TIPS Small problem with incredible backup and restore related to port knock.

Aaron Outhier

Santa's helper (subordinate Claus)
Reaction score
Having used the IncredibleBackup and IncredibleRestore functions a few times on my Raspberry Pi, I have encountered a minor issue. I was able to work around it, since I am familiar enough with Linux command line, etc.

The problem stems from the file ~/knock.FAQ being backed up, but not the /etc/knockd.conf file. So that when I restore my backup, the actual ports used get changed, but the instructions say that they haven't.

I would suggest adding /etc/knockd.conf to the backups in future versions.

Milton Alvis

Reaction score
Thanks, @Aaron Outhier: Already pushed out as update9R9 in Automatic Update Utility.

To what path on a local network path can Raspberry PI 3B+ 13.13.10 be directed?

I have rebuilt the Raspberry 13.13.10 install on my Raspberry PI 3B+ and want to create a backup of the configuration before creating extensions and trunks give previous problems with the SIP provider apparently corruption the installation.

Logging into the IncrediblePBX GUI and choosing the "Admin"\"Backup and Restore" tab, I am not understanding how to configure backups to save to another storage location on the local network.

Suggestions?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
To what path on a local network path can Raspberry PI 3B+ 13.13.10 be directed?

I have rebuilt the Raspberry 13.13.10 install on my Raspberry PI 3B+ and want to create a backup of the configuration before creating extensions and trunks give previous problems with the SIP provider apparently corruption the installation.

Logging into the IncrediblePBX GUI and choosing the "Admin"\"Backup and Restore" tab, I am not understanding how to configure backups to save to another storage location on the local network.

Suggestions?

This is a different backup utility than Incredible Backup in /root. You might want to open a new thread if you prefer the FreePBX version.

Milton Alvis

Reaction score
I am working on learning some Linux commands.

Ward, Can you offer suggestions and command line code on how to back up and restore to the *.tar backup file to/from windows PC, which is what I am routinely running.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You need two pieces for reliable (full) backups and restores: (1) a tool to backup the bootable SD card to an .img file and (2) a tool to restore the .img file to an sd card that can be booted.

For #1, with Windows, go here. dd is a much better option using a Mac or Linux desktop.

Tips from LifeHacker:
  1. Get everything set up just the way you want it on your Raspberry Pi, whatever you're using it for. Then shut down the Pi and remove the SD card. Insert the SD card into your computer.
  2. Start up Win32DiskImager, a program that you probably have from when you first set up your Pi. (If you're on OS X or Linux, you'll have to use the dd command as described here instead of these steps).
  3. In the "Image File" box, enter the path of your soon-to-be image file. For example, I put mine in C:\Users\Whitson\images\myraspbmc.img
  4. Under the "Device" box, select your SD card.
  5. Click the "Read" button to create the image file from your card.
  6. When it's done creating the image file, you can eject your SD card and put it back in your Raspberry Pi. Keep that IMG file in a safe place.

For #2, there is nothing quite like https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Always, always make a second SD card from your .img backup and be sure it boots.

Last edited:

Milton Alvis

Reaction score
Ward, Thank you!

These are more straight forward workaround suggestions than what I was attempting to create.

I will work on implementing and checking success this weekend and early next; need to get out VoIP system up and running but did not want to go further without backing up the basic configured installation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.