i have no idea, but it surely makes the lightbulbs go on :lurk5:

tbooth

Guru
Reaction score
its called voicemail screening. I'm not sure if asterisk can do it

xxolloxx

Reaction score
Draft of ListenIn/VoiceMail Screening

This seems to work on my system (only took me 15 months to figure out!)

SUMMARY:

Caller dials in and hears ringing
CallFile generated and calls to Listener's number
If Listener does not answer after (Number of Rings), caller is sent to VoiceMail as usual
If Listener answers, there are three options:
-Listener enters "1" = Connect Listener and Caller to Meetme to start talking
-Listener enters "2" = Caller is sent to voicemail, Listener "screens" message (muted)
-Listener enters "9" = Caller is sent to voicemail, Listener hangs up

HOW IT WORKS:

1. Caller sent to Extension 510.

2. Caller hears simulated ringing.

3. Global Variable (VMS) will monitor whether CHANSPY is enabled, and if so, what to do. Default="0" CHANSPY not enabled.

4. Call file is created and calls out to Listener number.

5. If Listener answers, Listener is sent to Extension 556.

6. CHANSPY is set on channel (muted) with option "X" - Allowing exit on single digit. Listener starts to listen to Channel(Not sure if I should have used EXTENSPY)

7. If Single-digits "1", "2", or "3" are pressed, Listener sent to respective extension

8. Extension 1 : You want to talk to the caller. Points Listener to dynamic meetme room 565 as administrator; VMS set to "100" which will send Caller to meetme room 565 to begin talking.

9. Extension 2 : You want to screen the voicemail. VMS set to "20" which will send caller to Voicemail. CHANSPY listens to Caller (muted). Listener can enter "1" at anytime to exit CHANSPY to extension 1 and talk to caller (but voicemail is still recording--not sure how to exit voicemail)

10. Extension 9 : You don't wan't to talk to the caller. VMS set to "90" which will send caller to Voicemail. Listener is disconnected.

As written, I believe this will only work on 1.6 to make use of the "X" option in CHANSPY. This works on my system because I only use one DID at a time(not sure if I should have used EXTENSPY instead). I do not know the legality of "listening in" on a caller leaving you a message, but it seems similar to an anserwing machine or GrandCentral/Google Voice's "Listen In."

Any suggestions for improvement welcome!

;[from-internal-custom]
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;510 -- ListenIn/VoiceMailScreening(VMS)

exten => 510,1,Answer
exten => 510,n,Set(GLOBAL(VMS)=0)
;Global Variable VMS determines CHANSPY status:
;VMS=0 CHANSPY not active, Caller continues to hear ringing then sent to voicemail (defaut)
;VMS=20 CHANSPY is active, send caller to VoiceMail and Listener continues listening to channel(muted)
;VMS=90 Exit CHANSPY, send Caller immediately to VoiceMail, Listener hangs up
;VMS=100 Exit CHANSPY, send Caller and Listener to Meetme to start talking

exten => 510,n,Set(OUTNUMB=12223334444) ; number to call out to enable Listener
exten => 510,n,Set(CIDN=${CALLERID(num)}) ;CID of original caller

;Create outgoing call file to Listener
exten => 510,n,System(echo channel: SIP/provider/${OUTNUMB} > /tmp/outfile.call); change to SIP provider
exten => 510,n,System(echo callerid: ${CIDN} >> /tmp/outfile.call) ; CallerID of Original Caller
exten => 510,n,System(echo MaxRetries: 0 >> /tmp/outfile.call)
exten => 510,n,System(echo context: from-internal-custom >> /tmp/outfile.call)
exten => 510,n,System(echo extension: 556 >> /tmp/outfile.call) ; extension 556 starts CHANSPY
exten => 510,n,System(echo priority: 1 >> /tmp/outfile.call)
exten => 510,n,System(echo WaitTime: 25) ; so it doesn't go to voicemail on Listener's phone
exten => 510,n,System(chmod 775 /outfile/fill.call})
exten => 510,n,System(mv /tmp/outfile.call /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing) ;outcall starts immediately

;play ringing to caller
;loop rings to allow evaluation of VMS

exten => 510,n,Set(i=1) ;counter
exten => 510,n,Set(RINGS=7); number of rings Caller hears before voicemail if Listener does not respond

exten => 510,n,While($[${i} < (${RINGS})]) ;Loop ringing
exten => 510,n,NoOp(i=${i})
exten => 510,n,NoOp(VMS=${VMS})

exten => 510,n,ringing ;Plays standard ringing to Caller

;Determine if Listener is Listening (set by CHANSPY eXit digit entered by Listener in ext 556)
exten => 510,n,GotoIf($[${VMS}=20]?vmail: ] ; Send to Voicemail - Listener is listening
exten => 510,n,GotoIf($[${VMS}=90]?vmail: ] ; Send to Voicemail - Listener hungup (no need to continue ringing)
exten => 510,n,GotoIf($[${VMS}=100]?561,1; ]; Send to Meetme to conference (ext 561) with Listener
;otherwise, VMS still = 0, Listener has not responded, continue ringing

exten => 510,n,Wait(6) ; six seconds of silence between rings
exten => 510,n,Set(i=$[${i} + 1]) ; add 1 to counter
exten => 510,n,EndWhile

;Counter completed number of RINGS
;Listener has not respnded
;Send Caller to Voicemail
exten => 510,n(vmail),Voicemail(1999@default); Caller enters VoiceMailBox XXXX
exten => 510,n,hangup

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;556-Start ListenIn
;Call File sent to this extension upon answering
;CHANSPY started to ListenIn to call on SIP (Listener is muted)

;X allows exit to single-digit extension:
;1:Transfer Caller and Listener to meetme to start conversation (VMS=100)
;2:Send caller to voicemail and continue listening
;9:Send caller to voicemail, Listener disconnected
exten => 556,1,NoOp()
exten => 556,n,ChanSpy(SIP,X,q)
exten => 556,n,hangup

;Single-digits entered by Listener to exit CHANSPY
;must be in same context as CHANSY??

