R.I.P. RentPBX Support ??

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am a very long time RentPBX customer and have never really had an issue with their support. The offering has been beyond stable and solid.

However, it is stuck back in time, and for some reason I can't get an answer on direction with regards to CentOS 7 and 64B OS support. Which means I am stuck on the 13-13
build I have. Since it's now getting time to refresh, I am not sure if I should be shopping for new options or sticking it out with these guys.

Curious as to what others are doing, and if anyone is getting any responses from the RentPBX team.

TIA --

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Just thought I would bump this, as I know there are other RentPBX users here --

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
@krzykat

Are yo saying you brought the services back in house on local VM's or you moved to another hosting services where you had bare metal access. ? In house is not an option for me, to much road time..

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@phonebuff: RentPBX is caught in a quandary. Their system design requires 32-bit operating systems, and those are all but dead with the latest Linux releases. I've offered to design current versions of Incredible PBX for them if they'd move to 64-bit support, but I never got a response. Lots of cloud options out there from the cheap solutions (some with snapshots) to Vultr and Digital Ocean with snapshots and automatic backups. Coupons are available at the top of the Nerd Vittles main page.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
@wardmundy

Thank you. It's an interesting quandary. RentPBX has been solid and reliable. An since I am out more then in including trips overseas it has been the correct answer for a long time now. Cheap is not the goal, stable and reliable is.

@all
I am curious what has the community seen in the AWS world as far as stability and cost of a instance with Asterisk running ?

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Vultr with free snapshots is hard to beat for production systems.
Unless you had instances in LA in the last 6 months , I lost several customers due to their broken network and incompetent support. Ask if you want more details.

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
Vultr Toronto has been stellar. Yes, all my eggs are in 1 basket and some day I may get burned for it. :)

krzykat

Guru
Reaction score
I have had downtime in the past few years with both Atlanta and Miami before ... but its been a while and supposedly the Atlanta is more robust.

@dicko I'm asking. What happened? Last time something like that happened to me (Miami flaked with their internet - believe DDOS) - I busted my ass doing restores of backups to a new instance in a different region - and then the pain in the ass of changing FQDN's and carrier routings (I know dsiprouter would make that part so easy), all in all, I was able to migrate with creating a new instance and getting them back up in under an hour. Pure panic mode though for sure.

Reactions: wardmundy

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Okay, looking at Vultr Miami.. Given all the options they have is there a recommendation for the size / space that you all have found works best when moving fro RentPBX ?

While my uptime expectation is five nines, my usage is relatively light.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Unless it's a very busy PBX, 1GB RAM is more than ample with swapfile. For low volume, home server, the 512MB option works fine as well.

Members online

PIAF 5 - Powered by 3CX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treimers