TIPS Rhino analog card driver installation

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone recently installed a Rhino analog card on the pbxiaf 13-13 (whole enchilada)?

Time to upgrade my old PBXIAF Dell SC440 (yes! that old).
I have a script from the Rhino site that worked on a test server a couple years ago, compiling the drivers manually since the little install script never worked. Their knowledge base articles are a little old. No response from tech support yet.
http://support.rhinoequipment.com/i...e&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=92&nav=0,2,23,34
I updated some version number references.

I have an analog card R8FXX.
However when I try to copy over the symvers, the file/folder does not appear to exist. I ran Make anyway and only saw some warnings, but it may have complied ok.
I don't see the etc dahdi file where I can add the rhino card module to load on system startup.

Has anyone recently installed a Rhino analog card on the pbxiaf 13-13 (whole enchilada)?

Jake

Reaction score
I've done a Rhino PRI R4T1 Card recently. It worked just fine. I used the same instructions but you're right they are out of date. I'm trying to remember what I had to do differently to get them to work.

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
Here's my script that used to work.
I get stuck at the copy command. the symvers does not exist.
If I run make I get some warnings, but it seems to compile.
Then when I try to add rcbfx to the dahdi/modules file, that file does not exist. I can't seem to find where it preloads the stock digium cards like it used to. :(

Install Rhino Card
export DAHDI_DIR=/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/linux
export Dahdi_VER=2.11.1
cd /usr/src/
wget http://downloads.rhinoequipment.com/Rhino Downloads/Drivers/DAHDI/rhino-linux-current.tbz2
tar -xjvf rhino-linux-current.tbz2
cd rhino-linux-0.99.7
cp /usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/linux/drivers/dahdi/Module.symvers drivers/rhino/
make install
wget -O /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino http://ftp.rhinoequipment.com/Drivers/Extras/modprobe.rhino
**** use winscp to add rcbfx to the /etc/dahdi/modules file
service dahdi restart
dahdi_genconf
dahdi_cfg
enable dahdi config module in freepbx module admin
advanced settings, dahdi configuration module, disable config writes = false

Jake

Reaction score
I'm trying to piece together how I got this working. If I remember correctly, I had to install either the "kernel-devel" or the "asterisk-devel" or both to compile correctly.

Then run: make install DAHDI_DIR="/usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/linux"

I don't recall needing to do the modprobe step

Then just follow the rest.

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Jake.
Gosh, I haven't don't this stuff in a while, a long long while. And I wasn't very good then.
Fortunately, I have everything else installed, configured and working for my new IncredPbx 13-13. pjsip trunks were a little tricky.

I think I'll have to wait on Rhino to call back and ssh in.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
FYI: James over on the FreePBX Forum and now the Sangoma Community Manager used to work for Rhino if you really get stumped.

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Ward.
James simply mentioned that the manual driver installation script was six years old, and not updated in five....
Guess I'll wait a bit and see. Their support used to be really fast. They don't even answer the sales line now - not a good sign.
Any thoughts on Digium cards and support? I think I'd like echo cancellation which openvox doesn't seem to have.

Jake

Reaction score
My experience is once you get the Rhino card to finally work they are solid. I also have a trouble ticket out echo cancellation from about 3 years ago waiting to be resolved. I think I'll be looking like this when I hear back from them. :wheelchair:

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
Nuts.

Yeah, I've been using my Rhino cards on an old Dell sc440 Ward build. Work great. I think initially I had one in an AAH box back in the stone age. Definitely will need a bit of canned air .

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
I found this on the Asterisk forum. Seems like maybe my issue.
Only thing, it's been about 8 years since I did something similar to this.
Maybe a guru could give me a few extra details to implement? I confirmed my dahdi service isn't even running and the config files do not exist.
If I can install an older package, then install 2.11.1 again, I think I'd be back in business!

https://community.asterisk.org/t/dahdi-installing-problem/65983/20

nattynateApr '16
Indeed ‘make config’ is broken in dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1

I was attempting to build dahdi on a fresh install of CentOS 6.7 with no telephony cards. No tricks seemed to create the init scripts for dahdi.

My work-around was similar to the suggestions above. I first installed an older version (dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1). That installed init scripts. After that do a ‘make clean’ in the new dahdi package and then install again ‘make && make install && make config’.

I wanted to verify that there is a problem to hopefully save a few other people the hour I just lost trying to get this to work.

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
I installed the older dahdi and looks good.

Then I installed the current dahdi again and get one error/warning. Dahdi doesn't seem to fully build.
libtonezone.so.2 cannot open

root@IncrediblePBX:~/rhino-linux-0.99.7 $ service dahdi restart
Unloading DAHDI hardware modules: done
Loading DAHDI hardware modules:
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
wct4xxp: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
wcte12xp: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
wct1xxp: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
wcte11xp: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
wctdm24xxp: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
wcfxo: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
wctdm: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
wcb4xxp: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
wctc4xxp: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
xpp_usb: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
rcbfx: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
dahdi_cfg: error while loading shared libraries: libtonezone.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Last edited:

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
I've seen one other post with similar dahdi install issue, so I'm kinda keeping a running log.
I found a reference for Asterisk 12
OPEN SHARED OBJECT FILE: NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY
JUNE 2, 2014 DAN JOURNO 17 COMMENTS
Issue
You install Asterisk 12 successfully but receive the following error when trying to launch asterisk:
asterisk: error while loading shared libraries: libjansson.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Solution
Execute this
echo “/usr/local/lib” > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/usr_local.conf
and
/sbin/ldconfig

