SOLVED SMS with Google Voice WORKING (sometimes for some people)

steve54301

Guru
Reaction score
I tried a git clone from github.com/wardmundy/pygooglevoice and that didn't fix it so I am looking for pointers. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
UPDATED: June 21, 2017...

New versions of all the Incredible PBX installers have been uploaded to incrediblepbx.com and SourceForge. Thanks, @kb9mwr.

To patch existing servers:

Code:
cd /root
rm -rf pygooglevoice
git clone https://github.com/wardmundy/pygooglevoice.git
cd pygooglevoice
python setup.py install
cp -p bin/gvoice /usr/bin/.
easy_install -U BeautifulSoup

Confirmed: smsblast from SMS Dictator working again as advertised. Tutorial available here.

Last edited:

qtlnx

Reaction score
Just tried after updating existing server installed a couple of weeks ago and got an error trying mentioned in top message send_sms command with my credentials:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/gvoice", line 129, in <module>
getattr(voice,action)(*args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/voice.py", line 150, in send_sms
self.__validate_special_page('sms', {'phoneNumber': phoneNumber, 'text': text})
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/voice.py", line 220, in __validate_special_page
load_and_validate(self.__do_special_page(page, data))
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/util.py", line 65, in load_and_validate
validate_response(loads(response.read()))
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/googlevoice/util.py", line 59, in validate_response
raise ValidationError('There was a problem with GV: %s' % response)
googlevoice.util.ValidationError: There was a problem with GV: {u'data': {u'code': 20}, u'ok': False}
Logging out of voice...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
There are a number of prerequisites for this to work if you're not using Incredible PBX. See the latest Incredible PBX installer for details.

qtlnx

Reaction score
Have you seen my statement that "Google Voice trunk works fine"? The same credentials.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Your trunk could be using OAuth which isn't available with Python app. Can't read minds. Sorry. Maybe you should get help elsewhere.

qtlnx

Reaction score
I apologize, I neglected to mention that trunk does not use OAuth. However I at least expected a pointer to a documentation. Of course I can "let me google this for me" but I don't need this functionality right now and only stepped forward in a role of QA to verify your update instructions.

steve54301

Guru
Reaction score
Well that "fix" didn't last very long for me, as now I am getting "Login Failed" messages. Damn google! Is there some other way to get this to work more consistently, like with Oauth? Or is sms with google pretty much dead?

Update: Works on a Raspberry Pi running the latest Debian Jessie or CentOS 7. Doesn't work with Debian Wheezy, or CentOS 6.8.

Last edited:

Joe Lones

Reaction score
gvoice stopped working for me as well on my pi running jessie. getting:

Code:
Login failed. Retry?[Y/n]

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We've built a new install script for the Raspberry Pi platform with the latest fixes. Tutorial here.

The Incredible PBX 13 installers for CentOS/SL and Ubuntu have also been updated.

Last edited:

chris_c_

Reaction score
It appears this python google voice "SMS Dictator" feature doesn't (yet) support OAUTH2 login to GVoice. That means you have to enable "less secure apps" and use your cleartext password. This is less than ideal.
When you don't enable "less secure apps" and try to login with your cleartext password, google treats this as a potential hack and sends you alerts on your recovery phone and recovery email to possible stolen account password!
I've asked the maintainers about adding a pre-made OAUTH2 python module to support more secure logins.
Until OAUTH2 comes to this python google voice feature, beware of saving your gvoice password on the pbx server, make sure your recovery email and phone are up to date.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Well my friend, this is surely an argument against a scripted UC as you propose in other threads, are YOU going to monitor and modify on what could be a daily basis an interface that is both proprietary and probably not within their TOS to use anyway, or do you expect someone else to, that's why if at best it is an add-on and IMHO will eventually just go away, it's not worth many hours of time and effort to save at most few cents, no? But if you insist I believe @billsimon has a relative cheap gateway and he's cleverer than most around here.

Last edited:

chris_c_

Reaction score
@dicko Thanks for the comment. GV seems to be working fine now for calls, thru the secure OAUTH2 login provided by GV. SMS messages should be working on OAUTH2 soon. We'll see what the future brings. The GV Terms of Service are reasonable, as long as you don't use it mass robo-sms, robo-calling, spam, or transmitting privacy protected sensitive personal information such as social security numbers, etc.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Not sure where you get your information. What is your source for the statement: "SMS messages should be working on OAUTH2 soon." That's news to me. By the way, Google already has controls on the number of SMS messages which can be sent. So it's never going to be a spammer's tool of choice.

chris_c_

Reaction score
OK. Was referring to the GV TOS the part where the user agree not to send out large numbers of unsolicited texts or calls.

For the GV SMS OAUTH2, stay tuned

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.