DEAL Steal on Cloud Servers $1.00/mo.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here's a great deal on 2 sandboxes ($36/year total) if you hurry. That works out to $1.50/mo. per cloud server. Awesome performance on our servers in Miami.

https://www.woothosting.com/pulse/cart.php?a=add&pid=88

NEW FEATURE: Advanced DDoS Protection Included!

Code:
SpeedTest hosted by Comcast (Miami, FL) [4.24 km]: 3.298 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 385.94 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 163.55 Mbit/s

Last edited:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Without prejudice, Ward you also promulgated CloudAtCost, which ultimately didn't work out too well for many.

What are these guys credentials and why would anyone trust them, Once bitten , twice shy for many here, and then they have no guarantee that one's investment is anything but an empty promise, no? (look at their heritage !!)

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@dicko: There were plenty of disclaimers about CloudAtCost that are well documented on this forum. I don't mention providers without testing them first. The CloudAtCost saga was carefully documented as the months rolled by. It was never touted as anything more than a sandbox. Ultimately, folks have to judge providers for themselves. When we spot good deals, we try to share them as do many others. Our track record has been pretty good, and I don't think anyone believed the C@C something-for-nothing promise would last forever. If $36 is too rich for a gamble, don't do it. Simple as that.

Just adding this update from an early Nerd Vittles article about CloudAtCost and a followup Nerd Vittles article which said much the same thing:

If you take our recommendation, you’ll need to go into this with the right attitude. It’s not going to be flawless perfection computing. It’s a sandbox on which to experiment with Linux, and VoIP, and Cloud Computing. Will your virtual machine disintegrate at some juncture? Maybe so. We’ve had about a third of ours fail at some point. But you can rebuild them easily, especially if you keep a backup. Our experience is that the first couple days are critical. If you start seeing sluggish performance which degenerates to zero, don’t waste your time. Take good notes as you go along, delete the virtual machine, and rebuild a new one. It won’t cost you a dime, and it’ll save you hours of frustration. We suspect that bad folks get onto some of the servers and delight in bringing the machines to their knees. So the quicker you cut your losses, the better off you will be. Is CloudAtCost a good solution for production use? Don’t risk it unless waterboarding is your favorite sport. It’s probably not gonna work, and you WILL be disappointed. Repeat after me: IT’S A SANDBOX!

I would hasten to add that CloudAtCost has gone steadily downhill in the last six months so something has definitely changed on their end.

Last edited:

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
I can't disagree but a 12 month commitment for an "unknown" at $3 a month versus a $2.50 a month sandbox with a proven vendor like vultr and no commitment ? . Seems a no-brainer to me.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
The site indicates "Access to predefined OS templates". But I can not find a description. Anyone know what is included?

Also, when looking at news none of the more buttons seem to work, instead the take to to an ordering / domain search function.

----

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@phonebuff: Here are the OS templates that are available. They cover all of the Incredible PBX platforms and then some:

DFvfqEPXkAIbzvw.jpg

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I can't disagree but a 12 month commitment for an "unknown" at $3 a month versus a $2.50 a month sandbox with a proven vendor like vultr and no commitment ? . Seems a no-brainer to me.

Vultr is a terrific platform, and we've repeatedly said so. 50 cents more with Vultr buys you nightly backups which is a Big Deal for us. But Cloud Computing is all about choices, backup servers, AND redundancy. Particularly for VoIP deployments, inexpensive OpenVZ solutions such as this WootHosting special make a lot of sense, especially as a backup or HA site.

WootHosting is the first solution we've found that hits the $1.50/month target. $3 actually gets you two identical servers offering 2GB of RAM, 30GB of storage, and 2TB of bandwidth each in an ultra high performance computing platform on both the east and west coasts so each VPS is about half the cost of Vultr with 400% better specs. A comparable Vultr solution would be $10/month each for two VPS platforms to reach WootHosting VPS parity. Comparing apples to apples, that $20/month for two Vultr servers would buy you 12 VPS platforms at WootHosting compared to 2 at Vultr! The WootHosting $1.50 VPS is roughly equivalent to the $3.49/mo. offering at OVH (which we also love), but it's less than half the cost with much better deployment sites at least for us.

WootHosting has been in business on the West Coast for a decade so they're a step above an "unknown." I've opened 3 support tickets with them on various things and always got a response within an hour and a solution within a couple hours.

