DEAL Under $100 6-line Color Bluetooth Phone

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
25c1bd9fa877d493a4ee6bddd1878766.jpg

DV6JbcRWsAAQ9lP.jpg
I just got a few of these in, and they look pretty good. Can be found at your favorite wholesaler for under $100 ... complete with 6 accounts, bluetooth, XML, gigabit ports, and 24 customizable BLF's.

Grandstream's most powerful Enterprise IP Phone, the GXP2160 is a Linux-based device with 6 lines, 5 XML programmable soft keys, and 5-way conferencing. HD audio and a 4.3" color LCD screen create high quality calls, while the 24 BLF keys, Bluetooth, USB and EHS add versatility. The GXP2160 is perfect for Enterprise & SMB customers with the need for quality and versatility in their desktop communications.
  • 480x272 TFT color LCD
  • 6 dual-color line keys (with 6 SIP accounts). 5 programmable context-sensitive soft keys. Up to 5-way conferencing and 24 dual-color BLF extension keys.
  • Automated provisioning using TR-069 or AES encrypted XML configuration file. TLS/SRTP/HTTPS for advanced security and privacy protection.
  • Integrated real-time web applications [weather, currency, etc.]

Last edited by a moderator:

CoinTos

Reaction score
Hey,

Sounds good, can you compare it to an Aastra or Yealink by chance? I want to replace my Cisco (79xx) and Aastra (i53xx) with a standard deployment but as much as I like to take the latest Yealink offering as I love my t28, this more in the price range (for replacing 4 phones and with colour display). On first impression, any cons you have noticed?

Thanks.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I've got it sitting on my desk right now next to my T46. For the pricepoint, I don't think you can beat it. The number of BLF's, color screen, and bluetooth is impressive. I haven't put it through its paces yet though. I've got a few installed at a clients, so I'll see how things go. I'm not an XML guy, but really want to see if the Yealink XML code that Ward did can be used on it (that would impress me). It really looks like they've copied a lot of the T46 as far as layout goes. I'll play with it over the next week and report back my findings.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I'm not an XML guy, but really want to see if the Yealink XML code that Ward did can be used on it (that would impress me).

Whether the apps work as is or not, we'll make 'em work shortly. :punk:

Universal power adapter comes with the phone. POE support is also included.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Ward, something you'll like ... in the latest firmware, they have a screensaver slideshow. One of the images on the slideshow is them advertising their product. So shouldn't be a stretch for that to be "PIAF".

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
The 2140 is its baby brother. I bought 2 for my biz, and also 4 of the 1405 (2 line/SIPaccount phones). They work well for my uses. The difference in the 2140 (4 lines/Sip Accounts) is the 2140 can take 4 GXP2200EXT (40BLF/module [20 key x 2 pages]) sidecar modules (for a total of 160 keys as compared to just 24 with the 2160. Just a thought.

The only thing I don't like is the apps screens (Weather / Currencies / and the 'ad'). I like the weather portion but the currency app I don't want and can't disable (even though it says you can) and the 'ad' was never even talked about and can't get rid of it either. I can deal with it though. Maybe someone can help with a generic XML for all phones and just add in the extension stuff in a MAC-config.xml setup so I can use the tftpboot methods I did with my Polycoms.

All in all, I am happier with these GS 2140 phones

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
It seems like (at least grandstream) is happy to release these phones, nice as they are, without all the advertised items working 100%. I get it kind of, as this phone in its current state filled a need for me that no other phone could. But things like the XML and the softkeys programming not being done yet is aggravating.

