FYI Ubuntu 14 mini install

chdyoung

Reaction score
After I wrote this, I realized that I had installed Incredible PBX 11.5, but there is a 12.0 version available. Some of these problems may not apply to version 12. I am installing that instead. A search for the following quoted string will show that there are more than one almost identical instructions available for different versions.

For today, we’ll walk you through building your own stand-alone server using the Ubuntu 14.04 mini.iso

When I did the install on a local physical machine, I noticed some problems. Some of those were minor flaws in the instructions. I have included the fix for the ones that I figured out.
Prior to "Using SSH (or Putty on a Windows machine)..." to log in from another machine, you must do this on the FreePBX machine:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

Instead of "log in as root"
sudo su

The commands that end in "*" have been changed in version 12, so the instructions are correct.

Instead of "Configure your correct time zone by running: /root/timezone-setup"
Configure your correct time zone by running: ./root/timezone-setup*
(notice one extra character at the beginning and one at the end)

Instead of /root/admin-pw-change
./admin-pw-change*

I was unable to log in as root. In spite of the dire warnings from Ubuntu developers, I enabled the root account as detailed in the following link, but I still could not log in as root:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
It seems that logging in as root is not really necessary anyway. The only thing I am missing is seeing the status screen, and I can type "status" on the command line to see that.

Since my PBX is on a private network, I should not need to modify iptables, but I did anyway.
I received the following error when restarting iptables:
IPtables FQDN problem on line: 148
The unresolvable FQDN is .
This rule will be temporarily disabled to allow IPtables to start.
Fix the error by adding an address, commenting out or deleting the offending line, or perhaps ignore the error:
# -A INPUT -s -j ACCEPT

At first the CLI status screen showed that IPTables was down - DN in red. After a reboot it showed UP in green.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.