NEWS FLASH Tony Lewis et al Leaving Sangoma

DanZacn

Reaction score
Unless I missed it here, James Finstorm also left Sangoma.

Seems like Sangoma is slowly killing FreePBX
One and two

billsimon

Reaction score

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Speculation is abundant, and solid evidence is not.

Here are some of the new/current developers and support team. https://community.freepbx.org/t/whos-working-on-freepbx-for-pay/60092 While it's sad that our old friends left Sangoma, it's worth getting to know the current FreePBX team and trying to work with them.
Agree. In the IT world they were all dinosaurs. It's rare to have that much longevity on a project. Nevertheless, the timing does raise questions. Not ready to claim the sky is falling, but keeping my umbrella close.

Johann

Reaction score
They locked Andrew Nagy out of FreePBX-everything today.
Glad that it was only what looks like a mistake.

it's worth getting to know the current FreePBX team and trying to work with them.

It's definitely sad to see many people go and Sangoma and the FreePBX forum have surely taken a hit with especially Rob, Tony and Andrew leaving, but I think the high quality support we received from them on the forum is quite unique and it's very rare to have principal developers working for a for profit company frequently respond to user questions like that.
There are still others that help a lot, like Igaetz who is very knowledgeable and helpful and also JColp on the Asterisk forum who has so far responded to almost all of the questions I have posted there.
Yes, there has been a hit, but forum support is still quite good.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
A mistake would have been accidentally deleting Andrew's account. But, according to Andrew: "Update #3! @Sangoma claims they "accidentally" deleted my open source account, Bryan Walter's OS account and Luke Duquaine's OS (1/7)." Coincidentally, that's pretty much the entire (former) FreePBX brain trust. Lots of accidents and button clicks for one day, don't you think??

Probably a good time to settle into a reliable Asterisk platform until next summer when most of the non-compete contracts, if any, would expire under most state law precedents.

Last edited:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Probably a good time to settle into a reliable Asterisk platform until next summer when most of the non-compete contracts, if any, would expire under most state law precedents.

Yep - and build your own repository for JUST IN CASE

billsimon

Reaction score

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score

I'll be in at that IT Expo show for sure. I think they've come to see the real money is in the monthly annuity and they'll pay what it takes to grab a client that they can have for years.

ipv6freely

Reaction score

A limerick to the "legendary" and ballsy entrepreneur Tony Lewis.

There once was a man from Wisconsin,
Who led with his super-sized johnson
The people he hired
Are greatly admired
And may bring forth a VoIP Renaissance'n

:leaving:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Fox guarding the chicken coop...

EFTvpETWsAE0feH

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
Sales guy writes something stupid; twitter goes berserk. I thought that we nerds usually ignored the uninformed & misleading sales people.

It's poorly written. I would say there's a good point hidden in there if you can get past the fact that he keeps writing "open source" when he seems to mean "unprofessionally self-installed and unsupported."

The point I see would be that yes, by spinning an ISO or following a script anyone can have a phone system. The beauty of free and open source. At the same time anyone can have a poorly-performing, misconfigured phone system if they don't have the time & other resources to do what's necessary. That's where it helps to start paying someone or buy a COTS.

I personally don't think it should be read into any more deeply than that, but I am sort of a general optimist (in spite of my occasional grumpy demeanor).

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Last edited:

KNERD

Reaction score
I am sure they know what they are doing. It seems to me, trying to push people to another platform of theirs which has more profit for them.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
My favorite paragraph on the limitations of Asterisk and FreePBX:

"Or let’s say you need other features beyond what the open source version offers. You might want specific routing capability. You might want to add on applications beyond simple phone calls. You might want to add smartphone support via a smartphone client. You need MORE."

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
I'll be in at that IT Expo show for sure. I think they've come to see the real money is in the monthly annuity and they'll pay what it takes to grab a client that they can have for years.

Sounds like TL's new company wants to do cloud provisioning. There is already someone doing the same thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.