FOOD FOR THOUGHT The FUD Factor

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Soon we will get a look at yet another distro ombutel.com I believe it is link to Xorcom and is asterisk based, not sure if it will be open source.

gary

Jose Rivera

Reaction score
Soon we will get a look at yet another distro ombutel.com I believe it is link to Xorcom and is asterisk based, not sure if it will be open source.

gary

I was an IT expo 2016, So Ombutel isn't Open source but it's Free. have awesome features, and a great GUI, and is not based in FPBX

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, Jose for you reply, did they give an expected release date ? I was not able to travel to Florida for IT expo but I'm very interested in seeing this distro

Jose Rivera

Reaction score
Thanks, Jose for you reply, did they give an expected release date ? I was not able to travel to Florida for IT expo but I'm very interested in seeing this distro

The first ombutel release candidate is at March ending

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
Thanks for being a loyal follower of the Ombutel project.

As you are registered to our list you are one of the first people in the world to receive a link for Ombutel download, just before we make it public on the website.

Here you go:

based on centos 7, firing up now

wa4zlw

Reaction score
I got it too and they now have tutorials and a forum up on their site.

Leon

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
If you subscribed to there email notify you will now see it is now released. Looks real good as does the XIVO distro.

Gary.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
https://www.ombutel.com/en_US/forums/topic/deploying-on-digital-ocean/

testing the below on C@C

Already perform tests in Digital Ocean, these are the steps to work:

1.- wget http://updates.xorcom.com/~xorcom/ombu-docean.tar.gz in /tmp forder/

2.- cd /tmp

3.- tar xzf ombu-docean.tar.gz

4.- cd digital-ocean

5.- edit with vi the file provision.h and coment this 2 line

#setenforce 0
#sed -n ‘s/^SELINUX=.*$/SELINUX=disabled/’ /etc/selinux/config

6.- ./provision.sh

7.- we recommend using at least 1GB of memory.

8.- to troubleshoot audio go to Settings / Technology Settings / Sip Settings and NAT External Address enter the public address of the server. And add the private Local Network.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Latest Ombutel working fine on ImpactVPS using the CentOS 7 setup documented above by @hecatae. I skipped step #8. Used the Ombutel firewall to lock down to our home IP address (see below and add HTTP WhiteList entry to SSH, too. We left SHH exposed while we were testing.). Nice interface throughout. Can't wait to play!

2016: It's All About Choices! :auto:

Cn1YNzDWAAA1Qz5.jpg

Cn1XtnKUEAEf6sL.jpg

Cn1WRMKWIAAOAzJ.jpg

Cn1Z9OOXYAAAe_D.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from this video. Seems like a very thin organization. Don't like the hardware underpinnings of the company either and there a smell of proprietary pieces down the road. We don't need any more closed source experiences. I think if Roger disappeared or loses interest it would be toast.

http://www.asterisk.org/vef/load/6c82a91c645c4c1f8d39df6002ed176e?width=640&height=365

http://www.asterisk.org/community/a...new-way-manage-asterisk-fast-secure-intuitive

I agree, this does not fill me with confidence:

ioncube-loader-5.0.17-1.x86_64

usually used for licensing

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It's not GPL code for sure... except for the thousands of pieces they've "borrowed" from the GPL community. Sound familiar?

billsimon

Reaction score
It's not GPL code for sure... except for the thousands of pieces they've "borrowed" from the GPL community. Sound familiar?

Lately I've been starting to see a correlation in open source projects: the more technically superior and open, the worse the support. Where there is a commercial component, the support is better. There's more on the line.

I would like to cite some examples but I won't because I don't want to be skewered on this matter. At least not today.

But it's frustrating. There is an open source PBX solution out there that, on paper, is everything we've ever talked about and wanted on these forums. It's technically superior to Asterisk and FreePBX. But the support reeks of condescention and a "meh, go away, newb" attitude. Who wants to deal with that?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
There is an open source PBX solution out there that, on paper, is everything we've ever talked about and wanted on these forums. It's technically superior to Asterisk and FreePBX. But the support reeks of condescention and a "meh, go away, newb" attitude. Who wants to deal with that?

Cn5ZUmrWAAAcAS_.jpg

You and I are probably thinking about two different products. I can state unequivocally that XiVO checks all the feature set and open source boxes that anyone could ever ask for, and it's a state-of-the-art Asterisk-based product that's refreshed every 3 weeks. And I've observed the best, free technical support as well. They're also backed and owned by one of the top systems integration houses in Europe. The icing on the cake is that XiVO still supports the PHP building blocks that most of us are familiar with, unlike "the other" product.

Here's the challenge. Change is ALWAYS difficult! If everyone would spend ONE WEEK with XiVO, the future direction of open source for the Asterisk community would be a no-brainer. We've made it incredibly easy to kick the tires!

What has been particularly disappointing through all of this has been Digium's branding of a closed-source, non-GPL product with the AsteriskNOW label. And the thanks they've gotten in return is another proprietary SIP phone that directly competes with their bread-and-butter hardware offering. There's certainly room for commercial solutions in the PBX space. But there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

MORAL OF THE STORY: It pays to be careful about whom you jump in bed with. :eek:

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
Yes, different products. I haven't tried Xivo yet. I look forward to doing so in some free time!

Reaction score
Very familiar.... If a group wants to join and support the Asterisk community and benefit from our time and effort they need to do more than create a closed source GUI and then expect that we'll debug and further develop it for them. Doing so almost insures that they will dissapoint us and do what others did.

Also, the community doesn't have endless hours to spend on additions that don't have a clear direction and everything that goes along with that.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Lately I've been starting to see a correlation in open source projects: the more technically superior and open, the worse the support. Where there is a commercial component, the support is better. There's more on the line.
I think that's pretty much always been the case. It's not just "trouble ticket" type support, but also adding new features, quality and simplicity of installs, general ease of use, etc. Most open source seems to be built around the 80/20 rule for geeks. Unless there are commercial $$$ involved, the resources often aren't there to get past that 80% mark in any meaningful way.

It's how invasive those dollars are where the issues comes into play.

wa4zlw

Reaction score
Haven't looked at Xivo yet no time. how does it handle PJSIP extensions?

Leon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.