QUESTION SIP NAT

rogerjbos

Reaction score
My softphone works fine when using an IAX2 extension, but when I use a SIP (or PJSIP) extension the phone does not ring when called. I am pretty sure this is to the NAT problems (I see Unknown@... showing up in the log files). At home I can open up some more UDP ports to try to get it to work, but what if I am on a public WiFi network, I can't open up any ports there. Is SIP doomed in such cases, or is there something I can still do to make it work? How come SIP is so popular and you hardly ever hear about IAX2, yet it works so well?

BTW, I am using IncrediblePBX 13-13 with a Zoiper softphone.

PBXOK

Reaction score
My softphone works fine when using an IAX2 extension, but when I use a SIP (or PJSIP) extension the phone does not ring when called. I am pretty sure this is to the NAT problems (I see Unknown@... showing up in the log files). At home I can open up some more UDP ports to try to get it to work, but what if I am on a public WiFi network, I can't open up any ports there. Is SIP doomed in such cases, or is there something I can still do to make it work? How come SIP is so popular and you hardly ever hear about IAX2, yet it works so well?

BTW, I am using IncrediblePBX 13-13 with a Zoiper softphone.
Did you make sure that in PBX for the Zoiper Extension # under Applications > Extensions > Advanced > Edit Extension > NAT Mode = Yes?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
IAX2 is the best way to deal with complex NAT situations you may not be able to control. It has some limitations (number of calls per port etc and some token related security headaches and is asterisk only; ie not used by other SIP standards based PBX's) but ya, basically all my staff / clients who use softphones out in the wild use IAX2.

rogerjbos

Reaction score
Did you make sure that in PBX for the Zoiper Extension # under Applications > Extensions > Advanced > Edit Extension > NAT Mode = Yes?

D'oh. I knew about that, but didn't have that set up on this line. That fixed the problem. Amazing how well that worked. Thanks.

Sajid

Reaction score
Configure GVSIP and both inbound and outbound all works fine. The one issue i encounter frequently is when I run "pjsip show endpoints". GVSIP evert 10 mins or 5 mins very random is unavailable and then registers itself. This leads to channel unavailable when dialing out. Once endpoints is registered everything works fine. BTW when this is unavailable surprising inbound calls to the GV works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.