SUGGESTIONS To analog or not

MACscr

Reaction score
I have a client with an aging Avaya Partner ACS system with about 10 phones and 4 phone lines. They just signed a 3 year or so contract with Comcast for their internet and phone service. I am looking into replacing their phone system with sip phones, but would like to keep their 4 pots lines from comcast in order to reduce the number of troubles that you can have with sip trunks. I will still be implementing at least 1 sip trunk for overflow and they will have a remote home office or two with phones as well. They do have an analog wired polycom conference phone as well.

I have a few other clients running older asterisk based piaf systems that are full sip and they love them. Yes, they have occasional issues, but they love the flexibility of their system and total lower usage costs.

Anyway, questions are as follows:

1) Are there always going to be slight echo issues with analog cards? I would hope some of the ones with hardware echo cancellation would be decent. Could I get by with a cheaper older 4 port FXO card with hardware cancellation that you can find for about $300 on ebay, etc?

2) Do I get an FXS port for the existing analog conference room phone or simply get something like a Polycom 5000 that can be had for less than $200.

3) Any particular desktop phones people are recommending these days that built in gigabit switches? Im thinking some basic ones for less than $100 that have 4 line appearances. They don't have a lot of network locations in the office, so going to have to share a port with the computer. Going to replace their switch probably with one that provides POE or simply get a 12 port POE injector if their current switch is already gigabit.

Thanks everyone for your time. I sincerely appreciate it. Looking forward to checking out the latest PiaF as its been many years since I setup a brand new one.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
1. No, not necessarily; if you tune the volume/gain properly you can usually get this out. I'd use a Grandstream or Vega these days, I found the Grandstream easier to use, gateway not line cards.
2. Up to you. Yealink has a nice conference phone too.
3. Yealink, always yealink these days for me; been very happy. But they all make one with built in gigabit.

Reaction score
IMO you will always have echo issues or reduced gain. You can adjust all you want on your end but the echo can occur based on whats happening on a particular call to a particular place especially cellphones. Keep the pots line for awhile and forward them to SIP DID's. Forward elsewhere if there is a failure. If they are never going to get any bigger then stick with an analog system. These mixed mode system often suffer DTMF issues also.

MACscr

Reaction score
IMO you will always have echo issues or reduced gain. You can adjust all you want on your end but the echo can occur based on whats happening on a particular call to a particular place especially cellphones. Keep the pots line for awhile and forward them to SIP DID's. Forward elsewhere if there is a failure. If they are never going to get any bigger then stick with an analog system. These mixed mode system often suffer DTMF issues also.

Always? you mean with analog to sip cards? I definitely don't have that issue with SIP trunks. Also, doing SIP allows them a lot of flexibility with remote home offices. They also own a small title company across town and it would be nice to eventually move them to a sip based system in order to allow the offices to be remotely connected to cover phones and transfers, etc.

MACscr

Reaction score
1. No, not necessarily; if you tune the volume/gain properly you can usually get this out. I'd use a Grandstream or Vega these days, I found the Grandstream easier to use, gateway not line cards.
2. Up to you. Yealink has a nice conference phone too.
3. Yealink, always yealink these days for me; been very happy. But they all make one with built in gigabit.

Thanks! The GXW4104 seems like a great deal at $190.

Reaction score
Always? you mean with analog to sip cards? I definitely don't have that issue with SIP trunks. Also, doing SIP allows them a lot of flexibility with remote home offices. They also own a small title company across town and it would be nice to eventually move them to a sip based system in order to allow the offices to be remotely connected to cover phones and transfers, etc.
Yes with analog cards connected to POTS lines

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.