R.I.P. Wable: Fun While It Lasted

Reaction score
I came across a new(ish) VPS provider that I find to be very interesting. They are owned by Incero so I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.
www.wable.com

The most interesting thing about them is this promotion: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1478426

For $8 per month you get the following resources that you can divide into as many VPS's as you'd like. You could use this bucket of resources to make 5 VPS machines each more powerful than the $5/mo digitalocean droplet
  1. 5 CPU's
  2. 6GB RAM
  3. 80GB SSD
  4. All sitting on a 2-10Gbps Port
  5. 6TB monthly bandwidth (though its currently unmetered)
The server performance is also great. Here is a benchmark from my box

Code:
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  2100.046 MHz
Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
Total amount of swap : 1024 MB
System uptime :  1 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 81.5MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 40.3MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 80.8MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 14.5MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 4.08MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 28.2MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.64MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 3.73MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.39MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 11.8MB/s
I/O speed :  406 MB/s

The only concern that I have with them (for VOIP) is that they use OpenVZ. I read about some issues with Asterisk failing to compile on OpenVZ however I was successfully able to run the steps detailed here (Introducing Incredible PBX with Incredible GUI for CentOS and Scientific Linux) and I now have what seems to be a working Incredible GUI install sitting on top of CentOS 6.5.

Whats the current state of VOIP/PBX sitting on an OpenVZ Image? Are there any pitfalls that I need to be aware of?

Update (7/9/2015): This (excellent) community has uncovered some quirks running a PBX on an OpenVZ container. Some of these are documented throughout this thread, but the most important reason to think twice about OpenVZ may be because port knocker isn't an option. This can still be a great deal for many, but please be aware that there are limitations.

Reaction score
I thought so too, but its not. They should have designed this to be much more clear, however the deal isn't evident when you purchase the package. Here is what I did (worked last night at 11PM MT)

1. Start off by clicking this link: https://wable.com/?powerboost=1
  2. Select Bundle#3 or higher. I selected "Live Site (Bundle #3)" for $8 (50% off for life)
  3. Create an account and go through the checkout process. You will be charged a prorated amount for May, so even if they've changed it in the past 24 hours you are only out ~$1.50
  4. Once you've made your purchase, click this link again: https://wable.com/?powerboost=1
  5. You will be taken to your account and you will notice that you have received 2 additional CPU's, 4GB of additional RAM and 30GB of SSD space
The fact that this isn't visible before you buy it is confirmed by their rep here (Post #3) - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1441502

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Just signed up - so deal is still good (must follow directions). I had an issue with payment, so they called me immediately and resolved the issue. That gave me an opportunity to talk to tech about the product, and they recommend using Dallas as node of choice as there are some safeguards on that location to make sure that bandwidth stays good and that things aren't overloaded ... IE - Use it for VoIP.

Reaction score
Happy you guys got in on the deal! I've been tinkering for the past 24 hours and am very impressed.

One potential concern regarding your ability to send and receive emails (for voicemail, etc) from their FAQ
Question: Is SMTP Blocked?
Answer: SMTP is only blocked on bundle #1 accounts on all IPs. On all other bundles SMTP is allowed on the first/main IP of each VPS but is blocked on additional IPs.

I presume that you could work around this by relaying through gmail: http://pbxinaflash.com/community/in...ll-gmail-as-smtp-relay-host-for-sendmail.974/

Edit: The highly responsive support staff at Wable has contact me to inform me of the following:

• The FAQ regarding SMTP has been updated on their website. Since Bundle #1 no longer exists the old answer no longer applies. Each VPS you spin up will have SMTP enabled on its first IP address
  • They've also just added an option to enable eth0 on CentOS! http://d.pr/i/rw0u/1jMN6LZ8

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Have you found out how to do snapshots and/or backup your system? I see they mention snapshots, but don't see where to do it from.

This server is fast :)

Reaction score
Hmm, I don't see an option to do snapshots. I'm also in Dallas, so perhaps this is only available in New York or Seattle?

I've done a few installs on different OS's and wanted to share my results. I'd be very curious to know if anyones had success where I haven't

1. CentOS 6.5 x86_64 Minimal - This appears to be the way to go! I've installed both Incredible GUI 12 (Introducing Incredible PBX with Incredible GUI for CentOS and Scientific Linux) and IncrediblePBX 11.4 (http://nerdvittles.com/?p=10079)
    1. At first sendmail didn't work. To fix this, I edited my /etc/hosts file to put my machine name on the 127.0.0.1 line. After doing a "service sendmail restart" sendmail works fine. I receive new user creation emails, system update emails, etc
      1. I am not receiving emails when voicemails have been left however I believe that this might be related to an issue reported in the Incredible GUI 12 bug thread
    2. Everything else appears to work! Trunks are setup, inbound and outbound calls are working, etc :D
  2. Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64 Minimal or Standard do not appear to work
    1. On standard, "apt-get upgrade -y && reboot" fails due to security warnings
    2. On Minimal, "apt-get upgrade -y && reboot" appears to work but following reboot I'm missing basic commands like wget and nano
  3. CentOS 7.0 x86_64 Minimal - Following the Incredible GUI 12 install, my network adapters went missing. I presume I could log in through their console and re-enable them but I didn't have time to tinker with it last night.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I guess I grabbed the right one to begin with. Using Centos 6.5 x64 minimal with Incredible. I'm awaiting reply on a ticket for snapshot/clone. Would love it if they can clone and I can get my template setup how I want and then just clone as needed. Will report back when I have more details.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
  • To: Support
    I read in the FAQ's about snapshot, but don't see where / how to take one. Then what can be done with it? Is there a location for restore, or possibly even clone? I'd like to create a good template of my PBX, and would be great if I could then clone it to other instances so that I don't have to do the same tweak each time I get need a new machine spun up.

By the way, so far, it seems very fast and can't wait to get all the testing done on it.
  • Wable WableStaff
    Posted On: May 27, 2015, 10:28 am
    Hi ,

That is a long awaited feature, the faq page went up last night, and the feature is planned to roll out by friday.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Got all setup, then about an hour later refunded the $1.50 I had been charged and took all the servers offline. Email has gone unanswered.

Oh well.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Got all setup, then about an hour later refunded the $1.50 I had been charged and took all the servers offline. Email has gone unanswered.

Oh well.

They had an issue with the billing with me as well on my initial efforts. I got a call from them though and they cleared it all up. It had to do with their fraud detection and mismatched e-mail addresses. I'd check your tickets for your account, that's where they had my info listed.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Can't log into my account unfortunately . . .

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
Freaking Awesome Deal (Hopefully not a FAD :) ) Built 5 servers, one pbx so far. If you have more than one paypal address, make sure you are using PRIMARY email address for paypal, otherwise it will fail.

18 mS ping time from NH to New York servers... < 1mS ping time to Voip.ms NYC Pop!!

Thanks for the find. Let's hope not too many gamers get on this hosting deal.

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
just purchased bundle 3
powerboost didn't add resources
opened a ticket, reply was to try the link again, which worked
built centos-6x86_64-minimal in under a minute!

Reaction score
Curious - Anyone put these machines to use for anything other than testing yet? Curious what environment you've configured and if you have any call quality experiences to share

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.