SOLVED SMS with Google Voice WORKING (sometimes for some people)

chris_c_

Reaction score
Yes, what "DisplayUnlockCaptcha" does is, for the NEXT login from a previously unknown device (identified by its MAC address and/or IP address), GV whitelists THAT IP address and/or MAC address, and allows the login to get in.
Most likely MAC address, although I haven't tested it, because mobile devices are constantly changing IP address as you roam around tto different cell towers and wifi hotspots, and keep the same MAC address.

Joe Lones

Reaction score
SMS down once more with gvoice? I'm getting:

Code:
Login failed. Retry?[Y/n] n

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here's the full explanation from an upcoming Nerd Vittles article:
Incredible PBX implementations include a separate Python-based component called pygooglevoice that allows SMS messaging using a Google Voice account. You’ll find the SMS Dictator and SMS message blasting scripts in the /root folder of your server. Be advised that the gvoice script used to send these SMS messages does NOT use OAuth 2 authentication and requires your traditional Google Voice account name and password. Because it uses plain text, you probably will experience failures using gvoice unless your PBX is housed on the same server from which you traditionally access this account. The workaround is to do the following immediately before attempting to use SMS messaging with Google Voice. Using a browser, log into the Gmail account that corresponds to the account you plan to use for SMS messaging. In a separate tab of your browser while still logged into Gmail, go to the following link and enable Less Secure Apps for this account. In a third tab, go to the following link and activate the Google Reset Procedure. Now, from the Linux CLI on your PBX, attempt to login to gvoice using your Gmail account name including @gmail.com AND your plain-text Gmail password. If it succeeds, you’re good to go and can now use the SMS messaging tools. Type quit to exit from gvoice. Google normally follows up insecure access attempts with an email requesting that you confirm this is a "safe IP address" for your account. If you fail to respond to that email, you probably will need to repeat this exercise every time you attempt to use SMS messaging.

Joe Lones

Reaction score
@wardmundy I'm getting "Login Failed." again, is it just me or something wrong here? I did the reset...

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@wardmundy I'm getting "Login Failed." again, is it just me or something wrong here? I did the reset...

Did you follow the two troubleshooting tips from the link above? gvoice uses plain text passwords. If you want to use it, you're going to have to (regularly) activate the Google Reset Procedure.

Joe Lones

Reaction score
@wardmundy
I don't understand, I constantly get the Login failed message after a couple of days now, which was never the case before, despite how many times I do the Unlock Captcha step.

Normally, I do the unlock captcha step then wait for a day and it works but soon after I can no longer login.

Just to clarify, I attempt to send a sms via the Raspberry Pi on the command line and use another machine with a browser to complete the unlock captcha step, both of which are behind my router and go out via the same public IP address (ie. no vpns and such). When I complete the captcha step, gvoice still produces the Login failed message, not sure if this is the expect outcome, should it work immediately afterward?

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
HINT: Google breaks sh*t regularly for no reason. Move on to SMS with Vitelity or VoIP.ms. Both work great. Tutorial here.

Joe Lones

Reaction score
@wardmundy
seems like it's broken again, getting a:

Code:
urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 400: Bad Request

I know you posted a guide with Vitelity or VoIP.ms, but does this guide use a gmail account or you need to pay for a new DID?

I'm on a relatively old version of IncrediblPBX (13-12.5) and asterisk 13.7.2

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
All SMS messaging requires a DID for tracking. Vitelity, VoIP.ms, and Skyetel (and others) offer easy-to-use SMS messaging with Asterisk. Kiss Google goodbye.

Joe Lones

Reaction score
All SMS messaging requires a DID for tracking. Vitelity, VoIP.ms, and Skyetel (and others) offer easy-to-use SMS messaging with Asterisk. Kiss Google goodbye.
I simply need a command line tool to send sms's. So what you're saying is that I would no longer be able to use my Google Voice account at this point?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Using Google Voice reliably for SMS messaging now range between slim and none. For all intents and purposes, Google Voice is dead on the Asterisk platform.

Joe Lones

Reaction score
Using Google Voice reliably for SMS messaging now range between slim and none. For all intents and purposes, Google Voice is dead on the Asterisk platform.

Ok. If I sign up for a DID with VOIP.ms for only out going SMS, what command line script to you suggest for sending, bash or PHP?

Joe Lones

Reaction score
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.