Incidentally, we don't pull these out of our :asshole:. Take a look at LowEndBox for regular specials worth considering. And, as I mentioned previously, we've had great success with WootHosting having invested hundreds of dollars in both their KVM and OpenVZ solutions.

Lots of other WootHosting deals available here.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
New York was added to the available VPS locations list this morning. So now there's L.A., Miami, and New York.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Demo the Miami VPS voice quality for yourself. Choose Option 5 for IBM TTS or Option 6 for Amazon Polly TTS.

C-2F6IdXYAAt_bL.jpg

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Lots of new specials today to celebrate the grand opening of their New York facility. Check out what $1.50 a month now buys!

OpenVZ VPS Specials - New York:

OpenVZ VPS Special (New York) 1GB:
2 CPU Core Allocations
1024MB (1GB) Dedicated RAM
1024MB vSwap
50GB Secured Disk Space
3000GB Premium Bandwidth
1 IPv4 Address
30 IPv6 Addresses
100Mbps Port Speed
Instantly Setup

Special Pricing: $12.00 Annually
Order Link: https://www.woothosting.com/pulse/cart.php?a=add&pid=90

OpenVZ VPS Special (New York) 2GB:
4 CPU Core Allocations
2048MB (2GB) Dedicated RAM
2048MB vSwap
150GB Secured Disk Space (Wow! Large Storage!)
3000GB Premium Bandwidth
1 IPv4 Address
30 IPv6 Addresses
1000Mbps Port Speed
Instantly Setup

Special Pricing: $18.00 Annually
Order Link: https://www.woothosting.com/pulse/cart.php?a=add&pid=91

OpenVZ VPS Special (New York) 8GB:
8 CPU Core Allocations
8192MB (8GB) Dedicated RAM
8GB vSwap
200GB Secured Disk Space
5000GB Premium Bandwidth
1 IPv4 Address
30 IPv6 Addresses
1000Mbps Port Speed
Instantly Setup

Special Pricing: $9.00 Monthly or $79.00 Annually
Order Link: https://www.woothosting.com/pulse/cart.php?a=add&pid=92

Last edited:

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
OpenVZ you can't upgrade your kernel, right? If that is so, then 3CX will not run on this.

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
@nerduno, what pbx flavor you running on Woothosting? Any ethernet port issues with OpenVZ?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@tbrummell: I've sent an inquiry to 3CX regarding OpenVZ platforms for 3CX.

@w1ve: Thus far, we have both Wazo 17.10 and Issabel 4 running reliably at WootHosting.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
I tried a 3CX on it but the installer complained about the kernel being too old. I needed the box up quick to demo the video conferencing, so I spun it up on Vultr instead.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
So here's the problem with 3CX and OpenVZ at WootHosting.
First, OpenVZ by definition uses a shared kernel so... you can't update it on your individual container.
Second, 3CX requires a 3.x kernel for Debian 8.
Finally, the OpenVZ kernel at WootHosting (like most OpenVZ implementations except Virtuozzo) is 2.6.32 as shown below:
Code:
Linux 3cx-mia 2.6.32-042stab123.3 #1 SMP Fri May 5 12:29:05 MSK 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

It's apparently a major expense for providers to switch to Virtuozzo and a 3.x kernel which is why most providers don't do it.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I think the OpenVZ platform itself is tied to the 2.6 kernel. So I don't think you can upgrade the kernel without moving to another release of OpenVZ. Micro$oft would call it a "feature." Try finding an OpenVZ platform that is not 2.6-based just for grins. It's the reason we ditched Proxmox way back when.

The security issues really don't matter much for Incredible PBX and other platforms that use the Travelin' Man 3 whitelist firewall because the bad guys can't even see your server. Personally, we don't use OpenVZ for public web servers because port 80 is exposed. But, for PBXs with a whitelist firewall, it doesn't much matter... and it's dirt cheap.

Last edited:

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
I think the OpenVZ platform itself is tied to the 2.6 kernel. So I don't think you can upgrade the kernel without moving to another release of OpenVZ. Micro$oft would call it a "feature." Try finding an OpenVZ platform that is not 2.6-based just for grins. It's the reason we ditched Proxmox way back when.

OpenVZ follows RHEL, as RHEL6 is still supported until 2019 https://wiki.openvz.org/Download/kernel there is no reason to move to RHEL7

If it's not broken, dont fix it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.