FOOD FOR THOUGHT SWITCH IN A FLASH ALPHA AVAILABLE

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Ok so it took forever. Here is it Switch in a Flash ALPHA.

It combines FreeSWITCH and BlueBox as the configuration GUI

Now available with fresh installs using the 20645 ISO only. Simply run a new install choose freeswitch from the isomenu program and follow the instructions in the attached manual

I have written an installation manual and it is attached

There is NO configuration manual yet! We need people to work with it and provide us with some screen captures once they get a working system.

Here are a couple of screen shots

44.jpg
43.jpg

Attachments

• InstallSiaf.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 52

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
One other thing I forgot we have enabled the zrtp mode when the system is initially compiled. Have fun NSA!

Tom

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Spinning up an image on Proxmox now. Will let you know how it goes.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Just gotta be first out of the gate! Yah this time all the testing was done on virtualbox have not had a chance to try it completely with vmware workstation or esxi. Xen is for another day.

Tom

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Actually one other thing the 64 bit version has not been fully tested yet.... really pre alpha as opposed to the 32bit version. I seem to remember in all the research that there was a compiler flag that had to be added to freeswitch or bluebox somewhere under 64bit.

Tom

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Got a good laugh out of this! :)
teupLMb.png

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
well when we are were developing it the amount of time it took to compile was a long time and we all got impatient. Of course there are a number of the humor impaired out there.

Tom

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Well it looks like it installed fine. Silly me - I can't get behind my firewall where the VM is to fix the 1:1 NAT so that I can get to the web interface. From the VNC session, it logs in fine. Status doesn't report any errors. Dang IP conflict between local range and VPN range.
Project for later tonight when I'm back at home base.

billsimon

Reaction score
It's great to see this! Thank you.

If feedback on this project shows distaste for blue.box, I will donate time to the project to integrating FusionPBX instead.

Tried both, found FusionPBX to be far superior (IMO) as well as actively developed. I have two FusionPBX instances up now.

The other thing worth mentioning is that if you (darmock) end up encountering build problems related to system libraries, the developers of FreeSWITCH are largely in Debian Linux these days. I spoke with them on the IRC channel for a while and ended up going to Debian myself for compatibility reasons. Not saying it doesn't work on CentOS (of course it does, as you have done). I was sunk in CentOS when I tried compiling some of the additional FS modules.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Fusion PBX is our next target and any feedback you have is always appreciated. I have already spun up a build environment just for this. Build problems seem to be endemic regardless of the engine software (think asterisk 12). I hate to throw away all of our automated build processes and well as infrastructure on Centos due to some difficult chunks of code. Debian has it's points however most of our core group prefer Centos. I can always try to assist you Bill if you have problems with Centos, you have done so much for our little community. When I was building the latest ISO there were a couple of things that updates that had been broken upstream by Red Hat which we finally got working by recompiling some of the rpm's. So far however FreeSWITCH seems quite happy under CentOS and the few extra modules I have tried seem to work just fine. The real problem seems to be BlueBox which does not seem to be as feverishly developed as FreePBX. The development team has had contact in the past with the gang at 2600hz and they wanted us to basically do what we have finally finished. Now the 2600hz gang seem to be concentrating on Kazoo which looks like is a money maker. We have also been planning to make some specialized appliances that use FreeSWITCH without a gui front end similar to the FreeSWITCH <> Skype gateway for asterisk however who knows if that will work after Dec similar to the plans for GV. My personal reason for getting this done was for ZRTP support and getting it out to the masses :eek: One of the side benefits to this is that our little group of projects seem to be turning into the "Swiss utility knife" of voip.

Since the FusionPBX stuff is beyond this message thread PM me and send your thoughts and advice on FusionPBX

Thanks for your feedback.

Respectfully

Tom

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Installed on a VMWare server all went smooth with the install, now just need time to play.

gary

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Thanks that is good news... I have been testing things on various hardware and virtualization platforms and so far so good. I urge everyone to keep track of how they do what when it comes to the actual configuration of the system via bluebox as we really need to create a wiki or something like it just for freeswitch bluebox.

