DEAL Sprint Unlimited* 1-Yr-Free BYOD

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
For a limited time, Sprint is again offering 1 Year of "unlimited" talk, text, and data for (almost) free. You don't have to be a Verizon customer to qualify. All you need is a compatible Sprint/Verizon phone (should be plenty of these after the RingPlus fiasco) and an existing phone number. You pay $13 to get a SIM card overnight, and then you pay taxes and fees every month. No other charges as long as you choose automatic credit card billing. Here's the link.

If you don't have an existing number to port (VoIP numbers won't work. We tried.), here's what worked for us for about $25 + tax.

Buy a TracFone BYO Smartphone kit at WalMart for under $10. When you activate TracFone with any existing smartphone that you own, sign up for the least costly plan which is $15 a month. You’ll have a choice of using AT&T, Verizon, or T-Mobile with your existing smartphone. Just be sure your phone is unlocked and supports the carrier you choose. All three are available in the TracFone BYOP kit. Once you’re sure the number is working, write down the last 15 digits of the TracFone SIM card number you used. That becomes your account number when you port the line to Sprint. Log into your TracFone account, click on your phone number and set an Alias for your name. Make it 0000, and that becomes your PIN for porting purposes. Now you’re ready to sign up for Sprint service. Use your TracFone number and everything should work within minutes. Be sure the name on your Sprint and TracFone accounts is the same.

Last edited:

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Do you (or does anyone else who has gone this route) have a sense for what the total monthly taxes and fees might be? I'd assume they are what would be applied to the $60/mo. unlimited plan that they are essentially giving away. That's the usual drill...

Does anyone know if the number to be ported has to currently be with a non-Sprint-based provider? In other words, will Sprint say that a number currently with FreedomPop-Sprint, or Ting-Sprint, or Boom-Sprint is ineligible?

Tempting, but as a light user the taxes and fees only on a $60 Sprint plan might be more than what I am paying now. :)

However, I will be needing to renew my cable Internet in a month or three, and I have learned that having a robust wireless source that I can pipe in to my home router allows me to threaten to (or to actually) cancel cable Internet and renew after a month or three as a new user, under the the then-available promotional rate.

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
The phone list is very limited. I tried a couple of Samsung phones -- a 3 and a 6 -- no go.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, after I posted above I went digging a bit and discovered that none of my Sprint-compatible phones are on the list.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Eligible devices include (domestic versions):
  • Alcatel IDOL5
  • Apple iPhone 5c (Verizon only)
  • Apple iPhone 5s (Verizon only)
  • Apple iPhone 6
  • Apple iPhone 6 Plus
  • Apple iPhone 6s
  • Apple iPhone 6s Plus
  • Apple iPhone 7 (Verizon only)
  • Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon only)
  • Apple iPhone 8 (Verizon only)
  • Apple iPhone 8 Plus (Verizon only)
  • Apple iPhone SE
  • Apple iPhone X (Verizon only)
  • BLU S1/VIVO S
  • Essential Phone
  • Google Nexus 5 (16 & 32 GB – black/white/red) (Verizon only)
  • Google Nexus 5X (all versions)
  • Google Nexus 6 (32 & 64 GB – black/white)
  • Google Nexus 6P (all versions)
  • Google Pixel
  • Google Pixel XL
  • Google Pixel 2
  • Google Pixel XL 2
  • HTC One A9 (Sprint Version only)
  • LG X Charge
  • moto e4
  • moto e4 plus
  • moto g4
  • moto g4 play
  • moto g4 plus
  • moto g5 plus
  • moto g5s plus special edition
  • moto x pure edition
  • moto x4
  • moto z2 play
  • Orbic Wonder
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Do you (or does anyone else who has gone this route) have a sense for what the total monthly taxes and fees might be?

Our first bill just arrived. The total charge was $3.28. This could obviously vary depending upon your state's taxes.

For the year, that works out to $39 . Adding the monthly fees to our $40 initial setup cost, that brings the annual cost to $79 which works out to roughly $6.50 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data on Sprint's network (with the usual qualifiers about unlimited data gotcha's). That's not free, but it's close enough for government work. :santa:

Last edited:

chris_c_

Reaction score
Compare Sprint's $6.50/month net cost for unlimited 4G LTE data, native texting and native VoLTE/2G talk, to FreedomPop's $49/year ($4.14/month) 1GB LTE data, 1000 minutes VOIP talk in their app, 1000 texts over IP in their app... no contest, this Sprint deal wins overwhelmingly!!
You just have to buy a pre-owned compatible phone, and finagle a phone number if you don't already have a cell number.
@wardmundy I heard some had success porting in a GVoice number claiming it was a Google Fi number, did this not work for you? You realize you have to unlock the number at GVoice first so the port out works? Tell more about your troubles porting out a voip number please.

chris_c_

Reaction score
Update, $3.67/month (taxes for CT) = unlimited LTE data + 10 GB hotspot, for 12 months. No contact, switch away at any time. Up to 5 smart phones per account. Best mobile deal in the USA right now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.