GOOD NEWS RingPlus Migration: 3CX magic

Hometech

Reaction score
Just got this. I wonder if this has any thing to do with Vitelity vMoble? Any ways looks like Ringplus may be forced to shutdown

IMPORTANT NOTICE

ABOUT YOUR SERVICE

Dear Members,

As many of you know, RingPlus operates on the Sprint network.

SPRINT HAS NOTIFIED RINGPLUS THAT IT PLANS TO STOP ALL SERVICES TO RINGPLUS AND ITS SUBSCRIBERS ON FEBRUARY 11, 2017 AT 5:00 PM CENTRAL DAYLIGHT TIME.

RingPlus has an open line of communication with Sprint regarding this issue. RingPlus has requested that Sprint give us all 30 days before service is turned off to allow you more time to find another wireless provider.

If Sprint does not agree, RingPlus will file a motion with the court for an injunction to prevent Sprint from stopping service on February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm Central Daylight Time.

As many of you know, RingPlus has sued Sprint. The lawsuit is public information. You can access public documents through a variety of online sources such as PACER (https://www.pacer.gov/). While it is not RingPlus’ policy to discuss ongoing litigation, we feel you have a right to know.

What this means for you:

As of the time of this Notice, Sprint plans to turn off all service to you and RingPlus on February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm Central Daylight Time. (As noted above, RingPlus is trying to get that to be 30 days.) Your phone service will stop. You will not be able to use your RingPlus services including cellular talk, text or data. If you would like to keep your phone number, you would need to move it to another wireless provider before February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm Central Daylight Time (i.e., port out your number).​

RingPlus will update you about major developments, and provide you links to other wireless providers that would happy to serve you in future.

Best regards,
RingPlus

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Well that was fun. Saved me a fortune on roaming while visiting my southerly neighbours (neighbors). Maybe might get Google Fi now; costs me $50 to roam there and visit about once a month these days, and Google Fi would be $30 and give me 500MB more. I'd really like something that offers a couple hundred minutes and a couple gigs with tethering for about $25.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Looks like RingPlus will be closing in about a week based upon an email we received this morning. It all apparently stems from issues surrounding RingPlus v. Sprint lawsuit. You can download the complaint here.

As many of you know, RingPlus operates on the Sprint network.

SPRINT HAS NOTIFIED RINGPLUS THAT IT PLANS TO STOP ALL SERVICES TO RINGPLUS AND ITS SUBSCRIBERS ON FEBRUARY 11, 2017 AT 5:00 PM CENTRAL DAYLIGHT TIME.

RingPlus has an open line of communication with Sprint regarding this issue. RingPlus has requested that Sprint give us all 30 days before service is turned off to allow you more time to find another wireless provider.

If Sprint does not agree, RingPlus will file a motion with the court for an injunction to prevent Sprint from stopping service on February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm Central Daylight Time.

As many of you know, RingPlus has sued Sprint. The lawsuit is public information. You can access public documents through a variety of online sources such as PACER (https://www.pacer.gov/). While it is not RingPlus’ policy to discuss ongoing litigation, we feel you have a right to know.

What this means for you:

As of the time of this Notice, Sprint plans to turn off all service to you and RingPlus on February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm Central Daylight Time. (As noted above, RingPlus is trying to get that to be 30 days.) Your phone service will stop. You will not be able to use your RingPlus services including cellular talk, text or data. If you would like to keep your phone number, you would need to move it to another wireless provider before February 11, 2017 at 5:00 pmCentral Daylight Time (i.e., port out your number).

RingPlus will update you about major developments, and provide you links to other wireless providers that would happy to serve you in future.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you're porting your number, you only have a week to do it. We recommend Ting, and you can use this link for a $25 billing credit. You basically get a shared pool of minutes, messages, and data for one or more devices. Each device is $6/month and then all the minutes, messages, and data are aggregated each month. Pricing is quite reasonable unless you are a heavy data user.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks like Ting uses the Sprint network. My experience is that unless you live in a metro area Sprint service is terrible. I live about 30 air miles from NY NJ and because of a lack of supplemental towers the service is very spotty.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Looks like Ting uses the Sprint network. My experience is that unless you live in a metro area Sprint service is terrible. I live about 30 air miles from NY NJ and because of a lack of supplemental towers the service is very spotty.

True indeed. Unfortunately, RingPlus only used Sprint so, if you have a Sprint-locked phone, you're pretty much forced to stay with one of the other Spring MVNO's.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Sad to see them go, but what I got compared to what I spent is one of the reasons why it was inevitable that they would go.

I've enjoyed 18+ months of good service (I do live in a metro area) for my initial $6.26 "top-up" and the cost of a used LG Volt ($10 delivered.). My first free plan gave me 250 minutes/500 texts/280 MB. After 2 months I was able to upgrade to a plan that gave me 1000/1000/1000. Since the beginning of December -- after the forced move to a "mad" plan -- I've been getting 500/500/500. All, as it turns out, perfectly fine for my modest cellular needs. And the VoIP aspect was -- for me -- just gravy (flaky gravy at that). Never bought into "Member +"

So: 18+ months of perfectly-fine-for-me-if-occasionally-quirky cell service for $16.26. 90 cents per month. Not worried about porting; I use Google Voice -- calls to that DID are forwarded to the R+ call. heck; I don't even know the number. And as they fold I will reach for my Tracfone VZW Moto X that has been sitting in a drawer all the while. I'll add some credit to that, forward from GV to that device, and be on my way in a minute...

mbellot

Reaction score
If you're porting your number, you only have a week to do it. We recommend Ting, and you can use this link for a $25 billing credit. You basically get a shared pool of minutes, messages, and data for one or more devices. Each device is $3/month and then all the minutes, messages, and data are aggregated each month. Pricing is quite reasonable unless you are a heavy data user.

