Unable to connect unless ping first

simonpieman

Reaction score
Hi. I am hoping that I can explain this issue in a way that makes sense and that someone can help me. I have been running Incredible PBX with a Raspberry Pi for a year or so but recently things started to crash and it became unreliable, so I bought a new Pi 3, installed the latest version and set everything up. I recreated all the settings rather than try and restore a backup and as far as I can tell I've done everything right! It's a home set up with 5 IP phones.

Everything is working fine except that if say I unplug one of the phones for any length of time and then plug it back in again, it won't connect. I also get no response if I try and access the Web UI from any computer in the house. There's nothing I can see in the logs on the Raspberry Pi - it is looking like it's simply blocking all the connections (or they are somehow not reaching the pi through the router).

However if I then ping the phone from the Pi, or ping the PC which I'm using to try and access the web interface, the ping gets through, and the phone will then connect just fine and stay connected. The computer will allow me to use the web interface at least for a while. If I don't use it for an hour or two it might not work again until I re-ping.

Does anyone have any suggestions for why this behaviour might be happening? I guess it might be more networking / pi related than IncrediblePBX but general web searching has revealed nothing... and it didn't happen with my previous pi!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like iptables or fail2ban are blocking the phone. Does the Pi version of PIAF run those? If so try adding an exclusion for your local subnet (192.168.whatever.whatever/24 probably) to jail.conf for fail2ban or the iptables configuration file (check other posts for specific instructions for the Pi).

simonpieman

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - I've tried temporarily disabling fail2ban and iptables following instructions I found elsewhere on this site and that didn't seem to make any difference.

If I try and ping the pbx from my computer it comes back "destination host unreachable" unless i ping my computer from the pbx box first - if I do that then the ping gets through and gets a reply... it's all rather strange!

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
It's a little strange. Kinda like an arp problem. What kind of network switch is this?

simonpieman

Reaction score
I have a Cisco RV110W. Not had this problem before or with any other computers on the network... I can happily try swapping that for something better as it's quite old now - just wanted to make sure I had a decent hardware firewall before using a pbx... any advice greatly received (appreciate it's not strictly PIAF!)

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I'm just not sure to be honest. I would think about trying a different network switch or router (maybe even something cheap to test). It doesnt' really matter much what you choose I suppose; I always use real firewalls but they might be more than you need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.