NEWS FLASH Robocall Update from FTC

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
They could probably stop this tomorrow if they wanted to. Just require customers to verify ownership of the numbers before they can use it as their CID. It's already quite common for lots of services to automatically verify your phone number.

I suspect the Telcos are not that interested in a quick solution because they make too much money from telemarketers.

Last edited:

dallas

Reaction score
They could probably stop this tomorrow if they wanted to. Just require customers to verify ownership of the numbers before they can use it as their CID. It's already quite common for lots of services to automatically verify your phone number.

I suspect the Telcos are not that interested in a quick solution because they make too much money from telemarketers.
Or just make it illegal to use a CID you don't own (as it is in some parts of the world). Although the Telcos would also need to be forced to block the illegal CIDs.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Or just make it illegal to use a CID you don't own (as it is in some parts of the world). Although the Telcos would also need to be forced to block the illegal CIDs.

Then I couldn't have fun with my family and change my CID to show the WhiteHouse is calling - LOL

kenn10

Reaction score

The other issue that would need to be worked out is for follow-me service. The telco provider would need to know that the outbound call to your cell phone comes from a registered line on your account and then allow the caller's CID to forward to your cell phone. I don't think there will be easy answers.

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
There are ways to manage the call-forwarding problems. Possibly some allowed ratio of total outbound calls to those with unidentified CIDs. If more than 5/10/whatever% of your calls are not from a "registered" CID, then it gets warned/blocked/flagged/etc.

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
What the telemarketers are doing right now is already illegal. That certainly hasn't stopped them. They are all overseas from what I understand and there is no easy way to enforce US laws in the countries they are in.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
What the telemarketers are doing right now is already illegal. That certainly hasn't stopped them. They are all overseas from what I understand and there is no easy way to enforce US laws in the Y they are in.

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Not quite, the onus is pushed on-shore to the carriers, particularly your dids , kinda like voips would be to https , not too hard for a good vps to do, very hard for 'you' as a source of unsolicited calls to do pushing calls through the pstn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.