sneak peak....

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
We have been working hard on providing the final component for the PIAF 2062x Tree. We are creating a new incredible-backup. In the new version, The Incredible Backup 2.0, will run under Centos 6.2.x and above. There are numerous new features also.

1. 4 different programs and one configuration file will be provided. Install-incredbackup2 -- this installs The Incredible Backup 2.0 onto your server. It installs incredible-backup and incredible-restore, extract-mysqldump along with the incredbackup.conf file

2. ftp, smb, and usb tranfers along with some rsync functionality are present and have been extensively updated. The team made a decision and removed pogoplug and cloud support.

3. Incredible-backup will now backup the critical files requires to restore your PIAF server to another like server. Information about your server is now stored in the backup file.This means less problems and a more seamless restore process. All systems are now checked for compatibility prior to doing a backup.

4. A decision was make to NOT support beta or RC versions of freepbx. If you want to propagate a beta/rc install of freepbx you will have to use their built in method for this purposes. Once freepbx turns to full release status the backup/restore will automatically work on freepbx 2.10 systems. This move is similar to not supporting asterisk alpha/beta/rc/svn versions with this software.

5. The incredible-restore portion now senses the system you are trying to restore to and compares it with the system information from the backup. If the 2 match (with some exceptions then the restore takes place. For example if the centos version is 6.3 and the backups version is 6.2 you will still be able to restore.

6. This is not a migration tool! This backup restore paradigm will NOT allow you to go between family versions of asterisk/freepbx for example asterisk 1.8 <> 10 or freepbx 2.9 <> 2.10. You are also stuck with Centos 6.2 or above. It will allow upward migration but not downward migration. Nor will it allow you to move between centos <> ubuntu. Also you cannot move between 32 and 64 bit. While developing this we tried and it toasted a system.

7. This is primarily designed for servers running on REAL hardware. While this SHOULD work in virtualization any problems may take a while to fix. We currently develop and test under vmware workstation 8/ Proxmox Version 1.8 ONLY/Xen (thanks Rent PBX) and on real hardware. Any other virtualization environments are NOT supported. I know that everyone thinks that their virtualization is best but this is what the PIAF Dev Team has chosen to use. If it works in your virtualization environment let us know.

8. Incredible PBX and FAX should backup and restore just fine.

9. The incredible-backup can NOT be run through a cron job.

10. A complete MySQL dump file is now included in the backup archive

How would a real world backup and restore work?

a. On your existing PIAF 2062x server run install-incredbackup2
b. Once the program installs configure the /etc/pbx/incredbackup2.conf file
c. Run incredible-backup
d. Depending on your options the backup file will be moved somewhere off of your PIAF server.
e. Catastrophe happens and your PIAF server fails because it caught on fire. Open up the spare computer you always have on hand (you do don't you?) and get the latest PIAF 206X iso (Anything prior to 20621 will NOT work) and do an install of piaf. You will need to know what the old system had on it. We have been thinking of including a summary file inside the actual backup that contains this information similar to statustofile.
f. You remember your old server had both incredible FAX/PBX installed so you install those onto your new system.
g. You run install-incredbackup2 on the new system
h. Copy across the backup archive to /backup/incredible
i. run incredible-restore.
j. You will need to change the ip address after the install completes to the ip of your old server.
k. You should have a working system just like when you did the last backup.

ALSO

If you want to restore to the MySQL database. Either the whole thing or a table we now include a complete snapshot of the database within the backup archive, We have also created extract-mysqldump which will extract the dump file from a Incredible Backup 2.0 archive file. It is then up to you to use the MySQL dump file as you see fit as it is beyond the scope of this produce to do so.

We will generate a pdf file with the steps. Yes it is complicated! But it works and is reliable. This does not replace whole disk backups but is a useful tool for a complete backup strategy. Also it comes with a restore program that takes most of the heavy lifting away.

There will be more when it gets done.

This program once it is available will initially be classified as beta then to full release status. We really need you guys to give it a workout for us.

Tom

lowno

Guru
Reaction score
I think I just wet my pants. Wow.

Backup / restore has long been the weakness of asterisk based deployments, imho.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
After you change your pants think about a donation to us to keep the lights on in the lab. Contact me via PM for details.

Tom

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Well I have released the alpha version to our alpha testers. Thanks but we dont need any more of them

Looking good so far.

Tom

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
I have updated the initial post in this thread as we are nearing an initial beta release. This focus of this program has changed to a manual backup and restore. Automation of the backup and restore process will be handled by a different application. (NEW PROGRAM)

Tom

Fred Rat

Reaction score
Any update?

I'm really looking forward to using this. I've tried other backup choices and haven't been very comfortable with them providing me a complete and quick recovery. I am in the process of upgrading our servers, and am ready to move from my test server to production, having a good tool to help with that and do the backups would be most excellent.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Unfortunately we have had too much on the stove as of late so this got pushed back a bit hopefully RSN after I get a chance to put the final touches on it as suggested by the alpha guys. Then it gets release for beta.

Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.