NEWS FLASH Sangoma Acquires Digium

Discussion in 'Today's Tech News & Events' started by wardmundy, Aug 24, 2018.

1. KUMARULLAL

KUMARULLAL Guru

What happens for Wazo? You think they are under any threat of shutting down shops?

2. wardmundy

wardmundy Nerd Uno

¿quién sabe?

3. TirsoJRP

TirsoJRP Member

My Pi wants...

wardmundy likes this.
  4. billsimon

billsimon Experienced in Asterisk, FreePBX, and SIP

wardmundy likes this.
  5. Guillermo Peña

Guillermo Peña New Member

You might not be really paranoid. The users should be worried. But 3CX worried?

I don't Really think that 3CX is actually worried. au contraire.

I'm gonna *adjust my tinfoil hat* and say that this might be part of the plan of 3CX future and I'm gonna quote myself from the elastix-gate two years ago
    And I will emphasize

Is 3CX aiming to become the Microsoft of unified communications?

I'm not into conspiranoic stuff but is hard to not connect the dots if whom is supposed your competitor's CEO buys big bunches of your stocks in a time when you are the only real competitor?

I do not know anything about legal stuff, and neither about big corp money and merges and subsidiaries and holdings, but I know that if it barks, wags the tail, and looks like a dog, it probably is a dog.

And I keep saying

[​IMG]

[EDIT 9/9/18]

Nick Galea CHANGED MY MIND!

#25 Guillermo Peña, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  6. krzykat

krzykat Guru

Wow ... @Guillermo Peña - some pretty good insight. Especially the stock purchase comments. Guess its time to start boning up on FreeSwitch (does the Free stand for open source no cost ... or freedom?)

7. wardmundy

wardmundy Nerd Uno

FYI: Nick has sold his stake in Sangoma.

8. Guillermo Peña

Guillermo Peña New Member

Free as in freedom, licensed under MPL.

In 2017 according to this
    Sold 1,109,500 common shares ("Common Shares") of Sangoma Technologies Corporation from already owned
    5,658,500 left with

And in 2018 according to this
    Sold 1,276,300 from
    4,549,000 left with

It is not a lot of stake and may have not any representation.
    But nothing voids him as a person or as a 3CX affiliate to acquire more shares and get the whole enchilada
    It's a free market and if he's willing and able to pay for it and Sangoma is willing and able to sell it's a very posible scenario.
    The questions are
    could? yes, has the money to do it.
    would? I can't read his mind but seems very probable
    should? It's his and sangoma's money but we have seen the "improvement" to elastix and the impact to the community.

I definitely would not put all my eggs on the asterisk/freepbx basket and also start tinkering with freeswitch, yate and whatever. But as Ward said If i were a Digium Employee I would definitely start polishing my resumee because I don't think grass will become greener for the Digium Pals

wardmundy likes this.
  9. wardmundy

wardmundy Nerd Uno

The FreeSWITCH folks apparently toyed with holding back the latest release for paying customers until the next release arrived at which time they would release the prior version under MPL 1.1. The backlash was pretty severe, and they've apparently backed off at least for now. Problem with all these projects is that people like to eat.

10. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Member

@Guillermo Peña Thats a very funny picture :) @wardmundy is right. As 3CX CEO let me say that we do not have any plans to take over Sangoma and we no longer own a significant share in Sangoma. The moment we do and start to acquire more than 10% of the outstanding shares we would have to report this according to Canadian securities law.

For what it is worth I think Digium and Sangoma merger is a good thing for both the freepbx and asterisk community....

wardmundy likes this.
  11. Ameril7345

Ameril7345 New Member

Wardmundy was right. My spouse worked at Digium and was recently laid off (during the holidays, thanks Digium/Sangoma!). I happened to find this thread doing a general search to see if the layoff has been covered anywhere. According to people we know who are still there, the layoff was massive. If I worked there I would be looking for another job immediately. Maybe Sangoma will wait and lay off the reamining employees next Christmas.

#31 Ameril7345, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Johann likes this.
  12. wardmundy

wardmundy Nerd Uno

13. krzykat

krzykat Guru

Yes, sorry to hear about that, and the timing sucks. At least the economy is strong, so hopefully a rebound job making more money is right around the corner.

14. wardmundy

wardmundy Nerd Uno

15. kdthomas

kdthomas Member

"Google finally pulled the plug on free calling through your PBX" - Still going strong for me and many others.

16. rgnissen

rgnissen New Member

@Ameril7345 Wow...deja vu. I was laid off myself from Digium nearly 10 years ago - was just thinking about using asterisk this morning and looking through the state of things when I came across this thread. It always sucks to lose your job (I consider the day Digium let me go to be one of the worse days of my life to date), but take heart - there is life after Digium. While it sucked at the time, looking back at the past decade I can now say it was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I really do hope you land on your feet.

wardmundy likes this.