Perhaps Ward can use his influence with GS and get their XML working properly. The pricepoint on this phone and what it does is impressive. Prior, to get this, I had to buy the T46, sidecar, and bluetooth module ... spending double what I did for this phone.

markieb

Reaction score
Loading the current Beta firmware is kind of a must to get a little closer to the phone Grandstream make you believe you are buying.
My honest opinion is these phones should not have been released for at least a few more months to iron out problems and the lack of features they advertise but not yet support.
The new beta firmware allows you to change the background enable/disable the weather/Currency apps, screensaver etc. and a few other tweaks.
I find sound quality to be a tad flaky intermittently, and get distortion/robotic noises every so often, and occasionally have to reboot the phone to get sound back again.
The list kinda goes on, but if you can live with a phone that's still getting there but not quite there yet, then it's a nice looking phone and should be good once Grandstream get their act together.
Unfortunately this is my thoughts on the most recent three phones in the range.
I have a mix of about 12 of them in my environment.
Just thought you should know :)

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Can't disagree. I haven't experienced that sound issue (thankfully), but Yeah, would be nice to have the advertised items fully functional. It's not "XML" it's XML capable and let's hope they get that working soon. Screen Saver isn't customizable (yet).

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
At this juncture, I'd have to say the T46G is head and shoulders above this phone and well worth even twice the price. Did I mention... it also works!

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Yes, for those that can afford it, the T46 is the way to go. But for those that complain about the cost and don't need all the features, the 2160 fills a need. I've got customers using both with no complaints.

But YES - My deskphone is a T46

markieb

Reaction score
I have to say the only reason I buy Grandstream is for price, not because they are better or more revolutionary than other brands.
I generally find with Grandstream, by the time the firmware finally gets to an acceptably useable state with the expected features finally present and working bug fee-ish, the model gets discontinued shortly after :(

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I have to say the only reason I buy Grandstream is for price, not because they are better or more revolutionary than other brands.
I generally find with Grandstream, by the time the firmware finally gets to an acceptably useable state with the expected features finally present and working bug fee-ish, the model gets discontinued shortly after :(

Yeah, it sucks, there is so much potential there, but just seems like they don't get their act together. Seems like they need a change in the top of their R&D so that products get released that are READY to go.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Weird part is their beta program (which hands out free phones) demands 10 bug reports within the first couple weeks which is fairly aggressive. Of course, they probably got 1,000+ on just this phone. :001 9898:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Weird part is their beta program (which hands out free phones) demands 10 bug reports within the first couple weeks which is fairly aggressive. Of course, they probably got 1,000+ on just this phone. :001 9898:

I signed up for their Beta, but wasn't accepted. Maybe they thought I'd send in too many bugs - LOL.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
XML stuff is still vaporware unfortunately. Someday. Maybe.

Ward, just got this notice today, so hopefully something can be done now:

Firmware Release Notes
Firmware Version 1.0.4.15
Product Name: GXP2130/GXP2140/GXP2160
Date: September 16, 2014
CHANGES SINCE FIRMWARE RELEASE 1.0.4.10
ENHANCEMENT
 Added support to play short reminder beep when performing auto answer
 Added HTTP CTI support
 Added HTTP/HTTPS authentication support for phonebook download
 Added ability to select call pickup mode
 Added support to apply dial plan when dialing from call history/phonebook
 Added support to unregister on URI based and clear only the contact header from the phone
when using “Unregister on Reboot” option
Added XML application support
 Added Direct IP Call support on MPK and Phonebook
 Added ability to dial the digits faster when using MPK as Dial DTMF
Added ability to show text pop-up window via SIP MESSAGE
 Added option “Disable Busy Tone on Remote Disconnect” to disable playing busy tone upon
receiving BYE
 Added option to enable/disable Broadsoft call park

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Can't get the XML app to work still, but the Bluetooth phone pairing is magical. You can pair the GXP2160 with your cellphone and, when you walk in the room, it becomes another button on the GXP2160 to place and receive calls. Very well done and call quality is amazing... with a $95 phone no less.

Bx5_QtICcAA9n5m.jpg:large

Robert-BCC

Rank amateur
Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshot Ward, I have an office full of these phones. I suppose the advantage to this feature is that your office handset becomes the single device for making and receiving all calls. If someone calls your mobile phone, you press the bottom appearance. If you want to call someone from your mobile phone, you can see your mobile phone's phone book on the handset, although that interface is pretty kludgy compared to most smartphones. Maybe you'd initiate from the cell and then pickup the handset...

I wonder if all this could work in concert with a bluetooth headset? I suppose not. You either pair the smartphone to the handset or the headset, but you probably couldn't chain from cell -> handset ->bluetooth headset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.