Devices are $6/month, not $3. I have four phones on Ting and average $50/mo total bill, but data usage is always under 100MB ($3 tier).

If it weren't for the criminals politicians here in Illinois the bill would be closer to $43.

FWIW - Ting also offers GSM (T-Mo network), and you can mix and match devices. I have one GSM and three Sprint devices on my account.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
My bad on the device price. Sorry. I've fixed it.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

RingPlus has reached an agreement in principal with its carrier partner to allow us time to migrate you all to Ting during the next 1-2 weeks (we will let you know the exact dates soon).

Ting is welcoming all RingPlus Members. Ting will honor all Members' current RingPlus Top Up balances with a credit toward Ting service.

Each member will start with a $35 credit, regardless of whether they have any RingPlus Top Up balance!

Those members who have a RingPlus Top Up balance higher than $35 will get the first $35 applied in full. Afterwards, the remaining Top Up balance (over $35) will be disbursed in $5 credit increments each month until the Top Up is exhausted.

After the move to Ting, Members will not have active service until Ting has collected a credit card from the Member and the Member has agreed to Ting’s terms of service online.

We are welcoming Ting moderators to RingPlus Social to comment on this thread. Ting moderators will be identified with a Verified Shield, and the name “Ting” at the end of the username.

Ting will also honor this deal for Members that have already switched to Ting. But please be advised that port outs prior to the migration could be slow.

For ongoing updates on the current and upcoming Ting processes go to ringtoting.com.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
RingPlus Migration: A Better Idea

R.I.P. RingPlus: Don’t Panic, Google Hangouts Is Your Friend

CxN-HLgXgAAnIpw.jpg

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Sooooooo glad that I adopted GV back in '09 (was using Grand Central even before that) and long ago talked everyone into reaching me on my GV number rather than my actual legacy landline DID or cell DID. Going on 7.5 years of NerdVittles-esque mostly-free calling. Some day Google will surely pull the plug. I'll be sad when that day comes, but not having had to pay "The Man" much of anything for the past 7+ years has certainly helped my retirement lifestyle...

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Feb. 11 Update: We have some good news and bad news. First, the bad news. It’s still the Sprint network. And now the good news. RingPlus has alerted users that their Drop Dead Date has been postponed until February 21. The migration to Ting is expected next week, well before the Feb. 21 date. And more good news. Sprint is not one to leave money sitting on the table, and yesterday they announced a new “Unlimited” Plan offering 5 lines with unlimited calls, texts, and data for $90 a month. The pricing is good through the end of March, 2018. This is good for a couple of reasons. First, it will keep you on the Sprint network for a month or two in order to qualify all of your existing phones for unlocking. Second, it’s a great deal despite the fine print explaining that unlimited doesn’t really mean unlimited: “Data deprioritization applies during times of congestion. Reqs ebill and new account.” Don’t think you’re going to save money by moving fewer phones. The first phone is $50/month. The second is $40. And the next three are free. Our best advice is to wait until after your numbers have been ported to Ting which is better equipped to handle porting than RingPlus while the Titanic is sinking.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
For those that need minimal cellular service on an infrequent basis and depend upon WiFi connections primarily for wireless VoIP phone service, we've added a new WiFi HotSpot alternative to the above article. After purchasing the $65 HotSpot (rated by many sources as the best available), the pay-as-you-go 4G service works out to $10 per gigabyte in 4GB increments which are good for up to 60 days. Details at the end of the original article.

C445V9OWQAADkLH.jpg

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score
Ward, during the past month I was able to pick up a reconditioned-but-as-new Novatel MiFi 2 directly from FreedomPop for $19.99. It comes with a pre-installed FreedomPop "Global SIM" (the one that is a max of HSPA+ and that backhauls through the UK). After adding "Freedom Friends" and the gifting of data from other accounts, it can provide 1100 MB of usable ATT or TMo cellular data (200 base, + 500 "freedom Friends" + 500 gifted, minus 100 so you don't hit the auto-top-up threshold). And I can drop in the second Global SIM that I got for a penny for another 1 GB+.

I also have the $2 FP LTE SIM. I currently have it in a U.S. Cellular 2nd gen Moto E (2015), Model XT 1526. User GPz1100 on HoFo revealed that this model -- although a CDMA phone -- actually supports nearly any WCDMA or LTE band that you could want, in the US or abroad. I was able to unlock the bootloader, flash retail Canada Android 6.0 firmware (!), and drop in my FP LTE SIM. With a minor config file edit the phone is now a powerful AT&T hotspot (using the native hotspot app).

My next challenge -- that shouldn't be a challenge but seems to be anyway -- is getting the MiFi2 to work reliably with the FP LTE SIM. That should be a piece of cake: It's an ATT device; it's an ATT SIM; but even so they don't seem to want to play nice together. Research continues because that is the obvious play. $20 MiFi2 + a handful of $2 ATT SIMs would appear to be multi-gigabyte hotspotting nirvana...

gotel

Reaction score
Ok my service was transferred over to Ting from Ring+. I had a 50.00 credit from ring+ top up. On Ting.com How do I check to see if the credit was transferred from Ring+ to Ting?

Thanks,
Gotel

mbellot

Reaction score
You can try going to your account, then on the left side click "Billing History".

Mine shows referral credits as "Credit" and the dollar amount, maybe your R+ credit will show up there.

gotel

Reaction score
You can try going to your account, then on the left side click "Billing History".

Mine shows referral credits as "Credit" and the dollar amount, maybe your R+ credit will show up there.

Yes I went to that page and it doesn't show any credits. I am contacting Ting support.

Thanks,
Gotel

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.