QUESTION Two devices, same extension?

PatPend

Reaction score
Is there a way to set up two devices on the same extension in IncrediblePBX? The Grandstream UCX6116 has a feature called "concurrent registrations" that allows for this. Very useful to enable remote users working from home to use their office extension transparently without setting up ring groups etc. Would like to do something similar, basically set up a softphone on my iPhone so I can answer calls when I'm away from the desk. Doable?

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Multiple endpoints can register to the same PJSIP extension. Set the "Max Contacts" greater than 1 in the extension setup.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Multiple endpoints can register to the same PJSIP extension. Set the "Max Contacts" greater than 1 in the extension setup.

Hmm... I've still not upgraded ... but this might give me another reason to. You are saying that you can have more than one extension registered and ring at the same time?

I mean right now - I have 101 = desk phone, then 102 = home phone, and 103 = mobile bria. Then I have ring group to ring all, and tweak the BLF hints so that if any is occupied, then BLF is lit for that user.
You're telling me all the banjo work I do is moot if I instead went with PJsip ??

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Yes. You don't have to change everything, set up a single pjsip ext and test.

PatPend

Reaction score
Thanks. No success for me though, I could not get my desk phone to register to a PJSIP extension. In fact, a second account on the phone, which remained CHAN_SIP, lost registration when I changed the first account/extension to PJSIP. Need to dig in a little more when I have time.

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
VitalPBX allows for multiple devices to be registered to the same user account. No pjsip required.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
VitalPBX allows for multiple devices to be registered to the same user account. No pjsip required.

I don't understand this - it is based on Asterisk, correct? And if no pjsip, you are saying SIP. Sip has devices registered to a specific place so that it knows how to communicate, so how can it know about 2 places at same time or am I missing something here?

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
I don't understand this - it is based on Asterisk, correct? And if no pjsip, you are saying SIP. Sip has devices registered to a specific place so that it knows how to communicate, so how can it know about 2 places at same time or am I missing something here?
Probably about the same as FreePBX in Device and User Mode. Multiple devices can then register to a single user(extension).

billsimon

Reaction score
Does VitalPBX reveal which channel driver it is using?

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
If you have a vitalpbx server go to a extension and look at the drop down menu for devices, here you can add multiple devices to register to the same account.
You can see how to do it here,

dallas

Reaction score
Thanks. No success for me though, I could not get my desk phone to register to a PJSIP extension. In fact, a second account on the phone, which remained CHAN_SIP, lost registration when I changed the first account/extension to PJSIP. Need to dig in a little more when I have time.
Did you set a new port for PJSIP? ie CHAN_SIP on 5060 and PJSIP on 5061.

PatPend

Reaction score
I did not, the port was pre-defined on the "General" tab. I see now that it's an option on the "Advanced" tab but I didn't change it there.

I think creating, deleting, and re-creating the same extension # screwed up the user control panel voicemail display. I can see new voicemails there but the greetings now show up empty even though they do exist.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.