NO JOY Ready: Asteridex - Outlook sync

Devil

Reaction score
Great, looks like we're getting somewhere.

Name: Scherzig Sean
HomePhone: blank
Business Phone: 619 815-7027 x222
MobilePhone: (619) 111-2222

The good thing that came out of it is that all the names that didn't have phone numbers associated with them sat inside "HomePhone"

The other thing is it the field shows up as "Mobile Phon" without the E.
Also, is there a way I could put the last name to show up as first?

Thanks guys for helping me with this.

Somebody please help?
PBXiaf afterall, is a complete solution that's supposed to even work for newbs. If it doesn't, the least we could expect is some help to accomplish..

Thanks..

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Exporting and importing from various applications is an art, not a science. The tool that's been provided does most of the heavy lifting. That doesn't mean you aren't going to have to do some manual tweaking yourself. For example, adding x222 onto the end of a phone number will be a problem for AsteriDex if you plan to use it to dial phone numbers. Good luck!

Devil

Reaction score
Exporting and importing from various applications is an art, not a science. The tool that's been provided does most of the heavy lifting. That doesn't mean you aren't going to have to do some manual tweaking yourself. For example, adding x222 onto the end of a phone number will be a problem for AsteriDex if you plan to use it to dial phone numbers. Good luck!

No, I just need some help moving the first name as first name, and last name as last.

That's all.
Thanks!

compuguy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just installed this and the names and numbers show up ok in the "outlook" tab in asteridex, it has assigned the shortcodes ok. Thnere are two problems one of which has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

It show name etc ut the e is missing off mobile phone ie it says mobile phon

The second problem is when i press the sync button I get the list displayed again but with an error at the top of the page says 'Database query-home failed' and the contacts don't sync.

I have increases the timeout in php.ini but i am only trying to sync 80 contacts.

any ideas?

compuguy

Reaction score
ok, managed to sort it, i exported from outlook into 2 steps of 40 records each and in worked fine.

It is probably something that is getting screwed up when i transfer from my pc to the PBX. I am using WinSCP

slickrock22

Reaction score
Same problem here with names populating the Name and Home Phone field. In the Outlook export it is using double quotes around fields to signify the field and a comma as the separator. It seems as thought the Asterdex import program is not considering quotes as field identifiers. Is this the non standard MS format you mentioned?

Devil

Reaction score
I think development has completely stalled in this regard. No one wants to help anymore.

It's an awesome app, but too bad there's no one out there who seems to know how to work it if they're not a programmer.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I think we've explained how the import file needs to look. It doesn't take a programmer to get that done. Simply manipulate the data on the Microsoft side to make it conform.

jono

Reaction score
That was interesting getting it all to work!

Unless I missed something reading the whole thread, there are some changes needed to the instructions.

My text file had to have double quotes round the column headers and commas between - "Name","Home Phone","Business Phone","Mobile Phonee" (plus an extra e on the end)

The actual list didn't require the double quotes.

The file outlook.php goes in /var/www/html/asteridex4/ and not the same folder as outlook.txt which goes in /var/www

The import process fails if there is an apostrophe in the name.

Thanks for the app Ward. Now that I've worked out the foibles, it'll be a very quick process next time.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
I missed something --

Ward, I went and installed this on a box for a user to look at and it works great. But I don;t think I have the latest version as it only appears to support a single name / phone number..

Did the wget from
Code:
wget http://bestof.nerdvittles.com/applications/asteridex4/asteridex4.zip

Is this not the latest and greatest ?

TIA,
-----

PS: Once I get the Cisco Phone script converted to Asterisex from Sugar I will post it back to the group.

jamaica007

Reaction score
Just curious was the asteridex outlook.php script finished? looks like progress was made just didnt see the application.

Nttranbao

Reaction score
Thank you for this amazing tool. But I think it should be called "Outlook Contact Importer" or simlar, since the name "Outlook sYNC" means once we create a contact in Outlook, it will also be synced automatically to AsteriDex Database, and vice versa.

Regarding cool AsteriDex, I suggest next step is to turn it into powerful CMS (Contact Management System), with lots of field beside Phone No. (company Name/Street, Website, Director Name...). And with search function. Yes, with less than 50 contacts I'm fine with browsing the tabs, but no with more than that, says 300+ contacts.

Just some ideas I want to share with you, in the hope of making it better.

Thank you very much for your great job,

Bao nguyen.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Not working for me

It did not work for me. Outlook.txt looks like this (numbers and names changed for privacy):
Code:
"Name","Home Phone","Business Phone","Mobile Phonee"
"John Doe, ","8432351234",,"8434464321"
"Jane Doe, ",,,"8434216789"
"Chris Someone, ","8439790000",,
"Myself, ",,,"8433259999"
It is also attached.
My result is this:
picture31d.png

And I tried it with Mobile Phone and Phonee, same result.
Running PIAF 1.4 Orgasmatron GV
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• outlook.txt
    178 bytes · Views: 5

therock112

Reaction score
rossiv:

the reason it did not work for you is because your comma's appear to be in the wrong place.

I glanced over your data which you posted and I see the following:

"John Doe, ","8432351234",,"8434464321"

shouldnt your name field be as following:

"John Doe",

watch where the double quotes end and the comma comes along.

I am guessing this might be a starting point, just a guess.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
That is what I saw in the example on page 1, I think...
I will try it again...
BTW, I am not using Outlook, rather Excel and modifing in TextEdit on Mac OS X 10.5

Reaction score
i followed all the steps and everything looks fine on the import table but there is no button to run the import

"Then click the button below to sync your Outlook contacts with your AsteriDex database"

There is no button below ????

Any ideas ?

Reaction score
Fixed the export and sync now appears at the bootom of the page but now after i sync i get

Database query-home failed

Adrian_Novice

Reaction score
thank you for posting this, it worked. couple of notes:
my outlook.txt file looks like this if edited in notepad++ , not sure why there are examples showing double quotes round the entries, so might help others;
"Name","Home Phone","Business Phone","Mobile Phone"
Helen ,,,01234854321
Vince ,,,04567123456

secondly, I had to remove (remark with '#') the other mime type listed in the file;
root@incrediblepi2:~# more /etc/mime.types | grep xml
#application/xml xml xsl xsd
<< omitted for brevity >>
text/xml xml
root@incrediblepi2:~#

Note sure if limitation of script or number of entries (I have 470), but can't just press 'submit' button without at least 2 characters entered.

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.