SOLVED SMSBlast and gvoice CLI Dead: Here's (yet another) Fix

Richard Beyer

Reaction score
I'm successfully using my google voice account as a trunk for IncrediblePBX. I decided to give the smsblast script a try and it failed. Using the gvoice app directly and entering my Google credentials at the prompts results in:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/sbin/gvoice", line 79, in <module>
login()
File "/usr/local/sbin/gvoice", line 49, in login
voice.login(options.email,options.passwd)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/googlevoice/voice.py", line 71, in login
galx = re.search(r"name=\"GALX\" type=\"hidden\"\n *value=\"(.+)\"", content).gro

I know that Google now requires oAuth2 logins and this apparently doesn't provide for that but I thought they might be using the credentials in some other way to gain access. Apparently not.

Is this app now a "dead horse" that I should dismount? Any future plans to somehow resurrect this great app?

Richard Beyer

Reaction score
After some debugging, it appears that Google has modified the order of the form field parameters, so the regex lines need to be changed. To fix it, open the file "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/googlevoice/voice.py" in your favorite text editor and change the lines starting at or around line 73 to:

Code:
    galx = re.search(r"type=\"hidden\" name=\"GALX\" value=\"(.+)\"", content).group(1)
    service = re.search(r"type=\"hidden\" name=\"service\" value=\"(.+)\"", content).group(1)
    utf8 = re.search(r"type=\"hidden\" id=\"_utf8\" name=\"_utf8\" value=\"(.+)\"", content).group(1)
    bgresponse = re.search(r"type=\"hidden\" name=\"bgresponse\" id=\"bgresponse\" value=\"(.+)\"", content).group(1)

Remember to keep the line indentation EXACTLY as it is---python code is position sensitive!

Last edited by a moderator:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Worked like a champ. Thanks, @Richard Beyer. We'll push it out ASAP.

For Incredible PBX users, the file to edit is /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/voice.py AND each line needs to begin with a TAB.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here's the Incredible PBX patch. Log into your server as root and issue the following commands:
Code:
cd /
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/gvoice-patch.tar.gz
tar zxvf gvoice-patch.tar.gz
rm -f gvoice-patch.tar.gz

If this patch doesn't work, try the one two doors down.

Last edited:

Thomas Lageotakes

Reaction score
I tried the update and I still get the following error. I made sure the updated file was there as I saw the holy hackjob comment.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/sbin/gvoice", line 79, in <module>
login()
File "/usr/local/sbin/gvoice", line 49, in login
voice.login(options.email,options.passwd)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/googlevoice/voice.py", line 71, in login
galx = re.search(r"name=\"GALX\" type=\"hidden\"\n *value=\"(.+)\"", content).group(1)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'

While I tried both, should I use my gmail password or the token I created that I use with my google sip?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@Thomas Lageotakes Try this using your plain text Gmail password:
Code:
cd /root
rm -rf pygooglevoice
yum -y install python-setuptools python-simplejson
easy_install -U setuptools
easy_install simplejson
yum -y install mercurial gcc-c++ python-devel unzip python-pip python-pbr python-virtualenv
git clone https://github.com/wardmundy/pygooglevoice
cd pygooglevoice
python setup.py install
cp /root/pygooglevoice/bin/gvoice /usr/bin/.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.