QUESTION What makes a good server host?

billsimon

Reaction score
How much ram/disk/cpu is necessary to host 4 x GVSIP trunks with 1 x extension each?

1GB RAM / 15GB disk / 1 cpu. 512MB RAM if you want to tweak and optimize.

What should I look for in a vps provider?

Some people swear by these super cheap options but more people swear at them. Go for something low-cost but not the lowest cost. Linode, Digital Ocean, Vultr are some options in that category, in my opinion.

ajonate

Reaction score
I know HiFormance is a recommended hosting provider, but my vps with them has been down more than up lately.

Lowendbox.com has an offer from sparkvps with seemingly good specs.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/sparkvps...-from-1-95-month-in-dallas-new-york/#comments

What should I look for in a vps provider?
How much ram/disk/cpu is necessary to host 4 x GVSIP trunks with 1 x extension each?

I wish I had a good answer for you, but you just have to try a host and see how it goes. It can make a big difference where the VPS is located too. I'm having a lot better luck in the HiFormance Los Angeles data center than I had in their Chicago data center. Interestingly, I run a hosting server out of the same data center in Chicago that HiFormance uses and do pretty well.

I have a lot more resources than I should need but pbx applications require pristine service to be acceptable. I abandoned my Chicago pbx server because I was getting voice breakup. I'm running 4 cores, 4GB ram, and 100GB disk in Los Angeles and am really happy. Administration is a lot less frustrating too.

Last edited:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I would totally agree with @billsimon, having tried them all, then the only ones standing are vultr and DO. Vultr gives me more comfort with private networks and a better api though.

Everyone else has been an ultimate unusable failure, get your 5 bucks a month used to that.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
RentPBX while slightly more expensive hasn't ever been offline for us as far as I know (it's a DR server so we don't check it every day but the monitoring doesn't show it down . . .)

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
I second the RentPBX suggestion. I have had no issues with then over a six year period..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cajeptha
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.