RECOMMENDATIONS Wall mount small form factor PBX

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
What are people using for small form factor these days (if anything) I can mount on a wall - I usually used a 1u supermicro with bracket but I may need to do an install in a couple months that won't have room in the wiring closet for a real server.

Don't want to use a Pi please, but it's only about 8 extensions, so not too heavy. Would like something that is durable and won't blow a capacitor in a years time on the motherboard.

Appreciate any suggestions.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
A cheap NUC or equivalent? Definitely smaller footprint than 1u, even if a bit taller. Haven't used one myself -- just tossing it out there...

NatGarrison

Reaction score
What are people using for small form factor these days (if anything) I can mount on a wall - I usually used a 1u supermicro with bracket but I may need to do an install in a couple months that won't have room in the wiring closet for a real server.

Don't want to use a Pi please, but it's only about 8 extensions, so not too heavy. Would like something that is durable and won't blow a capacitor in a years time on the motherboard.

Appreciate any suggestions.

I have my Incredible PBX installed in an Intel NUC with a Celeron Processor, 4 GB of RAM and an 80 GB Intel Data Center Series SSD. The NUC even comes with a VESA bracket that can be easily mounted on the wall.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking NUC but didn't someone say somewhere around here that some of them weren't behaving very well with PIAF? The Qotom one looks like it would fit the bill have you run one for very long @krzykat ? Like I said I detest when they blow a capacitor a year in (mind you ASUS motherboards had a problem with that at one point, and their stuff was generally good prior and since, so no guarantees again)

kenn10

Reaction score
I've been running on a NUC 5i5 for quite a while. No issues at all. No problems with Debian 8 or Windows 10 running VirtualBox. I opted to go for the i5 over Celeron in case I decided to load Windows and run VirtualBox under Windows. Ultimately, I did that. I have my HomeSeer home control system running in Windows 10 Pro and PIAF running on Debian 8 under VirtualBox. I love the NUC!

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I was thinking NUC but didn't someone say somewhere around here that some of them weren't behaving very well with PIAF? The Qotom one looks like it would fit the bill have you run one for very long @krzykat ? Like I said I detest when they blow a capacitor a year in (mind you ASUS motherboards had a problem with that at one point, and their stuff was generally good prior and since, so no guarantees again)

It's running Incredible FreePBX version on a relatively new install - only 3 months old, but No - I haven't had a single problem with it. I just ordered their 4 port intel version for a pfSense install.

I'm doing primarily cloud based, but this will be my standard for on premise installs. No fan, less things to break, I love it.

lrosenman

Guru
Reaction score
I have IPBX/Wazo on one of the celeron (NUC5CPYH) Nucs, and NO issue, modulo needing to use the Jessie Backports kernel to get the WiFi to work.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Yes I usually prefer to run hosted in the datacenter but not everyone likes that. This is for a particularly price sensitive (PC way of saying ohter things) client, and in that case the one time fee to setup and have run then they do their own telecom works out cheaper for them in the long run.

Thanks for the pointers; happy to take some others if anyone else wants to chime in.

lrosenman

Guru
Reaction score
It's running Incredible FreePBX version on a relatively new install - only 3 months old, but No - I haven't had a single problem with it. I just ordered their 4 port intel version for a pfSense install.
which 4 port are you using for pfSense?

lrosenman

Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried/used it with a gigabit cable modem? I currently run pfSense on:
CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz (1666.70-MHz K8-class CPU)
Origin="GenuineIntel" Id=0x106ca Family=0x6 Model=0x1c Stepping=10
Features=0xbfe9fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
Features2=0x40e39d<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,MOVBE>
AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
real memory = 2147483648 (2048 MB)
avail memory = 2031943680 (1937 MB)

and it seems to NOT give me full gigabit down from my cable modem. I have Suddenlink's 1G/50M service.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Have you tried/used it with a gigabit cable modem? I currently run pfSense on:

and it seems to NOT give me full gigabit down from my cable modem. I have Suddenlink's 1G/50M service.

I haven't tested with Gig, but I'm fairly certain after reading that it should handle it. When you read up on people not getting their correct speeds it usually has to do with their NIC's. To get true Gig speeds, everywhere I ready people scream use Intel. That's why the 4-port box with the Intel Gig ports seems like the way to go.

For what it's worth, for most of my phone installs now, I've been using the Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X which are incredible little boxes for the price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.