R.I.P. RentPBX Support ??

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Our personal favorite for high-end KVM platforms is SSDnodes. Terrific special ends today. $99/year gets you 24GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 4 CPUs, and 12TB transfer/mo. No backup option so we use two in different locations with rsync.

What do you use a 24GB machine for? I could see using the 240GB SSD for maybe keeping recordings for multiple servers, or possibly using this as a repository for keeping backups of all your Vultr servers, or possible even playing with a nice big FusionPBX box ???

KNERD

Reaction score
What do you use a 24GB machine for? I could see using the 240GB SSD for maybe keeping recordings for multiple servers, or possibly using this as a repository for keeping backups of all your Vultr servers, or possible even playing with a nice big FusionPBX box ???

They are probably offering such high memory to save in the long run on SSD drive replacement. The more usable memory you have, the less need there is for memory page swaps to the drive (and improved performance). In this case, the more read and writes to an SSD, shorter the life span. SSD is still not as cheap as mechanical drives, and last year for a few months, there was a price increase on them.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

We use these for redundant servers for Nerd Vittles and Incredible PBX and some personal web sites plus mail and NeoRouter server platforms. Check out our webcams on Pawleys Island (pawleys.org) and in Charleston (remleyspoint.org) if you enjoy hurricanes up close. We'll be waving... hopefully not from the roof. :)

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
if you enjoy hurricanes up close. We'll be waving... hopefully not from the roof. :)

You do know I'm in northern Palm Beach County - LOL ... still have electricity and think we got lucky - hopefully I put up shutters for nothing.

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
I want to create a piaf 3.6.5 on vultr to move my rentpbx instance over. Can someone advise on a link to the correct howto for getting 3.6.5 installed on top of their preconfigured centos?

I want to move the pictured instance over to vultr. I need to move it as it has significant customizations that I am not wanting to recreate at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Kmcdaniel,

I was in somewhat of the same position - I had a Green PBX running at home. I upgraded to 16-15 (still at home).

I'd suggest you upgrade to a newer, more supported machine. The transition should be painless (mine wasn't).

Since all your extensions are remote, configure a PJSIP only system and move the port to 5060. Your extensions will never know the difference.

You can spin up a Centos 7 OS and then run the install script - you obviously won't need dahdi.

Who is your provider for DIDs and minutes?

Andrew

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
Kmcdaniel,

I was in somewhat of the same position - I had a Green PBX running at home. I upgraded to 16-15 (still at home).

I'd suggest you upgrade to a newer, more supported machine. The transition should be painless (mine wasn't).

Since all your extensions are remote, configure a PJSIP only system and move the port to 5060. Your extensions will never know the difference.

You can spin up a Centos 7 OS and then run the install script - you obviously won't need dahdi.

Who is your provider for DIDs and minutes?

Andrew
I would love to just transfer it over to 15-16. Unfortunately, I have aastra phones with the scripts running on this box and want to just keep it purring for now.

I am using vitelity.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
You thinking RentPBX is close to the edge?
It's pretty obvious, at least from the IPBX standpoint, that RentPBX isn't keeping up with the latest and greatest. So why wait for it all to go BOOM and have to scramble?

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
The fact that RentPBX is not keeping up is obvious. But solid and stable has a lot going for it. I am hoping to get through the rest of the year focused on priorities and then address this issue late in first quarter..

KNERD

Reaction score
Our personal favorite for high-end KVM platforms is SSDnodes. Terrific special ends today. $99/year gets you 24GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 4 CPUs, and 12TB transfer/mo. No backup option so we use two in different locations with rsync.

A company I work with used that deal, and so far no complaints after a few months, but.... the VPS was shutdown one day without warning, or reason.

Then today, by accident , I ran into this. Quite lengthy.

KNERD

Reaction score
A company I work with got the 2-3 year prepaid deal with SSD Nodes. The server keeps going down. I would not reccomend SSD nodes at all.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.