Also just spinning up FreeSWITCH with FusionPBX all on a centos package..... a very different beast as it needs a number of custom rpms and a higher version of PHP than Centos uses.... It will be a HIGHLY customized install. Most of the heavy lifting has been done however and I am just recompiling the "odd" rpms so they will run under centos... been very interesting. I can understand why Bill (a few messages back) was alluding to problems getting it to run plain CentOS however with any luck (and some help from the CentOS guys! Go Team) we will have something RSN.

I know I have been bugging the forum gods to set up a separate forum just for FreeSWITCH stuff (aka SIAF)
:beatdeadhorse5:

Tom

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
I liked fusion over bluebox several years ago but stuck with PBX in a Flash (easier to get going and forum support)

dschreiber

Reaction score
Ok so it took forever. Here is it Switch in a Flash ALPHA.

It combines FreeSWITCH and BlueBox as the configuration GUI

Holy crap! I wish I had known you guys were working on this :-/

If there is interest in updating and reviving blue.box I am all-in but thus far nobody had volunteered. Want us to update the FS version and fix Gtalk integration?

Hyksos

Guru
Reaction score

If there is interest in updating and reviving blue.box I am all-in but thus far nobody had volunteered. Want us to update the FS version and fix Gtalk integration?

Shouldn't the effort be aimed at an all in one Kazoo including the Kazoo Gui?
To my untrained eye this would look to make more sense compared to parallel efforts on bluebox and or FusionPBX?
But maybe there is a big thing I'm not getting?

An all in one Kazoo + Gui also have a clear path to scaling... remove the all in one part when ready and when you are kazoonledgeable, no?
To me it's so desirable and sensical to have an all in one Kazoo PBX, just like asterisk "the switch" had asterisk+freepbx as distros to express itself as a PBX, that there must be something preventing this or else 2600hz would pursue this to expose the project to a instant success on another front, no?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
lgaetz I had similar issues, except that I couldn't even get an extension to register. But that is most likely due to my wonky setup with my Proxmox VMs. Didn't even try to trunk yet.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score

I have been meaning to touch base again with you however life is somewhat busy. This has been on our list of things to do and we finally got around to doing it. I suppose that any updates would be a good thing I must admit we were looking for an alternative to the successful asterisk/freepbx combination. Alternatives are always a good thing as they foster development and I really don't believe they dilute effort to perfect a product. Some of us are now working on FusionPBX and I see from some of the other messages a Kazoo version might be implemented also. Not being familiar with Kazoo if you would give me a 50 cent tour it would be appreciated.

I believe an update to bluebox would be a good thing although due to the recent announcement by Google I am not sure how valuable the Google voice piece would be. Some of our dev team has started to look at our group of projects as really a swiss army knife of voip. Let us know how we can help accomplish things.... My personal interest is promulgating the adoption of the zphone project using an easy to implement chunk of software. FreeSWITCH is ideal for this now we just need a great UI that can speed adoption of this platform.

One of the great things about the PIAF community is we can rapidly prototype and debug things which is always good for various software projects. If there is enough interest a Switch in a Flash - Kazoo project could be done.

PM Ward and I when you get a chance.

Tom

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Thank the great forum gods for providing this forum you have heap big juju!

Tom

:angel:

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
I have been an SIAF admin now for about 8 minutes. If you don't mind, I will document things here that need attention even if they are rightfully considered low priority at the moment:
  1. In the kennonsoft menu, menu configuration changes can't be saved, i.e can't disable menu wrapper or the end user menu. The conf file:
    /var/www/html/welcome/.htindes.dat is owned by root:root, what user does apache run as Apache runs as user apache, chown file .htindex.dat to apache:apache will fix.
  2. The webmin button doesn't work until the menu wrapper is disabled, see #1
  3. How do you get the traditional status output shown above, 'status' at the CLI does nothing for me? CLI commands are: statussiaf, help-siaf and siaf-menu
I feel your pain!

1. I would really like to replace this with a new version but need a crackerjack programmer to donate some time for this!

will fix the .dat file.... BTW this version also has update-programs and update-fixes just like all of our other products. Will have an update-source eventually but updating FS is actually much easier just have to plumb the guts to make it work.

3. I may end up normalizing all the names as it is really to complex for people who switch around thus statussiaf > status etc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.