TIPS Reset SIP Trunks after Internet Outage?

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Hi all,

We have SIP trunks through Vitelity connected to a PBX-in-a-Flash server. I'm not sure that the version is germaine, other than to say that it's a fairly recent load. The server itself is probably only a year old.

We're running into a problem when our ISP decides to do maintenance, a backhoe decides to eat the line somewhere along the last mile, a drunk driver decides to have his car make out with a phone pole, or some similar happenstance where we lose internet connectivity for a few hours. When the internet comes back up, all services in our server room come back except for my SIP trunks to Vitelity. If people call the number, they get a busy signal, and I get an email that looks like this:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: {Day}, {Date} {Time}
To: {me}
Subject: Vitelity Failed Call Notification for {DID}

Dear Customer,

A call to your DID {DID} from {CallerID} has failed at {Time} on {Date}. We received 'CHANUNAVAIL' when attempting to route the call to your server or device. This number is configured to route to the peer none.

This error usually means your server or device is not currently registered to our servers. Please make sure you are registered to the correct inbound server for your account as per the configuration samples found on the support page within the user portal and that you have selected the correct routing method for your DID(s) on the DIDs page.

If you are aware of this error and are purposely having calls fail to utilize our failover feature, please disregard this message.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable this feature within the My Account section of the customer user portal.

Sincerely,

Vitelity Communications

[email protected]

The only way to resolve the issue seems to be to reboot the PBX, which disrupts internal communications between offices and creates angry bosses. So, I'd like a better way. Is there a way to monitor the SIP trunk status and the connectivity to inbound[whatever].vitelity.net and kick off a script to just reset the SIP trunks when the connectivity is restored?

I'm fairly bash-script knowledgeable, so I can likely write the above script to check for connectivity. Mostly I just need the command(s) to reset the SIP trunks.

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
Why cant you just run 'amportal restart' instead of restarting the whole box?

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Two reasons:
  1. I think I've tried it before and it didn't reset the SIP trunks (though by all rights you'd think it would). I'd be willing to try again next time it happens.
  2. However, assuming for a minute that it would work, it would also reset all the extensions, kicking people off of internal, inter-office calls. That's what seems to pee in the managers' wheaties.
Thoughts?

dhatz

Reaction score
Have you tried a simple "sip reload" from Asterisk's CLI ?

I have seen this issue before. Which router are you using ?

anomaly0617

Reaction score
No, I haven't. I'll try it out. I'm curious if it will drop inter-office phone calls, though.

Our firewall is running pfSense v2.0.3. And we don't route extension-based SIP traffic outside the network, period. Just FYI. :)

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
A reload won't drop calls.

kenn10

Reaction score
I've had similar issues with both Vitelity and Aretta and an amportal restart won't do it. I don't know if the router would be the cause since rebooting the call server will fix the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.