SOLVED Sangoma Key Saga

Johann

Reaction score
Anybody seen this yet?
Sangoma will revoke their signature on Clearly IP’s module signing key, which will probably result in Clearly IP's Freepbx modules no longer working by the morning of February 10, 2020.

xrobau

Guru
Reaction score
I logged in here to post that I'd responded to Jared's accusations, and discovered a message from 5 years ago.

Well. I gotta say I'm impressed in the foresight here. Link goes to http://nerdvittles.com/?p=14225

Edit: Although, it's not really relevant, because I'm just rebuilding framework with Line 46 changed, so we use our own master key.

Eliad

Reaction score
Do I understand correctly, IncrediblePBX will not be affected because it has already module signature disabled?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you're using Incredible PBX 2020, an emergency update was pushed out through the Automatic Update Utility this morning. So all you need to do is log into your Incredible PBX 2020 server as root before Monday to update everything.

If you're using Incredible PBX 13-13 or 16-15, these versions do not (yet) include the Clearly IP and IncrediblePBX modules for FreePBX so they should not be affected by Sangoma's actions. Before Monday, we hope to have 16-15 systems transitioned to the new 2020 platform with the ClearlyIP module repository as well.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with this type of issue in many years and I'm obviously not in a position to give Sangoma legal advice. Having said that, suffice it to say when any organization or individual intentionally damages computer systems of persons or companies using properly licensed software, both the responsible company AND the individuals carrying out the actions are wading into potentially serious legal trouble, both civil and criminal. This is especially true when Sangoma already has announced an awareness that their actions will adversely affect ClearlyIP modules including Trunking which would mean that employees on affected PBXs could no longer make calls including 911 emergency calls. Simply stated, one has to wonder if Sangoma truly appreciates the legal exposure they may face by carrying out the threatened GPG key revocation this coming Monday. Time will tell, I suppose.

Eliad

Reaction score
I haven't dealt with this type of issue in many years and I'm obviously not in a position to give Sangoma legal advice. Having said that, suffice it to say when any organization or individual intentionally damages computer systems of persons or companies using properly licensed software, both the responsible company AND the individuals carrying out the actions are wading into potentially serious legal trouble, both civil and criminal. This is especially true when Sangoma already has announced an awareness that their actions will adversely affect ClearlyIP modules including Trunking which would mean that employees on affected PBXs could no longer make calls including 911 emergency calls. Simply stated, one has to wonder if Sangoma truly appreciates the legal exposure they may face by carrying out the threatened GPG key revocation this coming Monday. Time will tell, I suppose.
Thank you Ward for you hard work.
I must say, Sangoma issued an extremely short notice. I do have a couple of iPBX2020 small servers(less than 10 extensions) and would be extremely bad to have them going out since they are in small independent medical offices. I am glad i logged in the Forum today and Ward has already taken care of the issue.

markieb

Reaction score
TBH, it's still my test server to familiarise myself with all the new bits and pieces before doing the BIG cut and paste migration from my old IPBX system......

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
New RasPi 2020.3 image is now available on SourceForge with all the patches preloaded.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Perhaps coincidentally, there was a DDoS attack against our servers between noon and 2 p.m. today. Our provider already has blocked over 10K IPs on their firewall.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Please consider this a belated THANK YOU to the entire ClearlyIP team for working all weekend to put Humpty back together again. Many of them haven't had much sleep in the last 48 hours.

In coming days, we hope to announce a solution for FreePBX Distro users that rely upon the original FreePBX GPG key.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.