SUGGESTIONS The best sounding TTS available today?

Bart

Reaction score
I want to provide a service where a message in text can be converted to speech (wav) and then played to a caller. All of the text to speech applications I've found so far sound robotic and unnatural.

I hear people using something on YouTube that does a good job, but don't know which app they are using.

I was wondering if any of you have found something you would recommend (commercial or free)

Thanks, Bart

restamp

Reaction score
While it certainly could not be mistaken for a real person, I use pico to produce canned messages which can then be uploaded. It's free, it's already built and downloadable as a Linux package, and it sounds the least bad of those packages I've tried. I don't see any reason it cannot be invoked directly on the same box you are running Asterisk on. Unfortunately, it has a somewhat screwy command-line interface, something like:
Code:
$ pico2wave -w file16.wav "$(<file.txt)" && ffmpeg -i file16.wav -ar 8k file.wav
A small sample of pico output can be found here: http://cboh.org/piaf/keypadtest.wav

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.