered from outside my LAN via work network are fixed.

Sure, somewhere down the line I would still like to use PFsense for the ability to do layer 3 routing (VLAN) with a GUI interface. But the Draytek can actually do that, but you have to delve into the minimally-documented command line.

Anyway, the Draytek 2130 is a very high-performance router that can now properly support PIAF.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

Note that the Drayteks regularly get the A-List slot in PC Pro magazine in the UK http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist however they are not cheap, but are feature rich and useful for joining branch offices together and providing remote VPN access.

These are routers for business, not really the home.

Joe

lifespeed

Reaction score
Hi

Note that the Drayteks regularly get the A-List slot in PC Pro magazine in the UK http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist however they are not cheap, but are feature rich and useful for joining branch offices together and providing remote VPN access.

These are routers for business, not really the home.

Joe

A full-blown IP PBX is arguably for business and not the home also. But I am happy with the flexibility and control I get with PIAF. It has made my goal of a single phone number reaching me anywhere, and fixed-mobile convergence a reality. We have heard much lip service to FMC over the years, but AFAIK the only way to accomplish it seamlessly, today, is with Asterisk.

I am similarly pleased with my 'business' router used in the home, at least after they updated the FW. No, they are not cheap, but as internet speeds climb decent routing horsepower (and hardware NAT in this case) are required to avoid the router being a bottleneck. To me, it is worth a few extra bones to have something that performs up to expectations.

Fortel

Guru
Reaction score
DDWRT and pfsense

We've used Linksys RV082 dual WAN routers for their failover, and they work well. Very easy to set up and create QoS rules, etc.

And we've used DDWRT installed in various commodity routers, most recently in the Asus WL-520GC. That's a $29.99 wi fi router at NewEgg. ($19.99 if you're willing hassle through a rebate process!)

There have been no issues (audio or otherwise) with the above routers installed in various scenarios.

In some cases, you may need something heavy duty. I'm very sold on PfSense! We have two HP servers (DL360 G4) loaded with Pfsense in a data center. They've been up for one year, and have never been rebooted, and have never had a glitch. They are both running in transparent bridge mode with two NICs, which was fairly easy to set up. I owe some thanks to the guys in this forum for the recommendation.

Peter

Fortel

Guru
Reaction score
DDWRT and pfsense

We've used Linksys RV082 dual WAN routers for their failover, and they work well. Very easy to set up and create QoS rules, etc.

And we've used DDWRT installed in various commodity routers, most recently in the Asus WL-520GC. That's a $29.99 wi fi router at NewEgg. ($19.99 if you're willing hassle through a rebate process!)

There have been no issues (audio or otherwise) with the above routers installed in various scenarios.

In some cases, you may need something heavy duty. I'm very sold on PfSense! We have two HP servers (DL360 G4) loaded with Pfsense in a data center. They've been up for one year, and have never been rebooted, and have never had a glitch. They are both running in transparent bridge mode with two NICs, which was fairly easy to set up. I owe some thanks to the guys in this forum for the recommendation.

Peter

Tekmon

Reaction score
Cant see the 4300 in stock any more. What do you think of the 4500 - 87 bucks ebay.
Detailed item info

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Information[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The D-link DGL-4500 router makes your gaming experience absolutely marvelous. The Game Fuel in this D-Link wireless router allows you to make your desired changes to your network settings to prioritize game traffic. You can check all network information like internet, LAN, WAN, etc. on one screen with this D-Link gaming router. Enjoy playing alone as well as going online with this D-Link wireless router. The Shareport technology in this D-Link gaming router enables different users on the same network to share devices like a USB printer. Go beyond the existing networking technology and experience the wonder of gigabit speed with the D-link DGL-4500.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Identifiers[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brand[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]D-link[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DGL-4500[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MPN [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DGL-4500, DGL4500RE[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UPC[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]790069309540[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Key Features[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Connectivity[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wireless[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Antenna Type [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Detachable Antenna x 3[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Interfaces[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LAN Interfaces[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10/100/1000 Base-T[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WAN Interfaces[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 x 10/100/1000 Base-T[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Additional Interfaces[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 x USB[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Standards [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WLAN Standards[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11g/b, IEEE 802.11n[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LAN Standards[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IEEE 802.11a 5 Ghz 52 MBs, IEEE 802.11b 2.4 Ghz 11 Mbs Wi-Fi, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.3 CSMA/CD or Ethernet, IEEE 802.3u 100 Mbps (Fast Ethernet)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Protocols[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]General Protocols[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IPSec, L2TP, PPTP, VoIP[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remote Management Protocols[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HTTP[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VPN Protocols[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IPSec, L2TP, PPTP[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Firewall / VPN[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Firewall Features [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NAT, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VPN Protocols[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]IPSec, L2TP, PPTP[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wireless[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]802.11a Data Rates[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]54 Mbps, 48 Mbps, 36 Mbps, 24 Mbps, 18 Mbps, 12 Mbps, 9 Mbps, 6 Mbps[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]802.11b Data Rates [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps, 1 Mbps[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]802.11g Data Rates [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]54 Mbps, 48 Mbps, 36 Mbps, 24 Mbps, 28 Mbps, 12 Mbps, 9 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps, 1 Mbps[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nonstandard Data Rate [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]300Mbps (802.11n)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Modulation[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16QAM, 64QAM, BPSK, CCK, DBPSK, DQPSK, DSSS, OFDM, QPSK[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Security [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WEP, WPA, WPA2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WEP Encryption Length[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]128 bit, 40 bit (=64 bit)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dimensions[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Height[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.2 in.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Width[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4.6 in.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depth[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7.6 in.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0.7 lb[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Miscellaneous[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Release Date (Year)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2007[/FONT]

