TUTORIAL Setting Up Google Voice Accounts

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

In the never ending Google Voice saga, we have good news again today. We've discovered a new way to obtain one or more Google Voice numbers from our friends at Google. If you didn't already know, Google has tightened up the procedure for obtaining a Google Voice number. It's virtually impossible to obtain multiple Google Voice numbers from the same PC or the same IP address now.

But there's an undocumented workaround assuming you have an iPhone or Android phone.

1. Create a new Gmail account using your PC in the traditional way.

2. Go to the App Store or Play Store and install the Google Voice app on your smartphone.

3. Open the Google Voice app and login using the Gmail credentials you obtained above.

4. Choose a phone number when prompted and verify using SMS to your smartphone or some other number.

5. Once the number is set up, close the Google Voice app. Do NOT make any calls.

6. Return to your PC and login to http://google.com/voice with your new Gmail credentials.

7. When presented with the new Google Voice interface, click on the three dots in the left sidebar (labeled More).

8. Click on Legacy Google Voice option in the sidebar to open the traditional Google Voice interface.

9. Click the Gear icon (upper right) and choose Settings.

10. Disable your forwarding number and be sure Google Chat is selected.

11. In the Calls tab, make the selections look like this:
  • Call ScreeningOFF
  • Call PresentationOFF
  • Caller ID (In)Display Caller’s Number
  • Caller ID (Out)Don’t Change Anything
  • Do Not DisturbOFF
  • Call Options (Enable Recording)OFF
  • Global Spam FilteringON
12. In the Voicemail tab, enter your email address to get notified of new voicemails.

13. Click Save Settings.

14. If you will be using Plain Text passwords with Google Voice on your PBX, perform the following two steps immediately before setting up your Google Voice trunk: (1) Enable Less Secure Apps and (2) Initiate the Google Reset Procedure. Now proceed with creating your new Google Voice trunk using the FreePBX/Issabel GUI.

15. If you will be using OAuth 2 authentication for your new Google Voice trunk, proceed with the Nerd Vittles tutorial following the steps to obtain your OAuth Refresh Token.

Last edited:

shetu

Reaction score
Hello
I did not find Call PresentationOFF.
Here is my screen shot
calls tab.jpg

calls%20tab.jpg

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Not to worry. Google is always improving things.

hawk#1

Reaction score
I just used a different method last night to get a couple new numbers. I just used a vpn that offers multiple vpn locations in the US. Use one location and got the first number and got it all set up and verified. Then rebooted my system and changed the vpn to a different location. Went to google and got my second number set up and verified. Hope this may help others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voiplads
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.