QUESTION VOIP.ms and Hylafax - how to configure trunk?

RoboLord

Reaction score
I have a Voip.ms DID for voice that has been working well. I'd like to add another for faxing. What's the recommended approach for configuring it? Should I create a sub-account in voip.ms and a separate trunk? Any other recommended settings I should be aware of? Thanks!

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Preface this that I know nothing about Voip.ms - I use Flowroute.

I don't think you need to do anything with your trunks - this is just another DID coming into the system.
Using Flowroute, I have multple DIDs connected to my PBX.
For faxing, I have an incoming route set up on the trunk with the CID Priority Route tick box checked and the DID number under the description filled in with the leading 1 that Flowroute provides. This tells the PBX to look at this DID-Route first when figuring out where to send the incoming call.

Detect faxes is NOT checked. Under 'Set Destination', I have 'Custom Destination' and 'Fax (Hylafax)' filled out.

This assumes that you installed IncredibleFax first.

For outbound faxes, I have a dialstring prefix set up to use an outbound route which sets the callerID to the fax line just in case it prints on the page somewhere.

I hope this helps.

Andrew

RoboLord

Reaction score
Thanks Andy, I did get this working and it's working well. I created a sub account in VoIP.ms for my dedicated fax DID and a separate Trunk in FreePBX. No issues so far, besides trying to figure out quality issues with the dithering of document conversions in Hylafax. Cheers!

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I found using the -G option seemed to make my faxes worse, not better.

Andrew

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
-G prompts for the best connection, that's all, if you don't have a color fax (and very few exist apart from maybe another hylafax device or a $20000 Kyocera/IBM ) then dithering makes no sense, just use monochrome, think about it :) , when did you ever see a color fax?

hawk#1

Reaction score
when did you ever see a color fax?
Only time I've seen one was when the secretary had too much free time to play on the computer and designed a color cover sheet. Then she couldn't understand why the fax machine only printed it in black & white.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I had a lovely Dental Receptionist who was gay, he loved to use pink paper, but the all in one scanner/fax machine scanned that to a a very dark grey with black letters, the toner ran out every three days and nobody could read the faxes and it took umptythree minutes to fax each page , The moral of this anecdote, do not even try to do anything but monochrome over a fax machine ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.