R.I.P. [Solved] PIAF + RasPi + Android = frustration

imhavoc

Reaction score
Got my Rasperry Pi PIAF up and running. No problems. Got my Windows and Linux Yate clients connected. No problems.

I've tried over and over and over to get any Android SIP client to connect - NO JOY.

I don't even see connection attempts in the logs!

Any ideas?

I've tried:
- Zoiper
- CSimpleSIP
- Bria Mobile
- MuziDroid

I have tried to try 3CX, but there is no way that I can find of doing the provisioning.

I messed around with VOIP back in 2008 and have forgotten everything I learned back then.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Stick with Zoiper, it does sip over udp,tcp and tls and also iax2. If you have a port confusion ( 5060,5061,5160 blah blah) , use iax2 , it always works over 4569 unless you really mess with it, and for your firewall "one port rules all" if you use iax2 then of course create an iax2 extension to match. ( I don't think 3cx knows about IAX2 though)

imhavoc

Reaction score
Nothin'. I got nothin'. No evidence that the phone is even attempting to communicate with the server. What gives? Yate connects instantly and flawlessly. My phone will not even try to connect to asterisk. I can SSH into the server from the phone, but none of the VOIP apps make a connection.

dicko

Reaction score
Nothin'. I got nothin'. No evidence that the phone is even attempting to communicate with the server. What gives? Yate connects instantly and flawlessly. My phone will not even try to connect to asterisk. I can SSH into the server from the phone, but none of the VOIP apps make a connection.

Then you have a network problem. from inside your asterisk server, and in bash

tcpdump port 5060 or port 4569

if nothing, then check your firewall/router, as sip 'something' will always be on 5060 and iax2 will always be on 4569 unless you really "quared it up"

imhavoc

Reaction score
tcpdump reveals that communication is happening, but (apparently) that all connections from the android phone are being rejected (testing with Zoiper).

Is there any chunk of the tcpdump data that would be helpful to post?

dicko

Reaction score
No, tcpdump shows the packers traversing the network you are watching, if not successful in asterisk, then

tailf /var/log/asterisk/full

Failing that sip set debug on in asterisk cli. If using iax2 then iax2 set debug on.

Last edited:

imhavoc

Reaction score
tailf /var/log/asterisk/full

Shows nothing when the Android clients attempt and fail to register with the asterisk server.

When I connect from Yate, I get:

[2018-02-25 23:31:58] VERBOSE[2050] chan_sip.c: Registered SIP '701' at 192.168.1.12:5060
[2018-02-25 23:31:58] NOTICE[2050] chan_sip.c: Peer '701' is now Reachable. (20ms / 2000ms)

imhavoc

Reaction score
I wonder if I did something wrong during the initial setup. At this point, I can easily blow it all away and start from scratch.

dicko

Reaction score
No, you just blew the setup of your soft phone, firewall or router

Last edited:

imhavoc

Reaction score
Yes. I have verified that it is on the lan, and that it has network access to the VoIP box by connecting with ssh from the phone.

dicko

Reaction score
Are all your softphones inside the same machine? if so does that machine have afirewakll between it and the pbx?

dicko

Reaction score
Thats not what i asked , are all tbose soft phones in the same machine, if so what is the nature of that machine?

imhavoc

Reaction score
All of the softphones that are failing to connect are in the same machine.
The machine in question is an Android phone.

dicko

Reaction score
From the pbx box

tcpdump host lp.of.android.phone

Watch as you try a call

TirsoJRP

Reaction score
Please post the asterisk log while the softphone is trying to connect.

imhavoc

Reaction score
So, it looks like my phone is approaching end of life. I can consistently log in from my tablet. If I reboot my phone, it can log in for a while, but the following day, it starts failing. Something has gone wrong with the network stack in the phone. Thanks for the help!

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.