So I ran
/sbin/ldconfig
Then reinstalled my Rhino drivers from scratch again - error gone! And I get recognition feedback for my Rhino card. How exciting.

xpp_usb: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
[ OK ]
rcbfx: WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino, it will be ignored in a future release.
DAHDI Tools Version - 2.11.1
DAHDI Version: 2.11.1
Echo Canceller(s):
Configuration
======================
Channel map:
Channel 01: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: mg2) (Slaves: 01)
Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: mg2) (Slaves: 02)
Channel 03: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: mg2) (Slaves: 03)
Channel 04: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Echo Canceler: mg2) (Slaves: 04)
4 channels to configure.
Changing signalling on channel 1 from Unused to FXS Kewlstart
Setting echocan for channel 1 to mg2
Changing signalling on channel 2 from Unused to FXS Kewlstart
Setting echocan for channel 2 to mg2
Changing signalling on channel 3 from Unused to FXS Kewlstart
Setting echocan for channel 3 to mg2
Changing signalling on channel 4 from Unused to FXS Kewlstart
Setting echocan for channel 4 to mg2
[ OK ]
Running dahdi_cfg: [ OK ]
WARNING: Always run Incredible PBX behind a secure hardware-based firewall.
root@IncrediblePBX:/usr/src/rhino-linux-0.99.7 $

So at this point to summarize.
The dahdi 2.11.1 likely has a make config error. Never loads
I installed dahdi 2.6.1
Then installed dahdi 2.11.1
Then echo “/usr/local/lib” > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/usr_local.conf
Then /sbin/ldconfig
Then installed the Rhino drivers manually.
Next step - configure dahdi in the gui and get incoming call to ring.

Last edited:

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
So at this point to summarize for Incredible Pbx 13-13 Whole Enchilada

Do not install freepbx dahdi config module – it crashes
Do set, advanced settings, dahdi configuration module, disable config writes

I installed dahdi 2.6.1
cd /usr/src/
wget https://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/...plete/dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1.tar.gz
cd dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1
make
make install
make config

Then installed dahdi 2.11.1 again
cd /usr/src/
cd dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1
make clean
make
make install
make config

use winscp to add rcbfx to the /etc/dahdi/modules file

Then fix pointer reference with two commands
/sbin/ldconfig

cd

export Dahdi_VER=2.11.1
cd /usr/src/
wget http://downloads.rhinoequipment.com/Rhino Downloads/Drivers/DAHDI/rhino-linux-current.tbz2
cd rhino-linux-0.99.7
cp /usr/src/dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1/linux/drivers/dahdi/Module.symvers drivers/rhino/
make install
wget -O /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.rhino http://ftp.rhinoequipment.com/Drivers/Extras/modprobe.rhino
service dahdi restart
dahdi_genconf
dahdi_cfg
service dahdi restart
***freepbx error etc/dahdi/modules not owned by asterisk
****etc/dahdi/system.conf not owned by asterisk
****/etc/modprobe.d/dahdi/conf not owned by asterisk
fwconsole chown
then change permissions for modprobe.d/dahdi.conf to asterisk in winscp
service dahdi restart

Last edited:

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm. Peeling an onion here.

chan_dahdi.so does not exist.

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
Well there's just something wrong with dahdi in this release
I've fixed, or believed I've fixed, about 4 things so far.
I just can't see how to get the dahdi.so up and going.
I did install freepbx asterisk 14 and my card is configured out of the box working. It's a route I don't want to take, hopefully temporary. I don't need any extras or additional modules.
Guess I could try copying over chan dahdi.so

Last edited:

badwolf

Reaction score
so this works? can you elaborate on "use winscp to add rcbfx to the /etc/dahdi/modules file" ? have card working fine old system and would like to update to use the watson stt
what is needed for
So at this point to summarize for Incredible Pbx 13-13 Whole Enchilada

Do not install freepbx dahdi config module – it crashes
Do set, advanced settings, dahdi configuration module, disable config writes

I installed dahdi 2.6.1
cd /usr/src/
wget https://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/...plete/dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1.tar.gz
cd dahdi-linux-complete-2.6.1+2.6.1
make
make install
make config

Then installed dahdi 2.11.1 again
cd /usr/src/
cd dahdi-linux-complete-2.11.1+2.11.1
make clean
make
make install
make config

use winscp to add rcbfx to the /etc/dahdi/modules file

Then fix pointer reference with two commands
/sbin/ldconfig

cd

export Dahdi_VER=2.11.1
cd /usr/src/
cd rhino-linux-0.99.7
make install
service dahdi restart
dahdi_genconf
dahdi_cfg
service dahdi restart
***freepbx error etc/dahdi/modules not owned by asterisk
****etc/dahdi/system.conf not owned by asterisk
****/etc/modprobe.d/dahdi/conf not owned by asterisk
fwconsole chown
then change permissions for modprobe.d/dahdi.conf to asterisk in winscp
service dahdi restart

dghundt

Guru
Reaction score
In the past, the dahdi modules file, which loads driver hardware, did not automatically load the rhino card. So, I'd use config edit or winscp to add rcbfx to the file if it wasn't there. Ordinarily, you'd see other examples in the file for digium cards.
No, it is not working....
Rhino support stopped responding to me... Back in the day, someone would answer the phone, log on with ssh, and in a few minutes I'd be up and running. Don't think I'll buy Rhino anymore unless there is a change for the better.
So it goes.

badwolf

Reaction score
Thanks, I called them in the past and they set up my system as well. it was pre dhandi

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Ya, James isn't there anymore he works for FPBX now. So it's not the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.