;X=1: send Caller to Meetme and start talking -- VMS=100
exten => 1,1, NoOp()
exten => 1,n, SayDigits(1)
exten => 1,n,Set(GLOBAL(VMS)=100) ; VMS=100=meetme
exten => 1,n,Goto(560,1) ; Send to dynamic meetme (room 565)
exten => 1,n,Hangup

;X=2: Send Caller to voicemail and keep listening -- VMS=20
exten => 2,1,NoOp()
exten => 2,n, SayDigits(2)
exten => 2,n,Set(GLOBAL(VMS)=20) ; VMS=20=Send Caller to VoiceMail and keep listening (muted)
exten => 2,n,ChanSpy(SIP,X,q) ;Can still type another digit
exten => 2,n,Hangup

;X=9: Send Caller to voicemail and hangup -- VMS =90
exten => 9,1,NoOp()
exten => 9,n,SayDigits(9)
exten => 9,n,Set(GLOBAL(VMS)=90) ; VMS=90=Send Caller to VoicMmail, Hangup Listener
exten => 9,n,Hangup

;Start Meetme for Listener
;Listener entered "1" -- Listener Exits CHANSPY to start conversation in Meetme room 565 with Caller
exten => 560,1, MeetMe(565,AaxdX1) ; Listener is Admin
exten => 560,n, hangup

;Start Meetme for Caller -- Caller joins Listener to start conversation in Meetme room 565
exten => 561,1, MeetMe(565,Axd1q) ;caller does not hear meetme anouncement, caller is 'marked'
exten => 561,n, hangup
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

milauria

Reaction score
I am looking also at this feature be able able to screen voicemail live like in the good old days :confused:

Frankly speaking I got scared of implementing all the code indicated by voip-info-org link above (I would not be using PIAF otherwise!!)

Anyone has been able to make it work some way? Does it exists a commercial module maybe? I am on PIAF Purple with Asterisk 1.8 & FreePbx 2.11

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score
They love to "invent" stuff invented by others.

Granted, I'm not the brightest bulb in the marquee. But it baffles me how & why the USPTO grants some patents. The instant case is one of those. From the patent's specification page --> "Those skilled in the art will appreciate the scope of the present invention and realize additional aspects thereof after reading the following detailed description of the preferred embodiments in association with the accompanying drawing figures." Obviously, I'm not skilled in the [black] art.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Anyone skilled in using an old - fashioned answering machine has been doing this for about 30 years.

Reaction score
Granted, I'm not the brightest bulb in the marquee. But it baffles me how & why the USPTO grants some patents. The instant case is one of those. From the patent's specification page --> "Those skilled in the art will appreciate the scope of the present invention and realize additional aspects thereof after reading the following detailed description of the preferred embodiments in association with the accompanying drawing figures." Obviously, I'm not skilled in the [black] art.

Unfortunately, the USPTO's criteria for granting a patent does not include searching for prior art. In fact, the USPTO doesn't check much of anything before granting patents, other than that the procedural requirements are met, and that you aren't trying to patent a perpetual motion machine.

But, when you think about it, there's really no way the USPTO could staff enough experts to provide even a cursory amount of research for the gazillion applications they receive. They have to allow the market to sort it out.

visionlogic

Guru? Nope
Reaction score
But, when you think about it, there's really no way the USPTO could staff enough experts to provide even a cursory amount of research for the gazillion applications they receive. They have to allow the market to sort it out.

Hence the continuing problem of patent trolls.

"Unfortunately, the Patent Office has a habit of issuing patents for ideas that are neither new nor revolutionary, and these patents can be very broad, covering everyday or commonsense types of computing – things that should never have been patented in the first place. Armed with these overbroad and vague patents, the troll will then send out threatening letters to those they argue infringe their patent(s). These letters threaten legal action unless the alleged infringer agrees to pay a licensing fee, which can often range to the tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars." - EFF: Patent Trolls

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
As part of the patent application, you are required to certify that there is no known existing technology. The penalties for falsely filing a patent application are pretty severe. Unfortunately, companies like Apple are never held accountable for this kind of "stuff."

Reaction score
The key seems to be the phrase “Audio call screening for hosted voicemail systems,” and word (hosted) in the patent.

But I agree with other posters about how obvious this is based on past screening techniques. Based on this I will be filing for a patent on "Jello that is eaten in the bathtub". CLEARLY no one has "invented" that yet. Think of the money that's going to be rolling in!

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Yes hosted is the yet and guess what. Every Asterisk system the voicemail is hosted on the PBX not on the actual phone so it covers every setup. Basically unless the device has its own voicemail system it is hosted based on Apples Patent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutpocket
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.