FOOD FOR THOUGHT Vitelity Issues

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
Vitelity inbound has been down since 3:00 pm eastern time. They are saying it is one of their underlying carriers and still no resolution in sight. What is going on?:banghead:

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like someone blew a switch or there was a fiber cut. Oh well at least they know.

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score
It's why people who can not go through all that downtime usually leave the main DID with a big local telco and use constant forwarding to one of their many voip provider.

Meaning you can change the call forwarding when it's necessary or even call the telco to ask their staff to manually change the call forward to a cell phone if something levels the post at the corner of the street and you end up completely off, internet, pots and everything off.

Voip.ms also had incoming DID issue in the past due to upstream carrier problem. (I say that to prevent the argument that switching for a *better* voip provider is a solution)

frederic

Guru
Reaction score
Hykos as the right idea.

Then you can have two VoIP trunks from different providers, using which ever one you prefer until it goes boom, then switch on the fly to the other one.

And as a worst case, if your business is small, you can forward that main number to a cell phone or even your house.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
voip.ms uses Vitelity for a lot of their DID's. That's why both are affected.

As you correctly point out, if you can't afford the downtime you should go with a CLEC/ILEC, or at least a major wholesaler (though those go as well a la Global Crossing and others).

dandy_don

Reaction score
My Vitelity Inbound Trunk Works Fine

Just checked again a few minutes ago... Vitelity inbound & outbound have been working fine for me and I don't recall ever having any inbound/outbound call issues with them.

I also agree with previous comments -- multiple trunks is a good idea. I have and use both Vitelity and Sipgate, and am happy with both of them.

Just my 2 Pfennig's worth...

Don

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
The key is to leave the main DID with a big local telco and use constant forwarding to one of their many voip provider as Hyksos states. Just having multiple voip trunks does not suffice. In this instance when the underlying carrier is down, fail-over from the voip provider is also not functioning, so forwarding to another voip trunk is not possible. I haven't had many issues with vitelity, but it seems like they have been having about one big hiccup a year.

gregc

Guru
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is change the underlying carrier. Ours used to be XO and we had issues all the time. We ported to Level 3 (all the while staying with Vitelity) and haven't had a problem since.

Find out from Vitelity who your DID's underlying carrier is.

-Greg

Reaction score
Here's what I got when I asked them...

[FONT=&quot]"Unfortunately, due to NDAs with upstream providers, we are unable to provide you with this information"

Hmmmm, who's the customer here?
[/FONT]

gregc

Guru
Reaction score
What a load of crap.
http://tnid.us/
Go there and look it up yourself. Then call them back and tell them you know the carrier is 'xyz' and since you have been having issues with them, you want to port it to '123'.

I'd be curious to know who it is. Like I said before, we have been pretty rock solid since we switched to Level 3.

-Greg

kenn10

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know who it is. Like I said before, we have been pretty rock solid since we switched to Level 3.

-Greg

I concur. I've had no issues with the Level-3 DID's on any of my VOIP carriers.

Reaction score
Thanks I will.... one was XO, one was Level 3 but both are now Info Telecom Syniverse

Thats a handy lookup link...

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
What a load of crap.
http://tnid.us/
Go there and look it up yourself. Then call them back and tell them you know the carrier is 'xyz' and since you have been having issues with them, you want to port it to '123'.

-Greg

TNID.us is not always accurate for certain ILEC's. Sometimes it's not able to lookup the actual carrier (I had a number in Tulsa for example for whom the tnid carrier was SW Bell (AT&T) but in fact the number was held by and controlled by another company).

paulnye

Guru
Reaction score
I moved 5 customer PBXs to Vitelity in the last year. I am beginning to wonder if it was a bad idea. They are down too often, and customers are wondering why did we switch. The outages are not for hours long, but they happen too often. Vitelity is sometimes saying they loose their downstream connection. My suggestion is to get a better one, build some redundancy, get a failover system in place, and actively monitor the connections so you dont have to wait until our customers call us, then we call Vitelity, and Vitelity says 'oh yes, you are right, there's a problem, we will fix it'
Apart from that, I like Vitelity.

Copper Plumber

Reaction score
I like the ideas expressed in this thread but I'm having trouble connecting the dots. I've got some DIDs with RingCentral (which I can't wait to get away from). Is it possible for me to port these numbers to a big telco as suggested and then forward them to my own PBX? It's easy for me to see porting the numbers to someone like Flowroute; it's the "big telco” part I'm not succeeding at visualizing.

Thanks for your patience--I'm new at this.

Reaction score
Example would be to have your number reside with a Verizon and then use Verizon's call forwarding to send the calls to a DID trunk provided by a Vitelity, Anveo etc etc. If there is an issue you can change the number that Verizon is forwarding the calls to. The Verizon's of the world hardly EVER have a major switch issue its usually an outside plant or fibre cut issue. Voip carriers seem to have many more issues than can directly affect you if your main incoming, published number is with the Voip. This is a good strategy for carriers in major countries like this U.S. but it may not be the best approach elsewhere.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone tired having Verizon add a voip DID to a hunt/round robin group? I have a client with a few POTS going to a gateway. During the busy part of the year, they can exceed the number of POTS lines in use now and then. I was wondering if adding a few VOIP DIDs to the normal POTS hunt group would work and help the load on the system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cajeptha
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.