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-D-Link-DGL-...996181?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item4aabbeec55
Thanks.

rshafer0

Reaction score
PfSense

I did now know there was another firewall/router out there. There used to be many firewalls out there but now there is only pfSense to me.

lifespeed

Reaction score
I did now know there was another firewall/router out there. There used to be many firewalls out there but now there is only pfSense to me.

I have heard many good things about pfSense. Had my firmware bug in the Draytek not been fixed, I would have pulled the trigger on an Intel 2100T i3 low power socket 1155 1U rackmount to run pfSense.

I still cannot easily route across VLANs, a feature I would like to enable a public WLAN separated from private LAN. But that is not quite urgent enough to blow $400 on router hardware. ;)

jmullinix

Guru
Reaction score
Take a look at PFSense 2.0 Release Candidate. If you like PFSense 1.2.3, you will love version two.

drmurdoch

Reaction score
I'd mentioned in another thread the Linksys RVS4000/WRVS4400N Gigabit Security VPN routers; both of them have 4 10/100/1000 ports, to include do "QoS" and "Vlans."

Linksys RVS4000 4-port Gigabit Security Router - VPN [cisco]
RVS4000-200x160.jpg

Cisco WRVS4400N Wireless-N Gigabit Security VPN routers [cisco] SRVS4400N @ tigerdirect.ca
WRVS4400N-200x160.jpg

DGL-4500_front.png

Are these still good ?

David.R

Reaction score
We've got about 20 pc's and want to have about that many softphones fed by our PiaF box. We've been using an 8-port NetGear FVS318G gigabit router feeding mulitple gigabit switches. Is the whole 4 vs. 8 vs. 16-port thing misguided? Should I just get something like one of these gaming routers that works well with Piaf regardless of the number of ports, and handle all that distribution with switches? (Thx!)

Reaction score
It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. FXO/FXS requirements aside, I go with:

1) Vyatta appliance w/support.
2) Peplink router w/2, 3, 4 WAN ports as needed.
3) Linksys E2XXX series seem OK on the low end.

loonsailor

Reaction score
Nice 24-port router

I'm using a Netgear FS726TP that works well. 26 ports - 2 1G, 24 10/100, of which 12 provide POE. It's got QoS, a fast enough switching fabric, nice POE management with current limiting and reporting, and has been 100% reliable for me so far. Not bad for $279 from newegg.

tallship

Reaction score
Hi. I've been using piaf since it was aah, and I love it, but in all that time I've never been able to figure out which router(s) work best with VOIP.

Without a doubt. pfSense.

If I'm going to use piaf in a SOHO environment, what do I really want in a router? And which router(s) have it?

Here's a list (no particular order) of the features which I've identified as being important:
  • Port-forwarding ranges
  • Loopback port forwarding
  • QoS
  • DHCP reservation list
  • Just plain VOIP-friendly (obviously, some routers are better than others)
  • Stable, reliable
  • In addition, I want the router to be wireless-enabled with a good strong radio, because I'm using some wifi phones, as well as some softphones on laptops.
Again, without a doubt. pfSense.

jrglass

Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone use or can you use PIAF with an Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem?
Thanks,

Jeff

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Cable modem really shouldn't matter unless it's your DHCP server and router too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.