R.I.P. RentPBX Support ??

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am a very long time RentPBX customer and have never really had an issue with their support. The offering has been beyond stable and solid.

However, it is stuck back in time, and for some reason I can't get an answer on direction with regards to CentOS 7 and 64B OS support. Which means I am stuck on the 13-13
build I have. Since it's now getting time to refresh, I am not sure if I should be shopping for new options or sticking it out with these guys.

Curious as to what others are doing, and if anyone is getting any responses from the RentPBX team.

TIA --

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Just thought I would bump this, as I know there are other RentPBX users here --

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I moved away from RentPBX, because I could manage it better on my own.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
@krzykat

Are yo saying you brought the services back in house on local VM's or you moved to another hosting services where you had bare metal access. ? In house is not an option for me, to much road time..

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@phonebuff: RentPBX is caught in a quandary. Their system design requires 32-bit operating systems, and those are all but dead with the latest Linux releases. I've offered to design current versions of Incredible PBX for them if they'd move to 64-bit support, but I never got a response. Lots of cloud options out there from the cheap solutions (some with snapshots) to Vultr and Digital Ocean with snapshots and automatic backups. Coupons are available at the top of the Nerd Vittles main page.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
@wardmundy

Thank you. It's an interesting quandary. RentPBX has been solid and reliable. An since I am out more then in including trips overseas it has been the correct answer for a long time now. Cheap is not the goal, stable and reliable is.

@all
I am curious what has the community seen in the AWS world as far as stability and cost of a instance with Asterisk running ?

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Vultr with free snapshots is hard to beat for production systems.
Unless you had instances in LA in the last 6 months , I lost several customers due to their broken network and incompetent support. Ask if you want more details.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
Vultr Toronto has been stellar. Yes, all my eggs are in 1 basket and some day I may get burned for it. :)

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I have had downtime in the past few years with both Atlanta and Miami before ... but its been a while and supposedly the Atlanta is more robust.

@dicko I'm asking. What happened? Last time something like that happened to me (Miami flaked with their internet - believe DDOS) - I busted my ass doing restores of backups to a new instance in a different region - and then the pain in the ass of changing FQDN's and carrier routings (I know dsiprouter would make that part so easy), all in all, I was able to migrate with creating a new instance and getting them back up in under an hour. Pure panic mode though for sure.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Okay, looking at Vultr Miami.. Given all the options they have is there a recommendation for the size / space that you all have found works best when moving fro RentPBX ?

While my uptime expectation is five nines, my usage is relatively light.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Unless it's a very busy PBX, 1GB RAM is more than ample with swapfile. For low volume, home server, the 512MB option works fine as well.

KNERD

Reaction score
I run a PBX from my house on a Raspberry Pi 3b+. For any extensions on the outside, I have OpenVPN running on the Raspberry Pi, and the extension will have a OpenVPN client setup on it so they can reach it. Since I am on DHCP, I also have domains with Name Cheap who also has a free Dynamic DNS service which the Pi updates using ddclient. No loud fan noises, and low cost to run.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
@KNERD

Thank you for your response, but I have been there done that for many years. It's not practical for today's reality.

RentPBX has been solid and reliable. An since I am out more then in including trips overseas it has been the correct answer for a long time now. Cheap is not the goal, stable and reliable is.

KNERD

Reaction score
If you need reliability, then go with Digital Ocean where you can make backups and servers tend to stay up there.

Another reliable option is Joe's Data Center where you can get an actual server with 8GB of RAM, 500GB disk space, and multi cores for little as $25 a month, but backups on you. They will install any OS you want on it.

Maybe @wardmundy can start a new list of "Reliable" services/providers?

Last edited:

dhoppy

Reaction score
I've been using Vultr in LA for 3 different clients for at least 3-4 years (windows servers, 3CX, and Incredible PBX). I haven't experienced any downtime.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Our personal favorite for high-end KVM platforms is SSDnodes. Terrific special ends today. $99/year gets you 24GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 4 CPUs, and 12TB transfer/mo. No backup option so we use two in different locations with rsync.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.