TIPS Send Calls to ring group, then if no answer cellphone

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to have my incoming calls go to a ring group, and then if none of the phones in the ring group answer the call i would like it to send the call to a cellphone. What is the best way to accomplish this?

The Calls are coming in over the pstn through a Sangoma b600de.

Thanks
Jarrod1024

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Ok thanks, is there a way to specify which trunk to use when the system calls the cellphone too?

Cam__

Reaction score
Rather than using a custom extension, I would think you could make a Misc. Destination with the number you want to call, and go to that instead. That should use the same trunk selection as if you had just called the number from whatever extension you are using.

Or if you want to use a specific trunk, prefix the Misc. Destination number with some code that no one would ever dial, for example ***1, so instead of 1234445566 you'd use ***11234445566 as the target of the Misc. Destination. Then create an Outbound Route with the dial pattern ***1|1234445566, which would strip off the ***1 and send the rest of the number to the trunk, and select the trunk(s) you wish to use from the dropdowns. There may be other ways to do it, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

leemason

Guru
Reaction score
I would also go for a Misc. Destination instead. Or you could create a "dummy" ring group and specify the mobile as the only entry (follow the mobile number with a # as it's an external number). This will also allow you to do some nice stuff with announcements to the caller that their call is being transferred and remote confirmation so that the mobile user has to press 1 to accept the call (this stops the call just dropping through to the mobile answer phone so allowing you to handle the call still within the PIAF system if there is no answer on the mobile).

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Ive tried the Misc destination at home but it doesn't pass the inbound caller-id, is there any way to get it to do that?

jarrod1024

Reaction score
I tried it with voip.ms before and it didnt work, i will try it again though.

Edit: I also forgot to mention i will also need to be able to transfer calls to these cellphones from the office phones manually quite frequently, Would a custom extension be the best thing to do for that? and will the cellphone user be able to transfer the call back in by pressing ## twice?

jarrod1024

Reaction score
I tried the ring group with the no answer destination set to the cellphone custom extension but instead of transferring to the cellphone the office phones stop ringing for approximately 10 seconds, then they start ringing again but this time with no caller-id info.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
ive tried the dummy ring group, and the custom extension but the phones still stop ringing for 10 seconds then ring again with no caller-id and the call does not get sent to the cellphone. Could this be an outbound route or trunk issue?

Im also a little confused how to format the dial pattern for the for the outbound route for the Misc Destination with this new dial pattern interface.

Reaction score
ive tried the dummy ring group, and the custom extension but the phones still stop ringing for 10 seconds then ring again with no caller-id and the call does not get sent to the cellphone. Could this be an outbound route or trunk issue?

Im also a little confused how to format the dial pattern for the for the outbound route for the Misc Destination with this new dial pattern interface.

The custom extension is by far the easiest way to go about this. It would also be helpful if you want to transfer an incoming call to a cell phone as you can just remember the extension number for transfer (and likely set a key on your phone to do a blind transfer).

As Igaetz mentioned, we need to see some logs of what happens when a call is supposed to transfer but it doesn't. It could be as simple as something wrong with the dial pattern in your extension or a problem with your outbound routes. Without seeing logs, anybody trying to help is pretty much just making an educated guess.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
ok, i have the logs from the call, I can post the whole log but it is quite long so i noticed this part and thought it might point to the problem:

[2013-05-31 10:45:47] NOTICE[30577] app_directed_pickup.c: No target channel found for 253(Cellphone-Number).[2013-05-31 10:45:47] NOTICE[30577] app_directed_pickup.c: No target channel found for 253(Cellphone-number).

jarrod1024

Reaction score
ok, i removed the ** and got the misc destination and outbound route thing working, still need a way to tranfer calls to the cellphone manually though.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
I created Misc application and i believe it will work but apparently the voip.ms server im using right now is down.

Is it possible to do everything i want to do with a custom extension though? I just prefer the cleaner setup.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Well the misc application method seems to be working perfectly now, the custom extension method works when i directly dial it but i get a busy tone when transfering a call to it.

thefuzz4

Reaction score
With my house phone. I set up the ring group with an IVR. So if no one answers after the ring group times out. It goes to an IVR with 3 options. 1 to call my cell. 2 to call the wifes cell and 3 is to go to Voice Mail. I setup the cellphones as extensions and added follow me rules to them and just put the phone number in there. Since I'm using GVoice as my main trunks I can't pass the CID information so when it rings my cell it just looks like the house phone is calling me. Works really well. I also like it since I have recording rules in place because the call is still recorded as well.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Since i set this up ive noticed one issue with ring groups, i understand why this is happening but im just wondering if there is a way to fix it.

When a call comes into the system and is answered by one phone in the ring group the rest of the phones show a missed call.

Im using 2 Cisco Spa-303s as well as a cordless phone connected to the FXS port, I would imagine theres no way to fix the issue on the cordless phone but that doesnt bother me, is there a way to fix it for the Ciscos? preferably without disabling the missed call notifications alltogether.

jarrod1024

Reaction score
Is it Possible to transfer a call back in by pressing ## on the cellphone when using the misc destination setup?

rjaiswal

Reaction score
Is it Possible to transfer a call back in by pressing ## on the cellphone when using the misc destination setup?

Under general settings, if you set the asterisk outbound dial command options to "T", you should be able to hit ## to transfer the call. It might be "t"... If it doesn't work. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head.

krakastan

Guru
Reaction score
voip info gives:-

T: Allow the calling user to transfer the call by hitting the blind xfer keys (features.conf). Does not affect transfers initiated through other methods.
t: Allow the called user to transfer the call by hitting the blind xfer keys (features.conf) Does not affect transfers initiated through other methods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.