FYI Updating NeoRouter Server for Wazo

hillclimber

Reaction score
About a year ago I was very grateful to read on nerdvittles about how to actually use VMware ESXi! And that lead to my reading about the QNAP TS-563 serving iSCSI storage paired with an Intel NUC & 32GB DDR4 RAM operating as the VMware server. And if that wasn't enough, I learned to look out for Cloud at Cost 90%-off sales, including how to increase disk space on Debian, right here in these forums. A year later everything's setup and I'm just starting to try and do real work with this major investment of mine. And I've been using VMware Workstation on Ubuntu for years already, but never realized how sweet this all could be. From the moment I gleamed the news I realized this was what I was looking for, for a long time, but didn't know. Thank you!

Now I'm trying to access all of that stuff over a NeoRouter VPN. This is my priority, not VoIP, for now. Since the NeoRouter server must always be cloud-accessible, I like the idea of using the Wazo server because it is whitelist-only by default, as opposed to a regular Debian/Ubuntu server that I'd have to configure and trust by myself. This seems ideal for the NeoRouter server, (and it'll do VoIP later too).

The only hitch being the Wazo Incredible PBX doesn't actually install NeoRouter Server; it installs the NeoRouter Client. Still, why not just 'aptitude purge nrclient' to continue?

After reading this nerdvittles article, I dusted off this old script, and edited it a bit to install NeoRouter Server yesterday. myip.pbxinaflash.com as called for in the script seems to fail now, (although this might serve as an easy replacement). Since I couldn't fully test the script, I just hacked it by inserting what I already knew to be my internal and external IP addresses by deleting lines 29-38 and replacing them with:

externip="111.111.111.111"
internip="222.222.222.222"​

Now everything seems to work well, except for one nagging detail: When I do 'pbxstatus' the NeoRouter Indicator is red and says it is down. Still, I'm thinking everything should be just fine, and there's no security failing I'm overlooking here. So far so good! Any thoughts? Thank you again!!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You can solve the myip.pbxinaflash.com failure by changing it to myip.incrediblepbx.com. The failure of NeoRouter in the status display is probably because you either removed or are no longer running nrclient which is the app it's looking for.

hillclimber

Reaction score
Thank you for your very fast and reassuring reply, which I appreciate very much. It is a relief to know I can securely continue building this stuff, without worrying about that red indicator; those things can be irritating when not 100% certain. And I didn't want to pour through more code either. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.