RECOMMENDATIONS Still Reluctant To Rely On Internet Based Trunks

bk1

Reaction score
So far, I have mainly gone with either traditional PRIs from ATT, or a fiber PRI from a local telco or Time Warner Cable Bus class. Time Warner's big push lately is SIP trunks. I like the pricing and am interested.

Do you guys have any experience with SIP trunks from Time Warner?

It seems like using internet based trunks is very popular around here but I just am not yet sold on their reliability. It just seems like you can't do QOS all the way from your network to their's and there are too many variables in between.

Thanks for the input!!

Reaction score
the cable providers use 'separate' vlans for SIP that have their own priority. The reliability is really related to the last leg of the connection to your business and how it's affected by wind, trees, power failures and distance. If your connection to them is underground fiber it's going to be fairly reliable. Most SIP services can be easily rerouted if there is an outside plant issue. Some providers have very robust outside plant implementations and some don't. The higher speeds are forcing them to upgrade.

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
All my systems are internet based (non ISP trunks). Over all providers and service is getting better each year.

Mango

www.toao.net
Reaction score
It just seems like you can't do QOS all the way from your network to their's

No personal experience with TW, but unless your ISP is oversold in your neighbourhood, you won't be able to tell the difference between VoIP over internet and your PRI. If you're sharing the internet link with other internet traffic, make sure your router is configured to throttle both incoming and outgoing traffic to 80% of its actual speed. This is because jitter and packet loss increases as the link nears saturation, so you sacrifice a little speed for good audio quality.

Your router won't be able to throttle incoming traffic if you're getting DDoSed, but throttling requests and receipts is very effective in the large proportion of internet traffic that small/medium businesses see.

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
So far, I have mainly gone with either traditional PRIs from ATT, or a fiber PRI from a local telco or Time Warner Cable Bus class. Time Warner's big push lately is SIP trunks. I like the pricing and am interested.

It seems like using internet based trunks is very popular around here but I just am not yet sold on their reliability. It just seems like you can't do QOS all the way from your network to their's and there are too many variables in between.

Thanks for the input!!

TWC has spotty service on SIP trunking.. It goes back to the primary physics-based issue with cable - it is susceptible to temp fluctuations, outages due to storms/trees/etc, and to the quality of your local service tech.

They do have some QOS and VLAN control, but IMHO they're no better than any other service.

We've run some setups with them, and eventually went to a RentPBX or our own PBX inside the building, with either cable, fibre, or a cable/DSL (with failover), and have had equal ore better service elsewhere...

Sippy

Reaction score

Thanks for the input!!

Like you I have been selling dedicated circuits like att flex or carriers like Ayrespring because my area doesn't have good internet. However if a customer has Uverse or fiber optic service, I sell them voip.ms and put them on a server that is within 25ms and the service is outstanding. I private label voip.ms and manage it. I make lots of markup on voip.ms and it is the same thing the carriers are doing. att bvoip is not their product. Another company does it. Windstream has a voip isp do theirs. If it works for the big boys it will work for you. You can configure an automatic failover route on voip.ms if it fails. My 2 cents.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Like you I have been selling dedicated circuits like att flex or carriers like Ayrespring because my area doesn't have good internet. However if a customer has Uverse or fiber optic service, I sell them voip.ms and put them on a server that is within 25ms and the service is outstanding. I private label voip.ms and manage it. I make lots of markup on voip.ms and it is the same thing the carriers are doing. att bvoip is not their product. Another company does it. Windstream has a voip isp do theirs. If it works for the big boys it will work for you. You can configure an automatic failover route on voip.ms if it fails. My 2 cents.

Agree with all. And as others have said, if you are using SIP trunking, if you don't have lots of bandwidth or just want to be safe, invest in a good QOS router ... PFsense. It can save your day.

Johann

Reaction score
TWC has spotty service on SIP trunking.
Whatever business phone service you get from Time Warner these days is SIP anyway.
They might sell you a PRI or analog trunks, but the only thing that is different is the handoff. SIP backbone all the way.
We have business class phone with them and can't complain.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.